Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Responsibility of AA for Invalid Passport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Responsibility of AA for Invalid Passport?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2017, 10:38 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
If you understand this:
Originally Posted by 2y4life
I understand it is the traveller's responsibility to make sure they have all of the proper documentation
then why are you asking this:
Originally Posted by 2y4life
My question is, does AA bear any responsibility
You've answered your own question... it's "no."
Old Nov 30, 2017, 10:42 am

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There have been some recent incidents, IIRC on UA, of passengers not being allowed to fly domestic legs of international itineraries without passports. In one case, someone started on the east coast, but lives in LA and had planned to go home to pick up the passport during a stopover (or connection?) at LAX. There was another incident in which the passenger without documents was a child and IIRC the custodial parent was going to bring the passport to the airport en route.
I could be wrong, but I thought this can be resolved by just check in for domestic segment, without check in for the international segment, which was exactly I did last year on AA. HNL-LAX-JFK-LHR. While jfk to lhr is on same day, I told the agent I live in NY, she then told me she can only check in for me to NYC. With the NYC-LHR segment need to check in again in JFK.baggage only check to JFK as well.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 12:25 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by Fly2Where
I could be wrong, but I thought this can be resolved by just check in for domestic segment, without check in for the international segment, which was exactly I did last year on AA. HNL-LAX-JFK-LHR. While jfk to lhr is on same day, I told the agent I live in NY, she then told me she can only check in for me to NYC. With the NYC-LHR segment need to check in again in JFK.baggage only check to JFK as well.
Were all segments on the same ticket and was the JFK-LHR segment on AA metal?
TWA884 likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by DMPHL
What does this mean? I mean, it's true, but isn't it also true that it's better to have a competent agent at the start of a domestic feeder segment than a clueless agent at the international gateway?
Do you believe an agent at every US airport flying to an airport with an international flight should be asking every passenger if that passenger has a connection on another airline at some future time, and validate that the passport/visa situation is valid, even if AA (or OW) doesn't fly there (e.g. LAX-ICN? If so, 99.9% of AA GA are incompetent.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by enpremiere
Were all segments on the same ticket and was the JFK-LHR segment on AA metal?
Yes, all segments on 1 PNR, 1 ticket, *I originally thought it's all on AA. but double check the ticket , it's actually JFK-LHR operated by BA (AA code-share).*
Still, the HNL agent checked my bag only to JFK, due to JFK-LHR segment was not checked in. Also warned me to check in again (with passport) when arrived in JFK.

Last edited by Fly2Where; Nov 30, 2017 at 4:33 pm Reason: correction.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by sdix
If pax checking in at origin all the way thru to Laos then AA would/should have seen the expiration date. To issue a BP for the int'l segment at origin the passport would have to be scanned.
not getting all the BPs should always be a red flag
Old Nov 30, 2017, 10:35 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There have been some recent incidents, IIRC on UA, of passengers not being allowed to fly domestic legs of international itineraries without passports. In one case, someone started on the east coast, but lives in LA and had planned to go home to pick up the passport during a stopover (or connection?) at LAX. There was another incident in which the passenger without documents was a child and IIRC the custodial parent was going to bring the passport to the airport en route.
Data point. Flew UA ATL-EWR-YUL. Passport was not shown for ATL-EWR.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 12:55 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by warakorn
Believe me: it is better for the pax to have competent gate agents at the international outport (LAX) than clueless agents at the start of a domestic feeder flight.
I’d rather it be a simple passport advisement before the domestic legs with a stringent passport check when boarding intl flights.

I’d rather simply acknowledge a clueless agent’s words at the domestic feeder flight and state that I will travel on the domestic leg anyways and then deal with it at the Intl gateway rather than letting an inexperienced agent tell me what does and does not work for passports.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 1:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
I’d rather it be a simple passport advisement before the domestic legs with a stringent passport check when boarding intl flights.

