Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

PEK-LAX and AA in PEK / Beijing Capital T2 Now (Oct 2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2017, 11:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty

I'm on the LAX-PEK flight (AA181) a few days after it starts in Early Nov. No question on the outbound, more on the return with AA180. With AA moving from T3 to T2 a bit ago, what partner lounge do they use in PEK T2 now?

I know most of the lounges aren't great in PEK just going from last meeting to flight with zero chance to do anything else.

Anyone flown the PEK-DFW or PEK-ORD since the T2 switchover?

Last edited by NickP 1K; Oct 31, 2017 at 11:32 pm
Old Oct 28, 2017, 6:45 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by NickP 1K
I'm on the LAX-PEK flight (AA181) a few days after it starts in Early Nov. No question on the outbound, more on the return with AA180. With AA moving from T3 to T2 a bit ago, what partner lounge do they use in PEK T2 now?

I know most of the lounges aren't great in PEK just going from last meeting to flight with zero change to do anything else.

Anyone flown the PEK-DFW or PEK-ORD since the T2 switchover?
Ticket counter <link>

Terminal 2
Counters B04 - B10
American Airlines Flight 262 - Daily: 1:15 p.m. - 3:25 p.m.

Terminal 2
Counters C11 - C17
American Airlines Flight 186 - Daily: 7:10 a.m. - 9:10 a.m.
AA has an agreement with the Air China International First & Business Class Lounges in Terminal 2.
Attached Images  

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 28, 2017 at 5:04 pm
Old Oct 28, 2017, 3:45 pm

T2 is the older terminal? Isn't that a downgrade in amenities? Why did AA move?
Old Oct 28, 2017, 3:57 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by chuck1
T2 is the older terminal, but AA moved to co-locate with new partner China Southern, to facilitate connections.

But it's likely this is only a temporary arrangement. CZ will be moving to the new Daxing airport when it opens in 2019, and I wouldn't be surprised to see AA move as well.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
AA has an agreement with the Air China International First & Business Class Lounges in Terminal 2.
I thought all CA lounges are in T3. I'm surprised. AA moving to T2 is also a surprising news to me.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 5:06 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by bobbybrown
I thought all CA lounges are in T3. I'm surprised. AA moving to T2 is also a surprising news to me.
Attached Images  
Old Oct 29, 2017, 2:56 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by chuck1
Money is the root of this evil move...cheaper T2 as it's older and funky. Of course, you get what you pay for: terrible CA lounge; terrible ground staff.

By the way, the CX lounge is in T3 so can't get there from here. Well, at least not conveniently or quickly.

No thanks, there are better alternatives to PEK as it is, so I'll avoid these flights.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 7:13 am

Programs: AA LP pleb, QR Plat., Bonvoy Ti, IHG Diamond Amb, Foolish Hoarder of Miles, Fid. Def.
Originally Posted by rbAA
Money is the root of this evil move...cheaper T2 as it's older and funky. Of course, you get what you pay for: terrible CA lounge; terrible ground staff.

By the way, the CX lounge is in T3 so can't get there from here. Well, at least not conveniently or quickly.

No thanks, there are better alternatives to PEK as it is, so I'll avoid these flights.
(whispers) ... terminal 3 is terrible, too...
Old Oct 29, 2017, 9:03 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by rbAA

With a long enough layover (I have about 5 hours in PEK before heading off to DSN/Ordos on CA), is it even possible to get into T3 to go to the CX lounge, or is that likely not to be allowed?

Also a longish layover on the return on China Eastern.

Also worth noting: The CA Business lounge in T2 is also Priority Pass, so anyone that has PP through Chase Sapphire Reserve or similar card with multiple free guests can bring in more people than with AA status. Although it seems that this does not work with the First Class lounge in T2 (from what I see) and that may be EXP-only.

Cheers.

