Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA/Iberia separate tickets and check through protection (to merge)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2017, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

I recently booked award travel with AA from Madrid back to the USA. I will be connecting/transferring from Seville on Iberia to make my international flight, with about 2.5 hours from arrival of the Iberia flight to the AA flight’s departure. The Iberia flight arrives at MAD Terminal 4 and the AA flight leaves from MAD terminal 4S.

I know the OneWorld through checked baggage policy with separate tickets changed in 2016, but because I’m just carrying on I’m not worried about that. What I want to avoid, however, is having to check in to the AA flight in MAD (hoping to do this online or at Iberia counter in SVQ, so I can just go straight to the AA gate in MAD). I would also like to know AA’s policy on transfers/connections ont separate tickets from OneWorld carriers to AA in case my Iberia flight is late. I read somewhere that AA will provide through checking protection if one ticket is an award flight and the other is paid, but I can’t find that info on AA’s site.

Thanks in advance for for your help. First time posting here, so please let me know if I should post those elsewhere. Cheers.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA-SIL MR-TIT HYT-GBL IHG-PLT HH-DIA WYN-PLT AMEX-PLT
If you have an itinerary I would suspect you can get through the T4-T4S security and into the lounge, where the Iberia folks should be able to call down to the AA gate and get your pass waiting for you at the gate.

i did the revese last week — AA to ORD then IB to MAD and onward. AA would *not* through check and gave me some hooey about liability and tracking.

But the AAngels at the Admirals Club and the FL said that terminal transfers were permitted without a boarding pass at ORD—just an itinerary (printed) was required since they couldn’t access IB systems.

i couldn’t check in for my IB flight and I just went down there at boarding and they checked me in and got me a boarding pass.

i suspect your only problem will be clearing security and exit Schengen immigration — and I would suspect that a same-day-itinerary will suffice.

A wild card would be if at your point of IB departure there are SABRE ground agents working some other AA flight that might be able to get your AA pass (I’m thinking something like if you are at CDG and could get to the Admirals Club and have them print your pass and do the security grilling).
Old Jul 2, 2019, 1:58 am

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
I have an AA award from Dallas to Madrid (operating carrier is AA) and then a BA award from Madrid to Athens (operating carrier is IB).

The reason we have two tickets is because AA cannot see the Madrid Athens availability on their site.

Will I be able to check bags through at Dallas?
(90 minutes between the two sets of flights in Madrid - not enough time to receive bags, recheck them for the onward connection.)

Advice is most appreciated.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gottaluvNW
I have an AA award from Dallas to Madrid (operating carrier is AA) and then a BA award from Madrid to Athens (operating carrier is IB).

The reason we have two tickets is because AA cannot see the Madrid Athens availability on their site.

(90 minutes between the two sets of flights in Madrid - not enough time to receive bags, recheck them for the onward connection.)

AA does not through check bags on separate PNR's. Been that way since 2016
AA thread---> https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...es-2016-a.html

You will have to do immigration, pick up bags and check-in for the next flight

Be careful---> Denied Boarding - Did not have exact card used for taxes
Old Jul 2, 2019, 9:24 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold

Oh geez. Before booking the separate tickets, did you at least call AA and confirm with an agent that MAD-ATH wasn't available? Or check EF? We all know how (un)reliable aa.com is for booking partners.

If it is still available, I would strongly advise that you pay $150 to change your award ticket to a through ticket. Assuming you're checking bags, you have zero chance of making this connection (which isn't really a connection since you're on separate tickets).
Old Jul 2, 2019, 10:39 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

This thread will be merged into the existing thread linked to above. Moderator

There’s no way AA will through-check your baggage on separate ticketing like that. You will have to complete Schengen arrival immigration in T-4S, retrieve your baggage, walk through customs, check your baggage in and process security to enter T-4 to depart. This is not a likely successful scenario at all; I’d give myself no less than three hours, and probably more given the current terrible AA operational reliability.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 7:04 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by JDiver
This thread will be merged into the existing thread linked to above. Moderator

There’s no way AA will through-check your baggage on separate ticketing like that. You will have to complete Schengen arrival immigration in T-4S, retrieve your baggage, walk through customs, check your baggage in and process security to enter T-4 to depart. This is not a likely successful scenario at all; I’d give myself no less than three hours, and probably more given the current terrible AA operational reliability.
Been there, done that. AA, IB or both refused to check in the bags across separately ticketed itineraries even when the same airline had issued both ticketed PNRs. I padded in four hours for the connection due to checked luggage and that was just about 2 hours too much. But I would suggest 3-5 hours to play it safe, and budget in for problems such as buying a new ticket and/or paying change fees.
Old May 22, 2022, 10:24 pm

How did it go? Did you make it?

Originally Posted by flyingempanada
I recently booked award travel with AA from Madrid back to the USA. I will be connecting/transferring from Seville on Iberia to make my international flight, with about 2.5 hours from arrival of the Iberia flight to the AA flight’s departure. The Iberia flight arrives at MAD Terminal 4 and the AA flight leaves from MAD terminal 4S.

I know the OneWorld through checked baggage policy with separate tickets changed in 2016, but because I’m just carrying on I’m not worried about that. What I want to avoid, however, is having to check in to the AA flight in MAD (hoping to do this online or at Iberia counter in SVQ, so I can just go straight to the AA gate in MAD). I would also like to know AA’s policy on transfers/connections ont separate tickets from OneWorld carriers to AA in case my Iberia flight is late. I read somewhere that AA will provide through checking protection if one ticket is an award flight and the other is paid, but I can’t find that info on AA’s site.

Thanks in advance for for your help. First time posting here, so please let me know if I should post those elsewhere. Cheers.
I have a similar situation and not sure if I will have to go out to checkin counters in Madrid… Only carry on with me
Old May 22, 2022, 10:25 pm

How did it go? Did you make it?

Originally Posted by flyingempanada

I have a similar situation and not sure if I will have to go out to checkin counters in Madrid… Only carry on with me

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.