Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Quick Question: Do we have to go thru security at DFW after Customs for connection?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Quick Question: Do we have to go thru security at DFW after Customs for connection?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:25 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

I can't remember...will be connecting at DFW coming from Mexico this morning. Do we have to go through security after we pass customs/immigration or do we exit in a secure zone?
Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:30 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Yes you have to go through security again
Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:31 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ajeleonard
Yes you have to go through security again
Thanks.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP
As a postscript to this thread, when you walk down the hall to customs at DFW and are unlucky enough to be standing behind 3000 people, as I was last Sunday and you happen to have Global Entry, just cruise on over to the side and make trucks for the far end of the customs hall.

I've been in this hallway when staff were like, "hey, you can't cut in line!", but more recently they all seem to be on board with asking you, "Global Entry?" Now that's not to say that I didn't hear a lot of grumbling from the non-GE folks who probably stood in line for three hours...

I cleared customs in about 10-15 minutes, most of that was the time it took me to walk through the customs hall.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by danbrew
As a postscript to this thread, when you walk down the hall to customs at DFW and are unlucky enough to be standing behind 3000 people, as I was last Sunday and you happen to have Global Entry, just cruise on over to the side and make trucks for the far end of the customs hall.

I've been in this hallway when staff were like, "hey, you can't cut in line!", but more recently they all seem to be on board with asking you, "Global Entry?" Now that's not to say that I didn't hear a lot of grumbling from the non-GE folks who probably stood in line for three hours...

I cleared customs in about 10-15 minutes, most of that was the time it took me to walk through the customs hall.
What time of day was this? I've never seen much of a line at DFW
Old Nov 9, 2017, 10:04 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by danbrew

Last time I came through DFW and there was the same 3000 people waiting in line at customs. However, to alleviate the queue the staff opted to divert a large number of passengers over to the GE line whilst we were still waiting on our bags to come through, so no shortcut for us. Luckily, we had a few hours before our connection, so no biggie in the end.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 12:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
To add to the correct answers above its worth pointing out that upon arrival to any US port of entry by air from an international flight (excluding those that have pre-clearance facilities) you will need to claim your checked baggage, drop it off for re-check (after customs/immigration) and re-clear security - this not limited to DFW or flights from Mexico. Some airports have a security checkpoint that's dedicated to for international->domestic connections just after you clear customs/immigration, DFW does not have this though there is a checkpoint quite close to the exit from customs.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 5:52 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ryan182
To add to the correct answers above its worth pointing out that upon arrival to any US port of entry by air from an international flight (excluding those that have pre-clearance facilities) you will need to claim your checked baggage, drop it off for re-check (after customs/immigration) and re-clear security - this not limited to DFW or flights from Mexico. Some airports have a security checkpoint that's dedicated to for international->domestic connections just after you clear customs/immigration, DFW does not have this though there is a checkpoint quite close to the exit from customs.
I've noticed at JFK T8 (and I assume other airports) an AA agent, meeting the plane, has "priority" connection cards for pax with close connections from intl to domestic.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 6:33 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Don't know if you have PreCheck, but if you do, the first TSA security checkpoint you come to when exiting Customs at does not have a PreCheck line. Walk another couple of minutes past the hotel escalator to the next checkpoint to find the TSA PreCheck line.
lbbzman likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 7:16 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Catbert10
Don't know if you have PreCheck, but if you do, the first TSA security checkpoint you come to when exiting Customs at does not have a PreCheck line. Walk another couple of minutes past the hotel escalator to the next checkpoint to find the TSA PreCheck line.
This. The default when you exit customs and recheck your bag and go back upstairs is to go to the right to the nearest checkpoint. Instead, walk to the left (I think it is around D33?) to that checkpoint - it's large and has PRE.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by 869
When all the South America and early morning Mexico/Central America flights come in, it can be a zoo. Monday mornings at like 6 AM in my experience.

That said, GE cuts through that like a hot knife through butter.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 10:32 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Antarius
When all the South America and early morning Mexico/Central America flights come in, it can be a zoo. Monday mornings at like 6 AM in my experience.

That said, GE cuts through that like a hot knife through butter.
DFW customs can also be crowded in the afternoon when flights from Asia and Europe arrive.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by 869
Around 4p on a Sunday - AA126 from Hong Kong. There must have been other Asia flights arriving as well.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 2:30 pm

Programs: Marriott - Lifetime Platinum Premier, AA - CK
Originally Posted by Catbert10
Ive found it hit and miss. Occasionally there is a separate Pre line there, and other times not. What I was told the last time is that they run all passengers through the same line and direct the Pre folks to the belt closest to the escalator.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 5:15 pm

Programs: EXP,EX-CK 2.5mm, now lifetime Platinum, ex-UA1K, Marriott- Platinum, Hertz 5*
Customs isn't the delay for me in the afternoon... it's TSA Precheck Security at D.... last time I only had 40 mins from landing to the next flight at A-16 and when I saw the huge TSA precheck lane and said "I'm missing my connection" a helpful agent told me to catch the terminal bus outside the terminal... I took that to A where there was no line and miraculously made my flight as they were closing the door. It was nerve wracking and I hope never to repeat it, but the terminal bus was not something I would have considered.
danbrew likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.