Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA flight - first class - help me understand why people won’t slightly move their bag

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA flight - first class - help me understand why people won’t slightly move their bag

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2017, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Ok so luckily this wasn’t me today.... but I witnessed the event. If it did happen to me... there would have been problems.

So im sitting in first class. Boarding has just completed. Some guy behind me gets upgraded cause there’s a seat left and he was on the list. So he starts to move up to his seat.

We’re on a newer 737 with the big oversized overhead bins on both sides above the seats. where this poor guy is moving to, theres plenty of room above his seat, if the owner of one the roller boards would slightly move his roller board just a smidge to the left. Not another row. not another bin.

Well gueas what? The owner of that rollerboard isn’t having it after the flight attendant asked him 4
times politely if they could just move it slightly or if he could move it. He refused, and there’s no other place for this guys bag to go.

After a a bit less of anger displayed than I would have... the crew felt bad and was able to accommodate his bag In the closet.

im opening this up for discussion, because SERIOUSLY???? What is WRONG with people? You can’t move your bag an inch? I’ve seen this once or twice before in first as well.... same circumstances. I DONT get it?
Statman and Grog like this.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 5:50 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador; Hyatt Globalist; AA EXP; UA 1K
If I were the FA, I would just move his rollerboard to make room for the other passenger. Cabin crews have every right to do this.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 5:53 pm

I agree with you completely, but have another question: why didn't a flight attendant just move the bag him/herself?? I can see another passenger not wanting to do it and cause more drama with the jerk, but an FA should be able to do it, no?

[Eta: Sean beat me to it. ]
Grog, Zacnlinc, SK and 4 others like this.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

GOod question. I believe what happened was the FA started to move the bag, and then the guy was like “don’t move my bag” and then the FA asked and eventually gave up. If i were in the argument... it would have probably gotten much uglier with me and the guy not wanting his bag moved.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 6:00 pm

Call me crazy but why start a thread about it after the fact? If it were such a personal affront to you in the moment, then why didn't you stand up and help the last minute upgrade guy and/or the FA?
Old Nov 16, 2017, 6:06 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador; Hyatt Globalist; AA EXP; UA 1K
Originally Posted by usafltg
“don’t move my bag”

Better complemented with DYKWIA
jhartvu likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 7:19 pm

If situation is as described, FA could have said 'This overhead bin is shared for all passengers. There is room in here to accommodate this bag. I'll just need to move yours a bit to the right and it'll be just fine.'

If passenger responds with 'Do not touch my bag', FA could respond with 'Let me go get the captain and I'll let you two work it out'
Grog, wxman22, brewdog11 and 5 others like this.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by UltraSean
If I were the FA, I would just move his rollerboard to make room for the other passenger. Cabin crews have every right to do this.
too many people in FC feel as though they are entitled to do what they want. Newsflash _ you are not!
Ths bag would have been moved gently in less than 3seconds had I been that upgrade.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Huh?
Why didn't he just move the other bag himself like most of us would do.
DutchessPDX, wxman22, SK and 5 others like this.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 7:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
There are tons of classless people all over.....it’s really sad. I’ve learned to just ignore people like this.

Last edited by AANYC1981; Nov 16, 2017 at 8:31 pm
Old Nov 16, 2017, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DataPlumber
Call me crazy but why start a thread about it after the fact? If it were such a personal affront to you in the moment, then why didn't you stand up and help the last minute upgrade guy and/or the FA?
I was about to, but then the FA said she found storage for him in the closet, and the matter was resolved. If it had gone any longer, I would have probably gotten involved. I started the thread, because I wanted to know if others had seen this ridiculousness
Grog likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFO777
Huh?
Actually... I'll be honest. I've gotten in fights with a few people in FC on this exact same issue. Which is why I posted in the first place. I fly FC all the time, and the caliber of some people just astounds me. Which is why I don't get it.

One Time, I tried moving someones bag slightly (gently) to make room for mine without saying anything, and the guy got all pissed and told me I can't move his bag.... and I got right in his face, and said, excuse me but there's plenty of space here, i'm seated right here, and your bag's just fine.

Another time, I asked if I could move someone's bag, and they got all snooty and said "no you may not'.... I looked around real quick at the other bins, and I said.... "well.... tough explicitive.... you don't have an option.... take it up with the crew..."
Old Nov 16, 2017, 11:22 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by UltraSean
Seriously, what is wrong with that FA for not doing it? I watch AA attendants shuffle bags as necessary, and nobody complains. It's more like "Sir/Madam, I'm moving your bag over here"
formeraa and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 11:28 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by SFO777
Huh?
This is, of course, the "duh" moment on the thread. Done.

Cheers.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 11:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Why didn't the FA just moved the bag. Worst, the DYKWIA throws a temper tantrum and gets kicked off the flight.
IndyHoosier and formeraa like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.