Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Thousands of December AA flights scheduled without pilots?

Old Nov 29, 17, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot

It seems that Reuters is reporting that thousands of AA flights in December have been scheduled without pilots due to a system error:

"JUST IN: Thousands of American Airlines flights in December do not have pilots on scheduled to fly due to system error - Allied Pilots Association"

Has anyone heard about potential fallout from this?

It looks like the APA has posted briefly on their website about it too:
https://www.alliedpilots.org/News/ID...duling-Failure

On Friday, management disclosed a failure within the pilot schedule bidding system. As a result, thousands of flights currently do not have pilots assigned to fly them during the upcoming critical holiday period.

Today, management issued an update detailing the “significant holes” in the operation and unilaterally invoked a solution for crewing affected flights.

Management’s actions are in direct violation of your contract.

APA has responded by filing a Presidential Grievance (Carey Presidential Grievance No.17-187).

Because management unilaterally created their solution in violation of the contract, neither APA nor the contract can guarantee the promised payment of the premium being offered.

Important to note: By not including APA in developing collaborative solutions to this critical holiday scheduling failure, management’s actions contrast with their handling of previous scheduling failures involving other work groups. This stands in direct opposition to the company mantra of “Validating the Trust” and the stated goal of making culture a competitive advantage. Management’s actions likewise jeopardize any collaborative effort to ensure our passengers have a pilot crew to take them to their important holiday events.

Last edited by Sykes; Nov 29, 17 at 2:53 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Nov 29, 17, 11:20 am
Suspended

Programs: DL GM, AAdvantage EXECPLAT, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
it's one thing after the next with these idiots (mgmt).
Old Nov 29, 17, 11:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Would be really convenient for me if this leads to some schedule changes for my December flights
Old Nov 29, 17, 11:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jay_dubya View Post
Would be really convenient for me if this leads to some schedule changes for my December flights
Yea, cancel and book on DL.
Spiff, ijgordon and davetravels like this.
Old Nov 29, 17, 11:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA MM, Hilton Honors Diamond
The "New" AA never ceases to amaze me...
Old Nov 29, 17, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by AANYC1981 View Post
Yea, cancel and book on DL.
heh, I have a JetBlue flight on hold for my Christmas trip ... it wouldn't hurt my feelings if AA pruned the schedule a bit, as long as they do it sufficiently far in advance.
Old Nov 29, 17, 11:41 am

Programs: Delta, JetBlue, Marriott
I just read this on Skift. One quote that is especially interesting:

American is offering pilots 150 percent of their normal hourly wage to pick up some of the flights, the top rate laid out in their contract, Miller said. The APA has filed a grievance, saying the proposed solution violates its labor contract. The union wants input with American to find a solution that will motivate pilots to give up vacation they’ve already been granted after years of working over the holidays, said Dennis Tajer, an APA spokesman.
It sounds as if AA is having a Ryanair situation with time off. However, it's pretty sketchy at this point. AA has not released a statement yet (at least that I could find).

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 29, 17 at 5:16 pm Reason: add quote box
Old Nov 29, 17, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Computer glitch results in 15k flights without pilots assigned over Xmas: Reuters

Hopefully they come to a quick solution on this... https://www.reuters.com/article/us-a...KBN1DT2R8?il=0

Thousands of December flights on American Airlines do not yet have pilots scheduled to work because of a system scheduling error, the carrier’s pilots union said as it gears up for one of the busiest travel periods of the year.
A glitch in the system that bids for pilots’ time off based on seniority is behind the shortage, the Allied Pilots Association union said. The group estimated that more than 15,000 flights from Dec. 17-31 - a critical holiday travel period - were affected.

Last edited by adambadam; Nov 29, 17 at 12:17 pm Reason: Sorry can't figure out how to make the text normal sized
Old Nov 29, 17, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
This is truly just unbelievable. I feel like this is something I should be reading on The Onion...
karenkay likes this.
Old Nov 29, 17, 12:30 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Merged with existing thread. Thanks. /Moderator
Old Nov 29, 17, 12:32 pm

Didn't this happen with FAs last year?
brewdog11 likes this.
Old Nov 29, 17, 12:40 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by ElCaminoReal View Post
Didn't this happen with FAs last year?
I don't know about the FAs, but they had a failure in the pilot's bid award system for December's schedule last year, too. The result was junior pilots have the holidays off while senior pilots were scheduled to fly. I don't remember how they fixed it.

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/bu...115706413.html
Old Nov 29, 17, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
Fire Dougie. One thing after another - between this and the LAX catering mishap senior management's incompetence in Q4 is shocking
Spiff, Dallas49er, DMPHL and 4 others like this.
Old Nov 29, 17, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Debating what to do for flights to SA that week. Book refundable back up flights on *A or hope they sort through this..
Old Nov 29, 17, 12:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by uscjeff View Post
Fire Dougie. One thing after another - between this and the LAX catering mishap senior management's incompetence in Q4 is shocking
don't forget the uniform crisis which is still going on, LAX's operational meltdown in summer 2016.......the list goes on.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: