Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Took other flight, but after takeoff was upgraded on other flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2017, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive

Curious as to why this happened:

I was ticketed for one flight recently. The flight was delayed, so before boarding, I was rerouted to another airport on a different flight. I boarded the different flight, took off and, while flying on the different flight, checked the AA app on my phone to see what happened with the flight that I was originally ticketed for.

On the flight that I was originally ticketed for, upgrades were processed after the new flight took off-and I was upgraded on the original flight. (The upgrade list on the app showed that I cleared.) I wasn't on that original flight, though.

Fortunately later on the check mark by my name on the upgrade list disappeared (although I was still on the list). The app continued to show the original flight--not the different flight that I actually took.

Is this an app glitch? Upgrade list glitch? Harmless ticketing glitch? Or something else?

Thanks.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA EP
Just a timing issue as to how and when u were cleared/re-ticketed on the new flight.

Originally Posted by NYCommuter
Curious as to why this happened:

I was ticketed for one flight recently. The flight was delayed, so before boarding, I was rerouted to another airport on a different flight. I boarded the different flight, took off and, while flying on the different flight, checked the AA app on my phone to see what happened with the flight that I was originally ticketed for.

On the flight that I was originally ticketed for, upgrades were processed after the new flight took off-and I was upgraded on the original flight. (The upgrade list on the app showed that I cleared.) I wasn't on that original flight, though.

Fortunately later on the check mark by my name on the upgrade list disappeared (although I was still on the list). The app continued to show the original flight--not the different flight that I actually took.

Is this an app glitch? Upgrade list glitch? Harmless ticketing glitch? Or something else?

Thanks.
JonNYC and nutwpinut like this.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 3:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Isn't there a movie where someone jumps between aircraft?
Old Oct 9, 2017, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
Just a timing issue as to how and when u were cleared/re-ticketed on the new flight.
Thanks for the response. I'm curious as to how.

I was re-ticketed on the new flight, and I boarded the new flight about 2 hours before the original flight was scheduled to leave (with its new departure time). So I was already on the new flight, in the air, when upgrades on the original flight were cleared.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA EP
Am guessing Simone didn’t immediately take u off of ur old airport upgrade list. Kind of complicated but the net is that the airport list is separate from your confirmed segments. So the airport list was cleared only to find out u were on another flight. Actually happens allot when people switch flights at the last moment.

Originally Posted by NYCommuter
Thanks for the response. I'm curious as to how.

I was re-ticketed on the new flight, and I boarded the new flight about 2 hours before the original flight was scheduled to leave (with its new departure time). So I was already on the new flight, in the air, when upgrades on the original flight were cleared.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
Am guessing Simone didn’t immediately take u off of ur old airport upgrade list.
Damn Simone....she's always screwing up!
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 8:13 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Often1
Isn't there a movie where someone jumps between aircraft?
There's another movie where the airline's Chief Pilot comes out of the cockpit and congratulates a passenger who crosses 10 M miles, too.

Definitely IT, timing and app gap. After the upgrade cleared you probably lost it because they whispered your name - afterwards, you may have been listed as a no show. Hold onto your boarding pass until the miles hit your account.
deeruck likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:12 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JDiver
There's another movie where the airline's Chief Pilot comes out of the cockpit and congratulates a passenger who crosses 10 M miles, too.

Definitely IT, timing and app gap. After the upgrade cleared you probably lost it because they whispered your name - afterwards, you may have been listed as a no show. Hold onto your boarding pass until the miles hit your account.
Maybe he'll get credit for flying on BOTH flts.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:48 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by nrr
Maybe he'll get credit for flying on BOTH flts.
It could theoretically happen, though I think the "be stingy above all" algorithm tries to prevent that. If it does, id be aware AA has been known to claw back various instruments they believe are issued in error even after a long time.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 11:17 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
I have definitely seen cases where I had two segments to the same city for a while, but eventually the unflown segment dropped out and I have never received credit for anything except actual flown segments. I'm sure the upgrade was due to that.

First time in ages I used systemwides and the fourth and final segment for a Thursday AM flight just cleared. It wasn't looking very good at J3/Y4 when I requested it a few days ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.