Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Involuntary SWU downgrade whilst seated on the plane

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Involuntary SWU downgrade whilst seated on the plane

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2017, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Often1
OP, in this third-person report of what his GF said in her "message" (which leads me to believe that all of this is drawn from a text, voicemail, email not even an interchange between the two), says that the GF received a voucher. But, he's never provided the $ amount.

There is no particular reason for AA to do what it does quite well on flight oversales. It routinely pays $1,000 for VDB's on micro-haul flights where the VDB means a 2-3 hour delay. But, there's no reason to get into all of that because this situation is not mandated and all that is required is that the fare difference be paid, e.g. SWU returned.

AA has gotten out of the business of tossing compensation in the forms of miles & vouchers where it's not necessary. It wasn't here.
It was a voucher for $600 that cannot be used for an amount that totals over $1000.

To provide a short update, my girlfriend informed me that she wasn't the only person that got downgraded. There was another passenger that had to move to Y because he had an inoperable seat. When my GF asked whether that was the issue for her too, the gate agent repeated that her upgrade had been issued in error (which is ........ according to the EXP agent I spoke to on the phone at the time). She was not offered the opportunity to switch flights, and the agent I spoke to said that there was zero availability on the next AA flight anyway.

I've seen a lot of strange replies from other posters, so to reiterate, my complaint has nothing to do with her receiving a voucher or getting my SWU back (that I have no chance of using anyway as it expires in January). The issues were that:
  • She had been looking forward to the flight for ages, I used the SWU as a mini-christmas present as I knew she wasn't even keen on short-haul flights. Instead she ends up getting kicked out of the seat, gets some awful treatment from the agent, and ends up sitting in a .... seat at the back of the plane.
  • I had been talking up how she could relax, sleep, and even visit the arrivals lounge in LHR once she landed. I also knew that I wouldn't have to wait a long time to pick her up as she would get a fast pass immigration coupon. Both of those things were taken away when she got downgraded.
  • The handling of the event from start to finish by American has been appalling. Even in the response email from customer service they are trying to lie and say that she was downgraded because of a faulty seat.
  • She is now worried that the same thing is going to happen again in a couple of days when she returns home, and she really isn't keen on flying American ever again - which is totally understandable.
Originally Posted by jayer
Well, if you would post the original seat number and what 777 interior version she was flying; there used to be people on this board who were Sabre subscribers, They can at least tell you if she was bumped for a paying passenger or another upgrader. Which goes a long way towards determining just how frustrating the situation should be. But not nearly as much fun as pages of dueling speculation.
Her seat was 11k and I believe it had 12 rows in total - so v2 maybe?

Originally Posted by JonNYC
The claim made here that: is patently false. Day-of-Departure may step in in some cases, but that's a far, far cry from these claims that it's in -any- way automated or visible/computer-dictated to gate agents in anything resembling the way described.
To be fair the EXP agent did specifically mention to me that the selection was automated after she called a member of revenue management to see what the reason was for the downgrade.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 6:24 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by TBD
Ha. Maybe.

But seriously. The airlines could prevent all of these situations by stopping their stupid upgrade policies. Leave J for the people paying J until you know you can give it away (and write the policy to match). It's so easy, but airlines would rather just jerk their pax around. Why anyone has sympathy for the airline is beyond me ....
Maybe based on my 2000 flights with AA without a similar problem?

I apologize if I sometimes acerbic, that probably isn't fair to the individual. But when people start acting like the entire airline should stop and rethink how to handle their problem, today, instead of thinking about future consequences it annoys me. Am I always happy with AA? Absolutely not. When Mike Gunn sent me a letter saying that my 196,000 miles could be redeemed off the old award chart forever I was pleased. When about 10 years later AA said "We don't really care, we are just giving you 1.5 miles for each mile and cancelling Mike's promise" I was pissed. And I am sure there have been other disappointments and even some anger over the last 35 years. But I don't accept that every post by a hit-and-run on these boards requires a change in procedure by AA. (I remember another one - I started the Refreshments thread - but, without checking, I suspect that I said I didn't like what they did - I don't think I suggested that anyone should lose their job nor did I imply that they were going to change airline policy for me).

