Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

When do AA miles expire? (18 months after last activity for those age >20)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 30, 2019, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Q. When do AAdvantage miles expire?

AAdvantage miles expire if there has been no activity in the member’s AAdvantage account for 18 months. However, the miles accumulated by those under 21 years of age will not expire; the expiry “clock” begins to run at the 21st birthday. This new policy began 1 Jul 2020, and is to be retroactive. (The date of last activity, not the posting date, is the date to pay attention to.)

Q. How can I keep my miles from expiring?

Just earn or redeem miles on American or with an AAdvantage partner at least once every 18 months. We’ll automatically extend your mileage expiration date 18 months from the date of your most recent activity.

Your wallet shows the number of miles you have and the earliest date they could expire. aa.com
Print Wikipost

When do AA miles expire? (18 months after last activity for those age >20)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2020, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by rocket2247
Sorry this is probably a dumb question...My last travel was January of this year. With the pandemic, my company has stopped traveling. Will I lose a portion of my available reward miles once next January hits or go a year without traveling?
You lose ALL miles if there is no activity (+ or -) in your account for 18 months. For most people it is simple to keep them fresh, as there are many ways to earn miles
Worst case scenario, buy a song using E Shopping
Old Oct 8, 2020, 7:23 am

Programs: AA, BA, UAL, NZ, QF, LH, SPG, IHG, HH, Marriott etc etc
or post something on awardwallet's blog for 5 miles
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2020, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by carpmawj
or post something on awardwallet's blog for 5 miles
Not much, but more than we get for posts here

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.