Search

A Grandmother dies during flight MIA-CCS

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2017, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
A Grandmother dies during flight MIA-CCS

Unfortunately, grandmother who died on AA flight from MIA-CCS. Because she had a heart attacks. They don't know where she's going. Why she flying alone? She didn't have her entire family who took care of her.

Woman dies on American Airlines flight from Miami to Caracas | Miami Herald

My condolences to her existence family. Hopefully someone will claim her body.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 10:56 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
American usually records the information for someone to be notified if there’s any incident when we fly. I’m guessing her family will be Found and notified. That’s very sad.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 5:48 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
They must know enough about her to know that she is a grandmother. There must be more to this....
Old Dec 12, 2017, 7:42 am

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by LINDEGR
They must know enough about her to know that she is a grandmother. There must be more to this....
That was indeed a bit of a interesting add in the article along with the note about her Italian nationality even though you have the bit about not commenting on the medical condition.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 7:47 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by JDiver
American usually records the information for someone to be notified if there’s any incident when we fly. I’m guessing her family will be Found and notified. That’s very sad.
I could be wrong, but I think non-US passport holders can opt out from providing emergency contact information on international flights. I think only US passport holders are required to provide emergency contact information on international flights.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 10:40 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
I could be wrong, but I think non-US passport holders can opt out from providing emergency contact information on international flights. I think only US passport holders are required to provide emergency contact information on international flights.
ANYONE can opt-out of this.
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow. In the liniked aritlce, there's a link to a Spanish-language report about her. When I asked Google to transslate that page:

Muere pasajera en pleno vuelo Miami-Caracas de American Airlines 800Noticias

Google showed me this horribly-translated headline:

American Airlines dies in Miami-Caracas flight

(I don't know why they left out "passenger", because without exactly knowing Italian -- just other romance languages -- I can tell that "passenger" is in the original headline.)

Does Google hate AA or something?

Last edited by sdsearch; Dec 13, 2017 at 12:10 pm Reason: correct which language the report was in
Old Dec 12, 2017, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA EP, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Wow. In the liniked aritlce, there's a link to an Italian report about her. When I asked Google to transslate that page:

(I don't know why they left out "passenger", because without exactly knowing Italian -- just other romance languages -- I can tell that "passenger" is in the original headline.)

That's not Italian. Try Translating from spanish to english. I think your results will make more sense.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 2:41 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Wow. In the liniked aritlce, there's a link to an Italian report about her. When I asked Google to transslate that page:

This article is definitely in Spanish.

In the translation you see, Google picked what it believed was the correct translation in context. If you copy the headline to translate.google.com, and click the english translation, you will see a better alternate translation of:

"Passenger dies in midair Miami-Caracas American Airlines"
Old Dec 13, 2017, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pdac1975
That's not Italian. Try Translating from spanish to english. I think your results will make more sense.
Sorry, my mistake. I typed Italian because I had the nationality of the woman on my mind.

But I meant that's the headline I get if I click "Translate" when Google offers to "Translate this page".

It's Google that figures out the language (when it offers to "Translate this page"), not me. So the Google's mistranslation was totally independent of my misstating of the language in my post.

Last edited by sdsearch; Dec 13, 2017 at 12:10 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.