Okay, so here is my "worst" story about a seat (but it was Pan Am, not AA). 30 years ago I was booked from MIA-LAX on a J award. But there wasn't J space, so my wife and I were in Y. The GA gave us our boarding pass in Y, but told us to wait and she would try to get us into J. About 30 minutes later it is a zoo (cruise day) and she yells at the crowd "no more seats." I stand up and wave at her from the back of the crowd. She turns to the Red Coat and says "my mistake, Brower on, Chifferman off" (yes, I still remember the name after 30 years). We walk onto the jet bridge with the red coat. He goes back and talks to the passengers. Then he comes back to the door "I am sorry, your seats are occupied, you can't fly today." I said "my wife wants to get home to new baby, and I am starting a new job tomorrow morning and tomorrow night I have a flight from LAX-BOS for work." He says "Sorry, since you are on award you need to wait for the flight tomorrow, so 24 hour delay, too bad." I said "I am not getting off the plane." Remember this was 30 years ago. Pilot apparently didn't think it was his problem so no member of the flight crew ever spoke to us. 30 minutes later I am still standing in the door with my wife, and the Red Coat comes back on the plane, with tears in his eyes (he didn't look like the type of guy who did a lot of crying). "The police say they won't be here for another 45 minutes, would you please get off the plane so I can dispatch it?" My wife points out that getting arrested won't get me home any sooner. So we get off and go to talk to the lead (Miami was a big Pan Am facility). He says "too bad that the gate agent admits it is her fault, I won't put you on another airline's flight, wait until tomorrow." I walk to a phone booth (remember those?) a call AA and book a one-way flight home. When we get up to the ticket counter I ask for the supervisor. I told him "Your co-equal in the terminal said you won't help me. But I want to tell you a story. 5 minutes later he shook his head, walked into his office, and handed us free tickets for the AA flight home. When I got home I sued Pan Am and Chifferman (not small claims - real court). In the course of discovery they produced the passenger list (yes, the entire passenger list for the flight with everyone's name and seating assignment). Then they settled for $14,000 cash (which, 30 years ago, was a good amount of cash).

So, can I disagree with an airline? Yes. Do I think they are perfect? No. But I still think that Dr. Dao was 100% wrong and I am still not sure about the GF in this thread.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 6:35 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
In OPs follow-up post, he notes that AA claimed GF's seat was faulty--but she seemed to have NO issues.
Even if there were J availability on later flights, it would not be in AA's best interest to make that known...due to luggage retrieval and flight delay issues.
I'm puzzled by the GF being given a voucher for $600, but it can't be used for fares over $1000.
Hopefully this "fiasco" is a random event--or will lead to posts from other pax who were similarly ill-treated by AA.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nrr
Even if there were J availability on later flights, it would not be in AA's best interest to make that known...due to luggage retrieval and flight delay issues.
Do you think a passenger who is getting kicked out of the seat they're sitting in (confirmed and paid for months ago) should really give two rats about AA's best interest in getting the flight out ontime?
Old Dec 24, 2017, 8:38 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by sbrower
Maybe based on my 2000 flights with AA without a similar problem?

I apologize if I sometimes acerbic, that probably isn't fair to the individual. But when people start acting like the entire airline should stop and rethink how to handle their problem, today, instead of thinking about future consequences it annoys me.
Interesting story (truly). But suggesting that 2,000 flights has somehow given you a basis to evaluate the ethics of an airline's operations is absurd. If AA wants to roll over on you tomorrow, we all know that longevity won't stop them.

Saying that "whelp, this is policy" is a shortsighted response - precisely what you say annoys you. Changing their operations so that you cannot have a cabin with x seats and x+1 passengers onboard is precisely how you consider and prevent "future consequences".
Old Dec 24, 2017, 8:46 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ijgordon

Do you think a passenger who is getting kicked out of the seat they're sitting in (confirmed and paid for months ago) should really give two rats about AA's best interest in getting the flight out ontime?
Of course not--that's why AA would keep them in the dark about their other options.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by nrr
I'm puzzled by the GF being given a voucher for $600, but it can't be used for fares over $1000..
The voucher probably says it can't have a value over $1000, and OP is reading it incorrectly.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 9:37 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dickinson
The voucher probably says it can't have a value over $1000, and OP is reading it incorrectly.
But if GF is now so enamored with AA--the $600 voucher would be of little interest if she never flies AA again.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
To the OP, you should ask that the SWU be reinstated for another year, due to this fiasco. This is the least they can do here in regards to the SWU.
ijgordon, nutwpinut and Lost like this.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by kb9522

No, I mean there are fundamental differences in the operating environment for each carrier that may or may not cause it to be cost prohibitive to do what people want them to do.

AA is more profitable than CX. Now maybe that's an argument that they don't need to provide decent customer service, but certainly not one that they operate in a prohibitively expensive environment. More to the point, this sort of situation is pretty rare, but makes a big impression on customers based on how it's handled.