I’d rather simply acknowledge a clueless agent’s words at the domestic feeder flight and state that I will travel on the domestic leg anyways and then deal with it at the Intl gateway rather than letting an inexperienced agent tell me what does and does not work for passports.
Surely - either the passport check would need to be thorough at the 1st check otherwise what is the point? if all the person is going to do is check that the person has a passport and not fully process it, then it will have done no use other than create a holdup
Old Dec 1, 2017, 3:33 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Appears to be YMMV. Just recently, I tried to get a BP for the domestic leg of an international trip on the way back from another trip (I arrived back late, had to go home and re-pack, with just 4-5 hours before heading back to the airport, so I wanted my domestic BP in hand earlier if possible vs having to go extra early to the airport and stand in line). Agent wouldn't do it because I didn't have my passport on me.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 5:27 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
If it was a week day, my first thought would be to see if the airline will rebook me on the flight the next day and head on over to the Los Angeles passport office. Some places can do same day processing (Chicago comes to mind).
Old Dec 1, 2017, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I can name another carrier - Delta - that routinely demands travel docs before allowing passengers to embark on a domestic segment with immediate connection to international. You'll hear passengers paged out of DTW as they head to ATL, JFK, LAX...

That doesn't change passenger responsibility here. 'They didn't tell me I failed soon enough' doesn't have much play.
Yep, I’ve flown Delta with a domestic leg before a flight to China, they won’t let me check in for the domestic leg without checking my visa. Once waiting at the gate for a flight to DTW, there were two other passengers who were connecting on to Japan, who were sweeting a bit because they made a mistake entering their visa information upon online check in, and the gate agent was having a hard time straightening it out, they were unable to board the flight until the agent fixed the problem.

I would argue that the bulk of the responsibility fell on the passenger, but seeing that she is eating a likely very expensive TPAC ticket, it seems that the least AA could do would be give her a free flight back to Charlotte. There is no reason AA shouldn’t check the documents at the originating airport, just to avoid unnecessary situations like this. International travel can be confusing, the airline should make sure the passenger has all their documents in order before allowing them to fly potentially 1000s of miles from home. I’ve known people to book flights through the US and Canada without realizing they were required to hold a transit visa. It is easy to make a mistake.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by onuhistorian0116
Yep, I’ve flown Delta serveral times with a domestic leg before a flight to China, they won’t let me check in for the domestic leg without checking my visa. Once waiting at the gate for a flight to DTW, there were two other passengers who were connecting on to Japan, who were sweeting a bit because they made a mistake entering their visa information upon online check in, and the gate agent was having a hard time straightening it out, they were unable to board the flight until the agent fixed the problem.

I would argue that the bulk of the responsibility fell on the passenger, but seeing that she is eating a likely very expensive TPAC ticket, it seems that the least AA could do would be give her a free flight back to Charlotte. There is no reason AA shouldn’t check the documents at the originating airport, just to avoid unnecessary situations like this. International travel can be confusing, the airline should make sure the passenger has all their documents in order before allowing them to fly potentially 1000s of miles from home. I’ve known people to book flights through the US and Canada without realizing they were required to hold a transit visa. It is easy to make a mistake.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I'm wondering what other entry requirements the cousins might have missed other than the 6 month passport validity from the entry date such as needing 2 blank pages in the passport, passport photos the $ cash for the visa on arrival fee (and that having the application form completed in advance would be easier than filling it on the day).
Old Dec 1, 2017, 7:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by wolfie52
Happened to me and my son. Our family flew to Australia then tried to continue on to Indonesia. My son was denied boarding for Indonesia in SYD for exactly the same reason. Some countries have no PP validity/visa requirements, some have 1 month, and some have 3 months and some have 6 months PP validity requirement. I felt like an idiot but I didn't try to blame anyone else: it was MY fault. I lost 6 tickets from AU to ID (couldn't just leave a 15 year old in AU). Big $$ hit for me, but lesson learned.

BTW it turned out to be a great extra week in SYD so when you have lemons; make lemonade.
Wow...This is EXACTLY what happened to me in BKK. Thai would not allow us to board
(family of four) our Bali flight because of our son's PP expiring within 6 months. We had to stay
one extra day in BKK to get his emergency PP and board next day. So we did not lose the
tickets but one day vacation !
It is my opinion that they should check the date of departure from the country before
denying entry for such cases. But maybe it is hard to enforce such things...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.