Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Thousands of December AA flights scheduled without pilots?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thousands of December AA flights scheduled without pilots?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2017, 10:26 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by ROCAT
They are paying PSA pilots 200% to pick up extra flights for this mess why shouldn't mainline pilots who work for the same company be given the same. The airline is wanting to do something outside of the contract why would anyone simply agree to have a signed contract walked over unilaterally.
Could be that PSA pilots are normally paid slave wages, relative to AA mainline.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP
They are paying PSA pilots 200% to pick up extra flights for this mess why shouldn't mainline pilots who work for the same company be given the same. The airline is wanting to do something outside of the contract why would anyone simply agree to have a signed contract walked over unilaterally.
I don't understand why AA isn't just abiding by the contract in the first place.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by diver858
Could be that PSA pilots are normally paid slave wages, relative to AA mainline.
So management is being cheap.

Originally Posted by swingaling
I don't understand why AA isn't just abiding by the contract in the first place.
I would guess doing so would be more expensive.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 11:04 pm

They are paying PSA pilots 200% to pick up extra flights for this mess why shouldn't mainline pilots who work for the same company be given the same.
Huh? The mainline pilots opted out of flying those flights. They were scheduled, and then dropped them. The pilots already said, we don't want them.
Makes sense that they would incentivize someone else to pick up the slack. You know, so that passengers can get home for the holidays and such.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by cedric
Huh? The mainline pilots opted out of flying those flights. They were scheduled, and then dropped them. The pilots already said, we don't want them.
Makes sense that they would incentivize someone else to pick up the slack.
They were never scheduled to the flights, they bid the days off knowing that they would most likely not get it off. The computer spit out that their day off was granted when it came up with the schedule.

Ask the union to write a LOA agreeing to more than the 150% cap and many of them will give up the day off and work.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 11:08 pm

OK - so they requested the time off. Did the PSA pilots ask for the time off?
Old Nov 29, 2017, 11:10 pm

OK - so they requested the time off. Did the PSA pilots ask for the time off?
Most likely yes, their computer didn't mess up and grant it to everyone that asked.

The same thing happened around two years ago with the flight attendants.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 11:12 pm

Got TPA-DFW-LAS and back on Dec 19/20 for the first hockey game Tampa plays Vegas. Something’s bound to get stuffed, I’m on an award ticket and my son is on a different PNR on the same flights. Oh, Joy!
Old Nov 29, 2017, 11:14 pm

Ask the union to write a LOA agreeing to more than the 150% cap and many of them will give up the day off and work.
Which goes back to the point that they are being opportunists. If the error hadn't occurred, they'd most likely be flying the flights at 100% pay.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 11:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
this has to be one of the worst and non-aligned mergers in recent history.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 11:17 pm

Which goes back to the point that they are being opportunists. If the error hadn't occurred, they'd most likely be flying the flights at 100% pay.
Many of these pilots will not see christmas off for another 10 years, sorry but the IT system at AAL is awful this isn't the first time that this has happened and management will not fix the root of the problem. This is 100% on management asking pilots to take one for the team when management themselves will not, do you think Doug will be in the air on Christmas as a show of solidarity.
swingaling likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 11:27 pm

Something similar happened a few weeks ago, I guess it was with RyanAir. Various flights were cancelled all over Europe because of shortage of pilots.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 11:56 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
I'm thinking this could be a fantastic opportunity to milk the airline for compensation vouchers / miles. Think of it as payback for the lousy staff, AAdvantage cuts, basic economy BS, etc.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by alicet
Something similar happened a few weeks ago, I guess it was with RyanAir. Various flights were cancelled all over Europe because of shortage of pilots.
that was a different situation and was caused by FR changing the annual leave year from the UK financial year ( April to March) to the calendar year leaving pilots with their holiday entitlement to take but having a much shorter period to take it in.

it wasn’t a software fault that just automatically granted all requests for time off but bad planning on FRs part in not realising the implications of changing the annual leave year and pilots quite rightly wanting their contract terms met.
marcccus likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 3:46 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
that was a different situation and was caused by FR changing the annual leave year from the UK financial year ( April to March) to the calendar year leaving pilots with their holiday entitlement to take but having a much shorter period to take it in.

it wasn’t a software fault that just automatically granted all requests for time off but bad planning on FRs part in not realising the implications of changing the annual leave year and pilots quite rightly wanting their contract terms met.
Absolutely right. And mostly of all, it was because many of the FR pilots quit for the same reason, by that causing the shortage of pilots and the cancellations.
What I am still wondering is:
- Will the PSA pilots be enough to fill the gaps?
- Will AA reach an aggreement in time to save Christmas?
- Will they at least have the important routes covered(Longhaul and Transcon)?
but I guess it´s too early to tell, so let´s give them some time to work on it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.