Wiki Posts
Search

Selling status

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2017, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Selling status

I saw someone on ebay selling OW emerald status for AA flights. They apparently put their FF# in the PNR and that gives the flyer all benefits for EXP'S?

Is that even possible to do? This person has positive feedback.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Amazing. I'm surprised that there is no name check in the system to prevent this, but it is most definitely against the T&Cs.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA Gold
I don't think it works...I remember trying to do it for my mother and it would bounce back saying the names didn't match, at least on AA's site. Maybe they have a loophole.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 2:30 pm

From the seller's other listings, my guess is that the emerald benefits are coming from LATAM, so I expect the frequent flyer number would be from that program.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by dickinson
From the seller's other listings, my guess is that the emerald benefits are coming from LATAM, so I expect the frequent flyer number would be from that program.
Yes, that makes more sense. Still likely to breach the terms of the LATAM program.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
If this works, using other OW FFN, on AA flights, that means the FFN owner is also receiving miles/points in his account as well without flying, and getting paid for his FFN usage, go figure.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by chitink
I saw someone on ebay selling OW emerald status for AA flights. They apparently put their FF# in the PNR and that gives the flyer all benefits for EXP'S?

Is that even possible to do? This person has positive feedback.
Every so often someone figures something like this will work (both buyers and sellers), but usually gets shut down pretty quick. I'm sure if you check back within a week they will be long gone. Unfortunately they may have scammed a few people before then.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Every so often someone figures something like this will work (both buyers and sellers), but usually gets shut down pretty quick. I'm sure if you check back within a week they will be long gone. Unfortunately they may have scammed a few people before then.
Sure you make some $$, but then you lose your OW Emerald. How is that worth it?
Old Nov 9, 2017, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
This is in strong violation of AA rules and will likely get both flyers banned from status when caught.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 4:33 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
If it did work, I imagine it'd be a breach of the rules, if it did work the flyer would also likely have to forego any miles earned as well, also if it did work, employers could just hoard all the miles their employees fly.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 4:49 pm

This seller is offering LATAM Black - One world emerald until 3/19 for $399. Only requirement is that a buyer must have flown at least one LATAM flight in the past. The seller claims it is a legit promo from LATAM.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408
In UA board it's clearly showing the seller takes advantage of the status match. They falsified the documents to grant the buyer the status but required the buyers to fly specific amount to keep the status. Definitely status match.

http://statusmatcher.com/report/56818

There you go.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
I matched my EXP status to LATAM Black status at no cost, I just had to show I had flown LATAM this year. No need to pay this cost for it.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by nelsinho
I matched my EXP status to LATAM Black status at no cost, I just had to show I had flown LATAM this year. No need to pay this cost for it.
You were already EXP. Seller is offering LATAM Black to anyone, even if they have no status at all, and the status is good until March 2019. Despite seller's claims, this can't be legitimate.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 8:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by PaulInTheSky
In UA board it's clearly showing the seller takes advantage of the status match. They falsified the documents to grant the buyer the status but required the buyers to fly specific amount to keep the status. Definitely status match.

http://statusmatcher.com/report/56818

There you go.
Sounds like a great way to get into a great deal of trouble for very little reward.

I used to see airline status for sale on eBay fairly frequently back in the late 2000's. The status was mostly DL Gold, but CO was on there too. I don't see it much now, but I wonder if this is how it was done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.