Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA flight - first class - help me understand why people won’t slightly move their bag

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA flight - first class - help me understand why people won’t slightly move their bag

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2017, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Often1
A combination of three personality traits:
#1 - Current occupant is a jerk.
#2 - Upgraded passenger is a wimp
I agree--definitely a mix of each. First off the current occupant is a total D-BAG. I don't know who acts like that--people amaze me. I honestly would have rolled my eyes at him and said "really??!!". This post is no different really than the other post I was reading somewhere on here of the dude who put his jacket on another seat. ...??

There are rude and CLASSLESS people in this world. Perhaps I'm overly assertive but I would never let this dude off without a comment. Someone has to tell him he's an a$$.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 12:46 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
I wish the experience here was unique. I would argue that greater than 25% of F class passengers (not including bulkhead) either put two bags up or put one bag plus their jacket, hat, gift bag etc. I have boarded late only to find peoples' cowboy hats and whatever else you can think of up there. Many on this supposedly 'higher thinking' site believe that it is first come, first served as far as overhead bins are concerned despite the clear instruction that your personal item should go underneath the seat (exception: you only brought one bag onboard). One of my largest complaints (besides the lack of powerports in LUS planes) is the inconsistency in the size of the under seat storage on these planes. I travel with a rolling briefcase that fits only in the middle underseat on about 60% of flights. I often choose the window in F as it increases the odds that I can have my bag in underseat storage.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I usually say "excuse me, but I'm moving your bag a little so we can fit mine in". If there is a hat or something other than a suitcase, I add "I'll be careful". They don't have a chance to say no. Sometimes I get a look, but I shrug it off.

Plenty of folks still put their bag in sideways when it also fits in lengthwise which allows for much more room.

Last edited by beachfan; Nov 17, 2017 at 2:03 pm
Old Nov 17, 2017, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Score8
I wish the experience here was unique. I would argue that greater than 25% of F class passengers (not including bulkhead) either put two bags up or put one bag plus their jacket, hat, gift bag etc. I have boarded late only to find peoples' cowboy hats and whatever else you can think of up there. Many on this supposedly 'higher thinking' site believe that it is first come, first served as far as overhead bins are concerned despite the clear instruction that your personal item should go underneath the seat (exception: you only brought one bag onboard). One of my largest complaints (besides the lack of powerports in LUS planes) is the inconsistency in the size of the under seat storage on these planes. I travel with a rolling briefcase that fits only in the middle underseat on about 60% of flights. I often choose the window in F as it increases the odds that I can have my bag in underseat storage.
I remember when I could easily put my bag underneath the seat in front of me on international flights. In the last 2-4 years, I have had to take something out in order to get my backpack underneath the seat in front of me. The IFE on the international flights have essentially cut the volume by 20-40%.
beachfan likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by Head
I guess it's on topic.... maybe not....

A few weeks back in J on HKG-DFW I walked on the plane and loaded up the bin directly above my seat. I then realized I needed to get something out of my suitcase before take off so once the boarding traffic slowed I stood up to get it down and get what I needed out of it. The guy sitting across the isle jumped up quickly and placed what a small bag (looked like a computer bag) where I had removed my suite case. I made the comment that my bag was going back in there to which he didn't respond. Once zipped back up, I turned to him and said "hope that ain't breakable" and put it back in its spot (except now it was on top of his bag). I probably wouldn't have done it if it were not for the fact that he pulled his bag out of the overhead directly above his seat and threw it in mine the minute I removed my suitcase. Oh well.

We should have a thread for Overhead Bin complaints. Maybe this is it!
I have seen people do this before and would have done the same thing as you if the pax remains non-compliant (i.e. a jerk).

Last edited by Collierkr; Nov 17, 2017 at 2:10 pm Reason: typo
Old Nov 17, 2017, 4:32 pm

We have been trained to elevate, not escalate
Old Nov 17, 2017, 4:35 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by IndyMischa
I agree with you completely, but have another question: why didn't a flight attendant just move the bag him/herself?? I can see another passenger not wanting to do it and cause more drama with the jerk, but an FA should be able to do it, no?

[Eta: Sean beat me to it. ]
I'm guessing it was as a courtesy. On occasion in the Premium Cabin, don't move my bag also translates to don't touch my bag.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 6:30 pm

