Search

Using miles IAD-VCE

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2017, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP, HH LT Diamond
Using miles IAD-VCE

Hello,
I'm looking for a one way flight IAD-VCE. One of my options is to use AA miles on BA. I looked at a one way fare in Economy but it was $3200 or twice what a RT fare cost. My options using miles are as follows:

-22.5k Economy
-57.5k Business
-85k -First

To be honest I've not heard good things about BA recently but I'm inclined to go with First to experience the 747 for maybe the last time. I know this is probably a better question for the BA forum but for those of you who have done this or a similar trip on BA, do you think it's worth it? Or would Business be a better option?
On the return I'll be taking VA Upperclass (which I've done before and really enjoy) so I'm also curious as to how they might compare.
Thanks for any advice!
Old Nov 30, 2017, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by pdac1975
Hello,
I'm looking for a one way flight IAD-VCE. One of my options is to use AA miles on BA. I looked at a one way fare in Economy but it was $3200 or twice what a RT fare cost. My options using miles are as follows:

-22.5k Economy
-57.5k Business
-85k -First

To be honest I've not heard good things about BA recently but I'm inclined to go with First to experience the 747 for maybe the last time. I know this is probably a better question for the BA forum but for those of you who have done this or a similar trip on BA, do you think it's worth it? Or would Business be a better option?
On the return I'll be taking VA Upperclass (which I've done before and really enjoy) so I'm also curious as to how they might compare.
Thanks for any advice!
To each their own, but personally I would never blow 85k miles and over $500 in fees for BA First from the Northeast to LHR. BA First is really just a nice business class product. That, combined with the very short flight from IAD and the ridiculous fuel surcharges make it a bad proposition (IMO). But I totally get the 747 factor...

BA Business was great at one point, but it's now cramped and one of the worst int'l business products out there. And you will still pay the $500+ in fees in addition to your miles.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Yep, Thanks for the response. That's exactly what I've been hearing. Unfortunately I can't seem to find any other way to use AA miles to get to VCE.
I'll keep looking. 22.5k one way in economy seems like a good deal and like you said it's a fairly short flight.
Thanks again!
Old Nov 30, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Search PHL to VCE (and ORD to VCE if next summer).

If you can get the longhaul segment on miles, buying the cheap connecting flight could be an option.

But you could have issues checking your bag with two separate tickets.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Thank you. I just tried this out of PHL but its basically the same routes. PHL-LHR-VCE on BA.
I appreciate it though.

Originally Posted by oysterhead43
Search PHL to VCE (and ORD to VCE if next summer).

If you can get the longhaul segment on miles, buying the cheap connecting flight could be an option.

But you could have issues checking your bag with two separate tickets.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Why not IB or AA via MAD? Of course IB doesn't fly to DC but they do fly to JFK, ORD, MIA, all which are a quick flight from DC.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 8:31 pm

You can also try to fly to MXP, and get the train to Venice.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 7:54 am

I second the Iberia option. OP, what's your approximate departure date?
Old Dec 1, 2017, 9:12 am
Original Poster

I hadn't looked at Iberia. I just recently switched to AA from DL so I'm still getting the partners figured out. I'm trying to depart around March 24th. Thanks all for the help!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.