Last edited by brp; Oct 29, 2017 at 9:20 am
Old Oct 29, 2017, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by dw
T2 is the older terminal, but AA moved to co-locate with new partner China Southern, to facilitate connections.

But it's likely this is only a temporary arrangement. CZ will be moving to the new Daxing airport when it opens in 2019, and I wouldn't be surprised to see AA move as well.
I see the logic of this, but that would mean leaving the other Oneworld carriers behind at Capital airport if (as I understand is currently expected) Oneworld mostly stays in Capital and Skyteam mostly moves to Daxing.

That would make connections between Oneworld at PEK a right pain in the neck since it won't be fast to move between them. It would be about as bad as an LHR-LGW connection, a HND-NRT connection or a JFK-EWR connection and noone loves those. It also does not support the Chinese government aim to make PEK (and other major Chinese airports) hubs for international-international connections, as seen by their TWOV programme.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 2:09 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by flatlander
I see the logic of this, but that would mean leaving the other Oneworld carriers behind at Capital airport if (as I understand is currently expected) Oneworld mostly stays in Capital and Skyteam mostly moves to Daxing.

That would make connections between Oneworld at PEK a right pain in the neck since it won't be fast to move between them.
We're at a point now where JVs and other business arrangements are more important than alliance relationships (i.e. DL and VS; QF and EK). Not to mention that oneworld has no member with a hub in Beijing (well, no mainland Chinese carrier member period), so connections amongst oneworld carriers at PEK are likely minimal.

CZ's hubs will be at the new Daxing airport and at CAN. AA will need serve at least one to benefit from the upcoming partnership.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 5:48 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Originally Posted by NavSTL
Well, sure there is that. But at least the lounges are a bit better.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by brp
With a long enough layover (I have about 5 hours in PEK before heading off to DSN/Ordos on CA), is it even possible to get into T3 to go to the CX lounge, or is that likely not to be allowed?

Also a longish layover on the return on China Eastern.

Also worth noting: The CA Business lounge in T2 is also Priority Pass, so anyone that has PP through Chase Sapphire Reserve or similar card with multiple free guests can bring in more people than with AA status. Although it seems that this does not work with the First Class lounge in T2 (from what I see) and that may be EXP-only.

Cheers.
I'm not sure if your BP will allow (machine reader at T3,) you access. But, between the cross terminal bus (RT is like 30+ minutes,) and passport control and security check at T3 (I'd been stuck for over an hour often,) it would seem not to be a worthwhile option.

I had MH business class and the CA FC lounge (near the CX lounge) refused entry. Not sure about the T2 CA FC lounge though.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 11:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Thanks for the feedback. I did recall a CA lounge remaining in T2 but wasn't sure if this was an error on the AA website listing for PEK

In any case - there in 2.5 weeks and I'll update this thread

On China Southern, speculation is due to Delta's stronger tie up with China Eastern that China Southern is a likely conversion to move to OneWorld.

Originally Posted by NavSTL
Concur - I normally route via HKG, ICN or NRT/HND to catch a long haul from there. With AA doing the nonstop routes though it's an easier option even with the mediocre airport experience. Not impressed with T3 and done about 40 flights+ through there since it's opened. Done a few via T2 since T3 opened and it's not as nice but nowhere in a worse league than T3 - they are on par

Last edited by NickP 1K; Oct 31, 2017 at 11:39 pm
Old Jan 31, 2018, 1:06 am
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, Lifetime PLT, Silver EK Skywards
I’m here at T2 now waiting for my PEK-DFW. I arrived early hoping to do a self-check-in and go to the lounge. The app wouldn’t let me check in either. Well, there was no kiosk so I had to wait for the agents to arrive at 2:30 PM even though I had no luggage.
As an EXP I went to the Air China First class lounge which was OK. It has decent hot foods, free drinks and some massage chairs. Nothing special but it was quiet and clean.
The terminal gate area is not that big and there are only a few stores. And I thought PVG was bad...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.