Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Thousands of December AA flights scheduled without pilots?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thousands of December AA flights scheduled without pilots?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2017, 7:46 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by diver858
Allow me to try another old saying - this one attributed to Benjamin Franklin: He that lieth down with dogs shall rise up with fleas. Pilots are responsible for Parker's seat in the executive suite; had they worked it out with Horton, things would be MUCH different - in a positive way - for both labor and customers.
Also attributed by some to Senaca. But I digress.

I find it it intriguing that the "Ringleader" union (APA), the same union that put Mr. Parker and his senior manglement team into this current level of supreme incompetence, now smells opportunity.

In a sign of their (sarcasm to full power) unmitigated self interest (sarcasm off), they now distance themselves from AA "manglement" by now choosing, yes, CHOOSING to take a hard line and make AA manglement look bad. Like Parker et al need help? Would taking the high road have been that difficult?

My personal message to the APA: (Sarcasm back to full power) Please don't worry or concern yourselves about tens of thousands of non-union members whose travel plans are now at risk. And please make sure you maximize the APA benefit, at any cost, no matter who you hurt or harm. (Sarcasm off, but total disgust still at full power).

APA can go ...
Old Dec 1, 2017, 8:00 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Here’s the deal:

There’s too much invective and personal commentary about posters and their attributed belief systems in this thread. Unless this changes, the thread will be closed. If you post here, it’s your choice: use it (in accordance with the FlyerTalk Rules) or lose it.

As a deceased and missed Moderator used to say,

“Play the ball, not the player.” - magic111

/Moderator
o2bmmw, TWA884, bse118 and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 8:07 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
It's sounding like this wasn't an IT failure. It was a human failure. The wrong parameters were entered into the trip trade system and the trip trade system did exactly what it was suppose to do with those incorrect parameters.

I wouldn't worry too much about cancelled flights. The flights will be crewed. The current dispute is just the process by which who will fly them and what level of compensation they will receive for flying them is being decided.

AAL has over 14,500 pilots. With a work group that large you can't make individual deals with individual pilots and managers or rely on the parties making individual decisions regarding what is "right". The terms of the employer-employee relationship have to be established in a manner which can be applied consistently and is enforceable (by either side). That is what this dispute is about.

Last edited by LarryJ; Dec 1, 2017 at 8:42 am
Old Dec 1, 2017, 8:15 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by JDiver
Here’s the deal:

There’s too much invective and personal commentary about posters and their attributed belief systems in this thread. Unless this changes, the thread will be closed. If you post here, it’s your choice: use it (in accordance with the FlyerTalk Rules) or lose it.

As a deceased and missed Moderator used to say,

“Play the ball, not the player.” - magic111

/Moderator
My apologies to all, including those whom I may have offended. Now taking a sedative.
george 3 likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 8:48 am

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
I was thinking that my decision to book a trip for Christmas on one of Amtrak's long-distance trains, instead of on AA, was a poor decision.
Turns out it was a good one.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by northernlights1
I’m assuming this only applies to American mainline flights and not to American Eagle contracted(sky west, republic, Mesa, etc) flights?
This is what I want to know as well. Anyone? Anyone?
Old Dec 1, 2017, 9:21 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
I was thinking that my decision to book a trip for Christmas on one of Amtrak's long-distance trains, instead of on AA, was a poor decision.
Turns out it was a good one.
Mainline only, as posted earlier in the thread.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 9:22 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by trvlr70
This is what I want to know as well. Anyone? Anyone?
It is mainline AA only.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 11:18 am

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
Seems to me like in all this battle of AA Management vs Pilot's and the Union, people seem to forget about who is going to pay the most for this if it does not get solved, the customer. I am in no way excusing AA management in this, but to me this reeks of the Union taking full advantage to stick it to management at no worry of how it affects far more people than just the pilot's and their Holiday plans.

To me, it seems like AA management is willing to give more to cover their mistake, but the Union only sees a chance to go at managemant all others be damned.

Ignoring the obvious of the massive amount of AA travelers who will be screwed if things don't get fixed... what about the other AA workers? Think of the ticket counter agents, the gate agents, res agents etc, the one's who will have to face all of the customers and deal with this if it continues to go south and flights get canceled all over with nowhere to put anyone. Also the behind the scenes workers as well.

My personal opinion is this, AA management needs to extend a healthy premium to pilots to work that were otherwise off, and the Union needs to stop using this as a chance to screw over AA management and lose business. I get it, they want to take no mercy, but this is going to affect everyone, especially if AA goes into the toilet economically because of this.

In simple terms, both sides need to figure out a resolution and fast, put aside any other issues for now, and get it done.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 11:31 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by SpinOn2
but to me this reeks of the Union taking full advantage to stick it to management at no worry of how it affects far more people than just the pilot's and their Holiday plans.
Here are the facts as I know them.

1. AA messed up and created a big problem.
2. The current contract does not provide for a remedy to their problem.
3. The union (APA) is ready and willing to meet with management to codify a remedy that will work and can be applied fairly and consistently.
4. AA management, so far, has not been willing to meet to reach an agreement.

Why is this the union's fault?
Old Dec 1, 2017, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LarryJ

3. The union (APA) is ready and willing to meet with management to codify a remedy that will work and can be applied fairly and consistently.

I am not suggesting it's the union's fault as much as I am suggesting they are enjoying it. Because they are purposely using a time of an error and great stress to instead negotiate on their contract. I am not a fan of that at all. The union is not bargaining in good faith, they are using their position because of an error and running to the well with it. Nothing good is going to come of this, the Union is practically celebrating behind closed doors because they can stick it to management. Why should AA management allow the Union to use this situation to their advantage, especially when only a few weeks out from this? It's like the union is pointing a gun at management's head but is pretending they just want to discuss fair terms.

The union and management should agree to table the talks on this until after this situation has passed, and then bargain after. This affects a lot more than just mainline pilots and AA management.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), Marriott Tit
Originally Posted by LarryJ

Well ... a different presentation of the same facts (as I understand them) would be:
  2. AA proposed to remedy the problem by offering additional compensation to the pilots who worked those flights.
  3. The union (APA) got their gender-neutral undergarments in a twist about #2 .
To the vast majority of us, who don't work in unionized environments, #3 seems utterly bizarre.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 12:11 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
American Airlines says holiday scheduling snafu nearly solved

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ved/910028001/

American Airlines says ‘only a few hundred’ flights are without pilots; union maintains thousands remain unassigned

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.bc722e22d3d1
Old Dec 1, 2017, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by PlatinumScum
Well ... a different presentation of the same facts (as I understand them) would be:
  2. AA proposed to remedy the problem by offering additional compensation to the pilots who worked those flights.
  3. The union (APA) got their gender-neutral undergarments in a twist about #2 .
To the vast majority of us, who don't work in unionized environments, #3 seems utterly bizarre.
#2 violates a contract, and the company will not put anything in writing. Who would be willing to modify a contract with nothing in writing?
jay_dubya likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Originally Posted by Tango Foxtrot
American Airlines says holiday scheduling snafu nearly solved

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ved/910028001/

American Airlines says ‘only a few hundred’ flights are without pilots; union maintains thousands remain unassigned

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.bc722e22d3d1
This was reported yesterday

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.