Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DFW-CDG business class questions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2017, 7:27 pm

My advice really would vary depending on multiple factors such as pricing, availability, schedule overseas, length of trip, etc. not to mention what you happen to value most.

In terms of convenience, obviously the direct AA flight would cut down on total travel time and avoids worries of making connections, etc. but if you factor in things like service levels, it gets a bit more tricky in my opinion. Assuming the trip is all in business class (as in not considering the possibility of springing for F) and likewise you're open to spending a little time in London, my personal preference would be to do AA on the outbound for the better bed in terms of length, etc. But I'd then consider taking BA on the way back on the day flight when sleeping is less of a priority but generally (in my opinion) service is better on BA. Here's the thing though, you could do a quick flight on BA from CDG to LHR, but if you have the extra time and flexibility - and like rail - I'd take the Eurostar from Paris up to London, then spend some time in the city once in London, before then doing the BA flight back to the states. I may be the minority here but I have no issues with flying in/out of LHR, actually I quite like the airport - perhaps I've just always been lucky going through there... I do also like the BA lounges there, although they're not "oh my god" earth-shattering so I believe realistic expectations are key (but they are better than most AA lounges if you ask me). When looking at AA vs. BA business class, I still stand by my opinion that AA has the better hard product (on 777s and 787s - not necessarily true on 767s, 757s, etc) but BA is almost always better on soft product, service, professionalism, etc. which is important to me on daytime flights.

The other alternative IF budget is a little more flexible (or looking at awards, etc.) would be to take BA in F on the outbound (yes, I still romance sitting in the nose of the 747), then again do the Eurostar to Paris (or the quick connecting flight, although it will be rather lackluster - think basically domestic F here), and finally do the AA direct return in J since it would get you home fastest.

Again, there are multiple factors and usually I try to mix and match the carriers on most of my overseas trips, to be able to get the best of each in one trip.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 7:53 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by AndyAA
Depending upon what you want to do, you could try to book a long connection of 23 hours and get to spend a day in London before heading over to Paris. For international travel, you get up to 24 hours to connect. Otherwise, I'd opt for the non-stop.

LHR isn't worth to see just to connect. But if you can get a day in London out of it, that might be worth considering.
Another option if one wants a bit of London time is an open jaw to LHR, enjoy London, take Eurostar to Paris, fly back nonstop to DFW from CDG. (You won’t have to pay the Air Passeher Duty flying INTO the U.K.) Eurostar is so much better than BA Club Europe (30” pitch) it’s not even comparable.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 11:05 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by 50ae
This will be my first trip overseas that isn't on a warship. I'm just looking for advice on what's the best way to book DFW-CDG. Should I stop in HR and use that amazing lounge or should I fly nonstop. Nonstop would be on AA metal but the LHR would be on BA. I've never flown BA before so I'm not sure how they compare.
BA J really isn't that bad - the food and the service exceed AA, but unless you can get yourself the right seat pre-assigned (as you probably could as an EXP) the seat could be terrible.

However, Heathrow isn't really all that bad and the T3 lounges (esp the CX F lounge) are definitely worth a visit.

If I was doing a trip like this I would fly non-stop to CDG and then fly CDG-LHR one day and then on from LHR-DFW the next day, ideally with plenty of time to head into London and have a hotel there with time to enjoy the evening.

But then I am British and I haven't lived there for 20 years!
50ae likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 5:38 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Having gone thru LHR a lot, its not bad, can be busy at times, especially around the holidays, the lounges are decent, CX was not open when I was there, the BA first in T-3 was nice and quite, great selection of "adult stuff"
but chances are you may not be connecting thru T-3 but T-5 on your onward journery.
The BA business class intra Europe is just a middle seat that is blocked, so not really worth it,
You have not memtioned how many days you will be spending there, that would be a factor too.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 8:00 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
AA J is tons better than Ba, seat-wise, and maybe marginally better service-wise.

All the wisdom here about skipping LHR rings true...unless you need to arrive at CDG having showered, in which case at stop at LHR could be just what the doctor ordered.
50ae likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 8:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Even for an extraordinary lounge, if you are headed to Paris, fly to CDG. Every connection presents more potential for something to go wrong. While the hop from LHR-CDG is short, your AA J ticket gets you into Club Europe on BA. All that means is a Y seat with the middle blocked, so it is not a desireable form of travel given that you have asked about the AA J product.
Dallas49er likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
On the DFW-CDG leg, the OP will only have access to the T5 lounges which aren't great enough to warrant connecting (at least he'd have access to Galleries First as an EXP. IMO Galleries Club at T5 is no better than most Admiral's Clubs). If the OP were to route CDG-LHR-DFW on the way home, with the LHR-DFW leg on AA, then they would get access to the better CX and QF lounges in T3, but I still don't think they are worth the risk of the connection, especially not with the short leg in Club Europe (Y seat with the middle blocked).
50ae likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
For your first trip overseas in a long time you should do a LHR stopover in at least one direction. It's fun to explore the terminal, do some shopping at outlets of Harrods, Fortnum and Mason, etc, and spend some time in the lounges. Although it will mean a transfer between T3 and T5, I recommend sticking with AA on the long flights. I prefer the service on BA -- the DFW-CDG AA flight is notorious for mean old crones as FAs -- but the BA J cabin is tolerable only if there are plenty of open seats.

DFW-CDG-LHR-DFW would probably be your best bet. Allow plenty of time for any LHR connection.
50ae likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.