Community
Wiki Posts
Search

100K Mile Purchase Bonus?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2017, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

100K Mile Purchase Bonus?

AA looks to be running a promo to get 100K bonus miles when you buy 150K. So 250K miles for $4425. Is this a good deal? Seems like I could get a few Biz class seats to Europe with SAAvers that would be worth more than the $4425.

Thoughts?
Old Nov 23, 2017, 8:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by DVDBob
AA looks to be running a promo to get 100K bonus miles when you buy 150K. So 250K miles for $4425. Is this a good deal? Seems like I could get a few Biz class seats to Europe with SAAvers that would be worth more than the $4425.

Thoughts?
Would you buy a business class return otherwise and is there availability?

The actual cost is actually $4,786.88 once taxes are included

Depending on what you plan to do, it can be a good deal and can save money; I would only do it though , if you know what you want to redeem it for and it is available to book
Old Nov 24, 2017, 2:53 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Until availability changes, I would advise against it. Even if you saw a rare available seat on a flight that was worth it, (like J to LHR), it would be gone before the points hit your account.

Exception might be a partner who has predictable availability.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 2:54 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by beachfan
Until availability changes, I would advise against it. Even if you saw a rare available seat on a flight that was worth it, (like J to LHR), it would be gone before the points hit your account.

Exception might be a partner who has predictable availability AND small surcharges, which rule out both BA and AA at least .
Old Nov 24, 2017, 3:42 am

Enough for two business class trips to Asia 1 or almost two trips to Asia 2. Cathay usually runs $5k plus from most US departures so it can be a good deal.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by beachfan

Exception might be a partner who has predictable availability.
No it wouldn't

If there was availability, can phone and hold the seats for up to 5 days, then purchase the miles ( which credit somewehere between instant and a few hours ) , then go and ticket the flight
Old Nov 24, 2017, 4:17 am

Looks like bonus is 120k miles now for Black Friday.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
No it wouldn't

If there was availability, can phone and hold the seats for up to 5 days, then purchase the miles ( which credit somewehere between instant and a few hours ) , then go and ticket the flight

Good point but I still wouldnt recommend it . it’s very unlikely you could make any flight change if plans change and you’d then be stuck with the miles. Huge risk vs the fee on most paid tickets.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 9:31 am

I just did it for 2 bus. class tickets from ord/asia 2 on cx for next sept./oct. If you know what you want and plan far enough ahead it is a good deal.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
No it wouldn't

If you phone to put an award ticket on hold for a partner carrier that can be booked on line (like AY, BA, IB, RJ, QF), you will needlessly incur a phone-booking fee. Use aa.com to put the award on hold to avoid the fee.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 12:24 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
Paid business class to Europe has gotten so relatively inexpensive on many airlines (such as Turkish) that if you look for a good sale, you can fly for less than this. What's more, you won't have to fight for limited award availability, and you'll earn miles besides.

I generally only recommend buying miles to top up your account to purchase an immediately available award. Oneworld generally has such poor award availability that buying miles speculatively is a fool's game.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by TProphet
. Oneworld generally has such poor award availability that buying miles speculatively is a fool's game.
Depends on where you want to go. I find MH from London to KL and KL to Australia to be pretty decent and QR can be pretty good to from DOH to Australia

award tickets can be very well priced against paid business on those sorts of routes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.