Programs: QF Gold
Originally Posted by UltraSean
If I were the FA, I would just move his rollerboard to make room for the other passenger. Cabin crews have every right to do this.
The passenger can do this too.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA Pl, KL Platinum for Life
I was on a flight originating in Hamburg, Germany where a lady asked who's bag was in the overhead above her seat. When no one answered she took that bag out and put it in the aisle and replaced it with hers saying the space above her seat was for only for her use!
Old Nov 17, 2017, 10:50 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Score8
Don't forget Y pax putting their bags in the F overhead before walking back into coach. I've observed this more times than I can possibly imagine and I think it's a real problem. F pax on tight cxns have every right to expect that the F overheads are filled with F bags. If it is filled, that's tough but they should be filled with F bags, not those of Y pax who drop them off on their way to coach.
deeruck and Uzzar like this.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 12:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
An inch, that's fairly hard to believe, why would anyone ask if the could move it an inch? Maybe the pax only was hearing 'can I move your bag'? If you want to move a bag, mine or otherwise it's somewhat of a different story. I have minimal issues with any kind of bag shifting for a pax that is a battleground UG, we've all been there, I do have a problem with the pax that has been hanging out in the club or just decided 10 min of sleep were more important than being at the gate when boarding starts. Yep, no one is entitled to specific space, but if you are showing up late, other than late UG or connection issues, it's pretty rude to have the FA rearrange the bags for your benefit. That's just as bad as 'don't touch my bag'. If I miscalculate or AA boards 10 min early and I'm not there my bag goes in whatever space I can find, I don't expect everyone else to accommodate me for my error in judgement.

The official rule/regulations are what they are, but there certainly are some unwritten rules which includes 'don't pull someone's bag out of the bin without asking them'. That can turn ugly really quickly.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 6:55 am

My experience has been that passengers just go right ahead and move things without asking....I've seen people pull a bag out of the overhead and drop it on the floor, put their bag in, and close the door.

I'm also not a fan of those who squish the crap out of my soft-side bag (not a roller board; a shoulder carried bag) trying to squeeze in their obviously not-going-to-fit oversized rollerboard.

And while we're at it, what's up with those who put both of their bags in the overhead, because heaven-forbid they should have a bag under the seat in front of them..
Old Nov 18, 2017, 8:55 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by BobOscar
I'm also not a fan of those who squish the crap out of my soft-side bag (not a roller board; a shoulder carried bag) trying to squeeze in their obviously not-going-to-fit oversized rollerboard.

And while we're at it, what's up with those who put both of their bags in the overhead, because heaven-forbid they should have a bag under the seat in front of them..
I usually put two bags up. One is my compliant rollaboard (not "rollerboard," FYI) and the other is a slim courier bag. Why? After an overhead bin is filled with compliant bags there is always maybe 4-6 inches of room between them. Not enough for a regular bag, so I use the space since only an under seat bag can fit there anyway. At other times, mrs. brp brings her stubby rollaboard. Fits in nose-first with room at the bag for my bag, taking up no additional bin width.

On the topic of moving bags, we had a recent flight where I got upgraded and mrs. brp did not (I'll drink on the plane, she's less likely, so she's good with this...and it happens rarely ). They started boarding way early. I found space in F, but there was nothing near her seat in 8. I saw her go back to 19. Then I noticed that one F bin had 2 bags placed such that there was space on either side and moving one would make a full bag space. I left it as-is, closed the bin, suggested that she get her bag (which I realize I should have done with the upstream swimming), brought it back, moved the bags and put it in. The person below the bag looked at me in something of a pained way as I moved the bag, but said nothing...and it wouldn't have mattered to me. Simply moved a bag to one side. All good.

Walked off the plane with both bags.

Cheers.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by UltraSean
If I were the FA, I would just move his rollerboard to make room for the other passenger. Cabin crews have every right to do this.
In fact, I’m surprised they asked. Most FAs are hustling to get everyone seated and bags stowed for an on time pushback, and would have just moved it without asking. In fact, if I was the one moving up, I would have just re-arranged bags so mine would fit.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Lakeviewsteve
I was on a flight originating in Hamburg, Germany where a lady asked who's bag was in the overhead above her seat. When no one answered she took that bag out and put it in the aisle and replaced it with hers saying the space above her seat was for only for her use!
I was in 10B once on a pmUS A321, which has the raft blocking 8B (no 9 A-C) so it is pseudo-bulkhead. I put my compliant roller bag and my laptop backpack above 7/8 D-F as it was the only convenient space by the time I had boarded with Group 3. I even made sure to put the backpack sideways to minimize the space it took up. Of course, those overheads were full pretty early in boarding and all nearby were also closed early on by the FA.

Somewhere near the end of boarding, a woman and her husband who were in 7 D/E pop the overhead open and start trying to find space for their bags above their row. I notice her asking nearby pax about ownership of my backpack, all the while blocking everyone behind her. Then, not having received an answer, she starts to pull my backpack out of the OH.

I, of course, am having none of this. Before she can even get the bag out, I'm up and in the aisle. "No no no, ma'am, that's my bag and you need to leave it where it is." She protests and tells me to put it under my seat ("I can't do that, ma'am") or closer to my row ("Those overheads are also full, ma'am") and then asks me where she is supposed to put her bags ("I can't help you with that, ma'am, but my bag is staying where it is").

I guess I ma'am-ed her enough because the husband, who had stayed out of it so far, told her to leave my bag and took both their bags further back for storage. This is why I like to keep my bags in a place where I can observe them during boarding. I don't know what she planned to do with my bag once she pulled it out. I suppose she was just going to leave it in the aisle for the FA to deal with?

Of course, if it had been possible to re-arrange things to accommodate her bags I would have had absolutely no problem with that, as long as it didn't result in evicting my bag from that overhead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.