I find it difficult to believe one can make a legitimate comparison between a Hong Kong based carrier and a US based one.
It's a global business. OP's girlfriend was on an international route. AA needs to be competitive with whoever else might fly the route, not just other airlines that happen to be domiciled in the US.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
It is entirely possible that AA ---- whether employees or software ---- loused up. But, once it had loused up and there was one too many passengers, the decision to identify the passenger at the last minute was handled exactly the way AA's policy reads and that is, for the remainder of the passengers, a good thing.
Following the policy is not actually a good outcome if the policy sucks.
travelinterpreters likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jordyn
Following the policy is not actually a good outcome if the policy sucks.
At least if the policy sucks people can know it sucks and decide whether they want to buy a ticket and potentially be subject to said policy. And if you gamble knowingly on the policy, well "I told you so!"
Old Dec 25, 2017, 10:40 pm

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ijgordon

At least if the policy sucks people can know it sucks and decide whether they want to buy a ticket and potentially be subject to said policy. And if you gamble knowingly on the policy, well "I told you so!"
Most people don't have time to read all the policies and don't realize such crappy policies exist until they encounter it. I encountered a crappy policy with AA branded Citi Credit Card 10+ years ago that eventually led me to cancelling the card. Now there is a law so the crappy policy is no longer needed. Yeah!

Crappy Citi policy rant:
I was in Italy for the Olympics and needed cash and there were some issues with my ATM card so I used my CC to get some cash. I had to stretch my payment 2 months to pay it off. I wanted to make payments to the cash advance which had a higher interest rate.
  1. I could not pay online
  2. I had to write a check
  3. I had to compose a letter with my intentions
  4. I had to write on the check notes what my intention was
  5. I had to mail it to a separate address and use a stamp
They had a policy which was ridiculous and by law now your payments first goes to the higher interest rates items before going to the lower interest rate items.

Last edited by nutwpinut; Dec 25, 2017 at 11:15 pm Reason: changed not* to now*
Old Dec 25, 2017, 11:00 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nutwpinut
Most people don't have time to read all the policies and don't realize such crappy policies exist until they encounter it. I encountered a crappy policy with AA branded Citi Credit Card 10+ years ago that eventually led me to cancelling the card. Now there is a law so the crappy policy is no longer needed. Yeah!

Crappy Citi policy rant:
I was in Italy for the Olympics and needed cash and there were some issues with my ATM card so I used my CC to get some cash. I had to stretch my payment 2 months to pay it off. I wanted to make payments to the cash advance which had a higher interest rate.
  1. I could not pay online
  2. I had to write a check
  3. I had to compose a letter with my intentions
  4. I had to write on the check notes what my intention was
  5. I had to mail it to a separate address and use a stamp
They had a policy which was ridiculous and by law not your payments first goes to the higher interest rates items before going to the lower interest rate items.
Even after you did 1-5, there was still the possibility that your letter was "lost" in the mail and/or it wasn't processed correctly.
PS: AA issues e-vouchers as well as paper vouches, the latter has to be mailed to AA (with the potential of being lost in the mail) or transacted with a TA by going to an airport.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 3:25 am

Programs: AA EXP
Nobody cares that the “policy” was followed, they care that the policy in this case is BS. The policies aren’t something holy, they're not sacred commandments delivered from God. This “policy” isn’t a law or regulation either. They’re one-sided agreements written by the airline. The only say the individual customer has in this policy is whether or not to accept the fare, and there is nobody, even here, who looks up the IDB policy of every ticket prior to purchase. It took forever to even find the relevant “policy” in this case.
The airline wants that seat back? Not my mistake, make it a truly fair trade for me (at least J seat on the next flight out plus a voucher for the hassle) and I’ll accept. A voucher and getting shuffled back to a last row middle seat isn’t going to cut it. What’s the adage, “a lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part”? If anything the customer is doing the airline a favor in this case.

It is 100% reasonable that the consumer should expect to be compensated fairly according to what their expectations were given what they paid, and not accept involuntary last second downgrades to Y “because the airline now wants the seat back” and “the conditions of carriage only stipulate it”. That’s total BS. If the policy for compensation in this case sucks, then it is 100% the right of the consumer to publicize it and have it face public scrutiny. That’s what happened with the Dao situation, and lo and behold UA is still in business even after terminating their consumer unfriendly policy. They turned out ok and the consumer won a small victory...because enough people complained.
Insulator-King likes this.

Last edited by axck; Dec 26, 2017 at 3:32 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.