Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

As AA Moves Boeing 767s to PHL, CLT Could Gain Europe Flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

As AA Moves Boeing 767s to PHL, CLT Could Gain Europe Flights

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2017, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by DMPHL
(1) By the end of this month, there will be no widebody aircraft in American's fleet with angle-flat seats. All widebodies, including all remaining 767s, will have lie-flat seats.

(2) Just because AA is thinking of basing some 767s near-term at PHL, does NOT mean that usual A330 routes like DUB will be flown with them. Basing 767s at PHL≠767s will be the exclusive widebody aircraft at PHL.

AA will be upgauging some routes, using 767s to prospect some new routes, etc. Routes that need the range, payload, or passenger capacity would likely not just switch to the 767. Whatever wishful thinking the wuthor if this article is engaged in, nothing in AA's plans suggest pulling A330s from PHL (except for the A333s which are returning to their lessor) and sending them to CLT.
I'm not too sure that it is wishful thinking, the VP of rote planning said it to the author and it appears to be backed up by a Philly bus journal article. Plus its what I've been hearing more of recently.

For CLT, realistically, I can see a year round extension to DUB and MAD, potentially CDG; as for new routes, that are realistic, I can see Manchester. Munich could be in the cards if Lufthansa pulls out of CLT.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 9:56 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
But the point remains that the 763 in service will soon all have true lie-flat seats, so the issue of angle-flat seats is moot.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by Piedmont767
I'm not too sure that it is wishful thinking, the VP of rote planning said it to the author and it appears to be backed up by a Philly bus journal article. Plus its what I've been hearing more of recently.

For CLT, realistically, I can see a year round extension to DUB and MAD, potentially CDG; as for new routes, that are realistic, I can see Manchester. Munich could be in the cards if Lufthansa pulls out of CLT.
The VP of route planning did indicate that 763's will be based in PHL and used to start new markets. As a result, some of the 330's might be moved away from PHL. Everything beyond that is pure speculation going far out into S19 and beyond. I don't see PHL-FCO going 333 > 763 and does the 763 have the range for PHL-ATH?
Old Oct 3, 2017, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Piedmont767

Wishful thinking was too strong a term. I take the VP of route planning at his word about shifting some A330 flying from PHL to CLT (with some increased capacity to key OW hubs, potentially) as AA consolidates its 767s at PHL and MIA. My main point in my response was that it does not mean 767s are going to replace every A330 route from Philadelphia, especially on the routes that need the capacity (unless they replace LHR or other routes with one of the 772 versions, both of which have more J seats than the 333 but not its overall capacity).

I'd be curious to know which routes would actually be viable candidates for 767s to replace 332s and 333s...Same J capacity as the 333, more than the 332, less overall capacity by a significant margin than either of them.

The thing that struck me in this article and the other from the Philly Business Journal was the idea that PHL seems to have a cost structure when, combined with a base of 767s with smaller capacity and still-adequate range, allows AA to try out some routes with less risk than at other hubs. That suggests to me that AA isn't going to be launching new markets for the airline from CLT, even if they increase frequencies. But, I literally know nothing.

That said, the question of flat beds on the fleet is moot, because every widebody has them now.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 3:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Enjoy those 767s....they’re very old feeling especially in coach and a throw back thursday plane to how things used to be.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
So, any word on what they use for DFW-HNL and DFW-OGG?
Old Oct 3, 2017, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by DMPHL
Wishful thinking was too strong a term. I take the VP of route planning at his word about shifting some A330 flying from PHL to CLT (with some increased capacity to key OW hubs, potentially) as AA consolidates its 767s at PHL and MIA. My main point in my response was that it does not mean 767s are going to replace every A330 route from Philadelphia, especially on the routes that need the capacity (unless they replace LHR or other routes with one of the 772 versions, both of which have more J seats than the 333 but not its overall capacity).

I'd be curious to know which routes would actually be viable candidates for 767s to replace 332s and 333s...Same J capacity as the 333, more than the 332, less overall capacity by a significant margin than either of them.

The thing that struck me in this article and the other from the Philly Business Journal was the idea that PHL seems to have a cost structure when, combined with a base of 767s with smaller capacity and still-adequate range, allows AA to try out some routes with less risk than at other hubs. That suggests to me that AA isn't going to be launching new markets for the airline from CLT, even if they increase frequencies. But, I literally know nothing.

That said, the question of flat beds on the fleet is moot, because every widebody has them now.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 6:32 pm

The article clearly stated that while the a330 fleet might not be based at phl but would continue to fly from phl. Bottom line I think CLT might gain mad and dub flights year round but I think CLT might lose fco Bcn and paris once the 333 fleet is retired.The 767's will allow aa to open new markets not necessarily replace existing 330 markets.
DMPHL likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 2:51 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by jayer
My won't that play havoc with the still unresolved pilot seniority list.
There is no unresolved pilot seniority list. The integrated pilot seniority list was implemented last last year, and pilots are in no way constrained anymore by their legacy bases or aircraft.
JonNYC and TWA884 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.