FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   DFW-CDG business class questions (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1882794-dfw-cdg-business-class-questions.html)

50ae Dec 14, 2017 12:18 pm

DFW-CDG business class questions

This will be my first trip overseas that isn't on a warship. I'm just looking for advice on what's the best way to book DFW-CDG. Should I stop in HR and use that amazing lounge or should I fly nonstop. Nonstop would be on AA metal but the LHR would be on BA. I've never flown BA before so I'm not sure how they compare.

wrp96 Dec 14, 2017 12:24 pm

Currently AA's business class is much better than BA's IMO, and there is no lounge at LHR that makes a connection worthwhile over a non-stop.

Superjeff Dec 14, 2017 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by wrp96 (Post 29174130)
Currently AA's business class is much better than BA's IMO, and there is no lounge at LHR that makes a connection worthwhile over a non-stop.

No question. AA is 1-2-1 while BA is 2-4-2; food quality appears similar. take the nonstop.

mvoight Dec 14, 2017 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by 50ae (Post 29174094)
This will be my first trip overseas that isn't on a warship. I'm just looking for advice on what's the best way to book DFW-CDG. Should I stop in HR and use that amazing lounge or should I fly nonstop. Nonstop would be on AA metal but the LHR would be on BA. I've never flown BA before so I'm not sure how they compare.

No reason to stop at LHR on this trip. The lounge isn't worth making a connection.
My first trip across the pond was also on a warship, back in 1982. Over 30 years later, I started TATL cruises......... a much better experience.
Besides, my first trip on a ship had IRROPS. We were heading out of our first port call, Gibraltar, to do a missile exercise with the British.
We never got to launch a missile i the North Atlantic, the British had to rush down to the Falklands

arlflyer Dec 14, 2017 12:48 pm

This being Flyertalk, I am tempted to give this oddball response that is like, well, if you don't travel internationally very often and won't be in the future, and if you could get DFW to LHR on AA and then connect on to CDG with BA, there might be some novelty value in experiencing all that is LHR, but yeah, probably take AA J direct to CDG if you can swing it. :D

Antarius Dec 14, 2017 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by arlflyer (Post 29174261)
This being Flyertalk, I am tempted to give this oddball response that is like, well, if you don't travel internationally very often and won't be in the future, and if you could get DFW to LHR on AA and then connect on to CDG with BA, there might be some novelty value in experiencing all that is LHR, but yeah, probably take AA J direct to CDG if you can swing it. :D

The lounge is fun.. but shorthaul BA.. even in "J" is torture.

Definitely take the nonstop.

50ae Dec 14, 2017 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius (Post 29174367)

Just a question about your post script with all those airports in 2017. How do you accomplish anything when you never seem to touch down. Dang you fly a lot.

bse118 Dec 14, 2017 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by wrp96 (Post 29174130)

Completely agree with this. But there are other reasons to take the LHR connection.

I find that the DFW-CDG flight departs too early in the day (around 5pm local DFW time) for me to be able to get any meaningful sleep on the flight. I often prefer the late departures to LHR with an onward connection, because it is easier to sleep. And has the added benefit of being guaranteed to be able to check directly in to my hotel upon arrival.

Now, I don't find the LHR transfer process as arduous as some folks here do.

50ae Dec 14, 2017 1:24 pm

I was trying to figure out how to use those SWU's but have, as yet, figured out how to use them on this trip.

arlflyer Dec 14, 2017 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius (Post 29174367)

I know, I know! Hence all the hedging. I mean, if it was OP's only time, like, ever, to go to LHR and say he saw LHR...well, then we'd probably get a bunch of comments saying a life avoiding LHR was a life well lived. :D

Head Dec 14, 2017 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by arlflyer (Post 29174261)

I count airports visited as countries / states visited so Id consider it!

Just a few weeks back I added South Korea to the list after IRROPS sent me to ICN vs HKG. 😂

Dallas49er Dec 14, 2017 5:48 pm

Monthly (or more) commuter DFW-CDG-DFW.

Avoid LHR in either direction like it had Ebolla. It is a(n) excrement show, even when everything is working. The lounge is really good, but not worth the aggravation, crap, and stupidity that accompanies a transfer from T-3 to anywhere.

CDG-With no carry-ons, and depending on traffic, you can be in almost any Arrondissment in 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or less, in time for lunch, from the time your foot hits the jetway.

flyingeph12 Dec 14, 2017 6:27 pm

I echo the majority here. AA J is generally better than BA J in my opinion. The lounges at LHR, particularly at T5, are fine but nothing special—and certainly not worth a connection. If you really want to check out lounges, I would probably prefer connections in MIA or ORD (for the new Flagship lounges, which even serve Bolly).

AndyAA Dec 14, 2017 6:37 pm

Depending upon what you want to do, you could try to book a long connection of 23 hours and get to spend a day in London before heading over to Paris. For international travel, you get up to 24 hours to connect. Otherwise, I'd opt for the non-stop.

LHR isn't worth to see just to connect. But if you can get a day in London out of it, that might be worth considering.

dave_261 Dec 14, 2017 7:13 pm

I'd take the non-stop... no compelling reason for a connection here.

That said, I'm apparently one of the few who doesn't mind LHR. Maybe I've been lucky, but my T3 to T5 connections (or the reverse) are generally efficient (ok, LHR-efficient), and on the return, the CX lounge is great (and looking forward to trying out Qantas). Sure, the bus and security checks are annoying (along with a few gates which are miles away), but I'm generally from plane to lounge in the other terminal in 30-40 mins.