Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA 332 Zodiac Cirrus vs. AA 788 Zodiac Concept D business class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2017, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX PLAT, DL PLAT, RITZ CARLTON PLAT, HILTON GOLD

Can anyone compare these two business classes? Space and food? Thanks.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you're flying to a city in Europe (the only likely destinations where your choices are either an A330 or a 787), food will be identical.

Both feature full lie-flat seats, albeit different seat types, and space will be equal.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by FWAAA
If you're flying to a city in Europe (the only likely destinations where your choices are either an A330 or a 787), food will be identical.

Both feature full lie-flat seats, albeit different seat types, and space will be equal.
I flew the 332 phl-man last year and just two weeks ago flew the 788 to scl. Yes both are lie flats but the 787 is much better and far superior. Choose the latter.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 10:24 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
Go for the 788 for in-seat entertainment alone. The A332's seat entertainment drives me nuts, you practically have to hammer the screen just to get the touch screens to work.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 11:45 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt LT Global Elitist, Bonvyoed LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Surprising that the recommendations are mostly for the 788. While I will admit I have not flown the LUS A332, the LAA 788 Concept D seat blows. It's tight and has the connected mount rocking issue in 20 of the 28 seats.

If you are looking to sleep I would have to imagine the A332 would be a better choice given it is the much praised Zodiac Cirrus seat, even if the seats are showing their signs of age on these aircraft.

If you do go for the 788, make sure you get 6A/L, 7A/L, 5A/L or 1D/H.
JDiver likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 11:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K
788 is very nice and modern AVOD.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by roder
Surprising that the recommendations are mostly for the 788. While I will admit I have not flown the LUS A332, the LAA 788 Concept D seat blows. It's tight and has the connected mount rocking issue in 20 of the 28 seats.
If you are looking to sleep I would have to imagine the A332 would be a better choice given it is the much praised Zodiac Cirrus seat, even if the seats are showing their signs of age on these aircraft.

If you do go for the 788, make sure you get 6A/L, 7A/L, 5A/L or 1D/H.
Just did PEK-ORD on a 788, and found the seats cramped, no place for storage, and the rocking seats was horrible. AA really needs to do something about those seats.
AANYC1981, jpsj and JDiver like this.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 6:30 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Personally, I would choose the 788 over the 332 because of the better cabin environment. I find the higher air pressure and humidity makes a huge difference on overnight flights.
JDiver likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Just did PEK-ORD on a 788, and found the seats cramped, no place for storage, and the rocking seats was horrible. AA really needs to do something about those seats.
No offense but with all the countless threads and wiki on the 788 with regards to the seat rocking you could have chosen accordingly. Knowing this, I choose 7A. I'm 6'1", slender, and had loads of room to sleep and no rocking. The IFE is light years ahead of the dinosaur 332. It's also a quieter plane and pretty much brand new.
JDiver likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by enviroian
No offense but with all the countless threads and wiki on the 788 with regards to the seat rocking you could have chosen accordingly. Knowing this, I choose 7A. I'm 6'1", slender, and had loads of room to sleep and no rocking. The IFE is light years ahead of the dinosaur 332. It's also a quieter plane and pretty much brand new.
I thought they were reinforcing these? Or did that not help?
Old Nov 10, 2017, 9:50 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Flown all 3.

332 comes in 3rd.

Prefer 787-8 and -9. Would like a little more space, but no rocking issues (yet). When flying on the -8 with MrsDallas49er, we prefer window and aisle, and 2, 3, 4 D & H on the -9. Traveling separately, I'm 1A or L if possible. She is a more center window if possible.

Hope this helps.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt LT Global Elitist, Bonvyoed LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Antarius
I thought they were reinforcing these? Or did that not help?
One quote in an article from 2016 is the only mention of this program to correct the rocking issue. Given AA's track record when it comes to such matters, I'm lead to believe the comment was a false flag to acknowledge the issue and pretend they were going to address, without an actual plan to do so.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by enviroian
The non-adjoining seats are not always available. I will concur that the IFE is nice, and having WiFi is convenient if you need to utilize. I do however find the seat narrow and a little short. That being said it's completely tolerable.

If you are larger, and/or planning on doing nothing but sleeping (which is my MO on a short TATL), I can see where the 332 seat would be preferable.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 10:13 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
I fly both regularly and the A330 has a better seat IMO. It is stable and wider.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: AA EXP
The 788 is very nice. The seats are good, aside from the rocking issue (which is not present in all seats).

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
There's some variability on the rocking issue. Some seats do not rock at all, while other rock horrendously. It all depends on the specific seat and the specific aircraft. I got a broken seat on a 788 a couple months ago that had a severe problem with rocking. Luckily it was a daytime flight, so I wasn't trying to sleep anyway.

I brought the issue to AA's attention and they gave me 15,000 miles as compensation, which was definitely appreciated.

On the return flight, I was in a different seat (different tail number too) that supposedly should have had the rocking issue, but it was rock solid. Did not feel my neighbor move whatsoever.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.