Wiki Posts
Search

AAdvantage & Citi ThankYou

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2017, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles & Marriott Bonvoy
AAdvantage & Citi ThankYou

So American Airlines and Citigroup have been partners for a while now. I was looking if citi could transfer to AA and it can indirectly however you lose a lot of value in the process. Since citi thank you points don’t transfer to any major airline in the USA, is it possible that sometime in the near future Citi thank you points will transfer to AA?
Old Oct 5, 2017, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by EhsunYazdani
So American Airlines and Citigroup have been partners for a while now. I was looking if citi could transfer to AA and it can indirectly however you lose a lot of value in the process. Since citi thank you points don’t transfer to any major airline in the USA, is it possible that sometime in the near future Citi thank you points will transfer to AA?
Are you expecting a representative from Citi to post here?

Incidentally, Citi has a slew of cards that allow you to directly earn AA miles.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
You might want to post your question in the Citi/ThankYou Rewards forum:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi...u-rewards-739/
Old Oct 5, 2017, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by kb9522
Incidentally, Citi has a slew of cards that allow you to directly earn AA miles.
Yep...kinda sounds like the OP wants to get a card with TYP and hope that they'll someday allow transfers to AA. Unlikely, and isn't there some kind of old saying about "a bird in the hand is worth a foot in the tush?"

(Kelly Bundy quote)
Old Oct 5, 2017, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EhsunYazdani
Not likely "in the near future". Rumors are that within the past year Citi approached AA about this but they couldn't come to any agreement. Chances are it won't be in the "near future" that try it again, if the last attempt was that recent and failed.

Meanwhile, Starwood transfers to UA at only 2:1 (ie, only half the value of 1:1). Would you be happy if TYP transferred to AA but only at 2:1?

So just getting AA as a TYP partner wouldn't be enough. The transfer rate would also have to be decent. But what if AA would only agree if the transfer rate is bad?! Would you rather have a bad transfer rate to AA, or no ability to transfer to AA, or are both equally useless to you?

AA might not want you earning 3x AA on gas and 2x AA on restaurants. If they wanted that, they'd have it on their own cards. So because of that, they might not be willing to have TYP:AA be 1:1 because it's so much easier to earn 1 TYP with TYP cards than 1 AA mile with AA cards.

Meanwhile, be careful what you wish for. Maybe AA would allow TYP to transfer only if Citi stopped letting it be so easy to earn TYP points? Would you accept TYP card earnings being "gutted" if it meant being able to transfer to AA, or are you only interested in TYP cards as they currently earn?

Ie, I understand what you want, but you also have to look at "what in it for AA?".

Last edited by sdsearch; Oct 5, 2017 at 4:52 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.