Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: HELP! I need xx EQM / EQD / EQS by xx/yy/20zz / end of year - master thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2017, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Help! I need ....... by a certain date / the end of the year / to (re)qualify.

See here for the 2019-2020 thread.

Earning status:

Link to AAdvantage status requirements page on AA.com

Link to AAdvantage status benefits page on AA.com

If you have not received a buy back offer or would like to see your offer (if any), you can see it by visiting https://elite.aa.com

You must earn the requisite Elite Qualifying Miles or flown Elite Qualifying Segments in one calendar year as well as earning the requisite Elite Qualifying Dollar spend. That earns status for the remainder of the current and the following status years: earn during 2017, status persists through 31 Jan 2019. You must fly to earn; There’s no way to earn EQ instruments for yourself flying someone else or no-showing for a purchased flight.

See FAQ: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and partner airlines (2017 on)

Renewing status:

AA once used to offer "grace" if one was just short of achieving status, particularly if one was reachieving, by earning Elite Qualifying Miles or Segments; that hasn't been the case in recent years. Choices are:

1) Requalifying, but just missing the goal? AA has the buyback / renew / boost program, enabling you to purchase back status if you fall short of requalifying by stipulated levels.

2018 Buyback / Renew / Boost Program for Status year 2019[/URL][/B][/U].

NOTES:

• Flights flown as marketed by AA (AA codeshare) earn as if one is flying AA. (It doesn't matter where one purchased the ticketed - the word "marketed" doesn't mean where you purchased the ticket.) But watch those Basic Economy fares!

• Through flights with a single flight number such as MIA-PHX-SFO will count as a single segment and only earn miles as if flown MIA-SFO.

• One no longer must fly at least 4 segments on American Airlines or American Eagle to qualify for AAdvantage status within the qualifying year. (AA marketed / AA codeshares do count for this. This requirement no longer is in effect, but there is a minimum dollar spend requirement -MQD - as well as EQM or EQS.)

• EQMs do not include class-of-service bonus miles, elite bonuses, other participant miles, any other AAdvantage bonus mileage, or miles obtained from BuyMiles, GiftMiles or the offer you get when buying a ticket or checking in.

• If you were involuntarily rerouted losing EQM / EQS, you might want to read FAQ: Involuntary Reroute and Original Routing Credit (ORC) (consolidated)

• Two AAdvantage credit cards award EQM for high annual spenders: Citi Executive card and the Barclaycard Aviator Silver offer EQM at certain spend points, and the latter offers EQD offset. See your current card benefits for the amounts. (These are merely for status purposes, not Million Miler, etc.) The Barclaycard Aviator cards also award EQD credit.

• AA has introduced new "Basic Fares"; be aware of many restrictions.

Guide to AAdvantage elite status (requirements and benefits) on aa.com

Some links to resources and tools:

Use tools available (Google Flights, ITA Matrix by Google, etc.) to find flights for "mileage runs" or "segment runs" to complete status requirements. There are threads (and aa.com pages) that explain how many EQM you earn on AA and partners' flights

Link to Google Flights (put in the origin only, add your restrictions such as airline or alliances)

Link to FT-AA Thread "Using Google Flights for American Airlines flight searches"

Link to Google ITA Matrix (flights and rules finder)

Link to Innosked oneworld interactive network map and timetable

Link to Great Circle Mapper (miles and distance calculations)

Link to FT Mileage Run Deals forum

Link to FT Premium Fare Deals forum

Link to FT Mileage Run Discussion forum[/B]

For the 2016 thread, please see:

ARCHIVE: 2016 "HELP! I need xx EQM / EQP / EQS by end of year" master thread

For the 2015 thread, please see:

ARCHIVE: 2015 "HELP! I need XXX EQM / EQP / EQS by end of year" thread

The transaction date is what AA counts for account activity purposes, not the posting date.

Be aware of the difference between the kinds of miles we are discussing.

Those concerned about earning of retaining status are seeking Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM) to earn in the current calendar year. For that or EQ Segments, see 2016 "I'll be short EQM / EQS for status this year?" & related status earning qq

Others are looking for Award or Redeemable Miles (RDM) which can be spent on various awards and earned in various ways - flying, buying, gifting and even using. Your account redeemable (previously occasionally called "prize-eligible" by AA) miles will remain usable for a period of eighteen months after your last account activity - this can be earning miles in any way, flying or even via using your AA-linked credit card, purchasing miles or renting a car with an AA partner, or using miles by gifting them, donating to charity. To prevent your account from lapsing, you must have account activity in the period of 18 months.

AAdvantage members must have mileage earning or redeeming activity once every 18 months in order to retain their miles. If your account has no qualifying activity in any 18-month period, all miles in the account will expire. Qualifying activity extends the expiration date of all unexpired mileage credit in your account for 18 months from the date of the qualifying activity. Qualifying activity is defined as redeeming any AAdvantage award or accruing mileage credit on any eligible American, American Eagle® or AAdvantage airline participant as well as accruing mileage credit with participating hotels, car rental companies, credit cards, telecommunication providers and other service providers offering AAdvantage mileage credit.
The full AAdvantage Terms and Conditions may be read here, including information on earning, spending and reinstatement possibilities for lapsed miles.

A very few of the more popular ways of earning miles, other than actually flying, include:
● using Barclays, CitiBank and American Express cards linked to AAdvantage; see the AA credit cards page here. There are several threads that can be found on this Forum using the Search function.

● in the USA, signing up for AAdvantage Dining here

● shopping via the AA shopping portal - read about and link to portal here (iTunes for a few miles)

● buying, gifting or sharing AA miles - read more here
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: HELP! I need xx EQM / EQD / EQS by xx/yy/20zz / end of year - master thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2017, 7:45 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Lots of help in this FT thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mile...lp-needed.html
Old Dec 13, 2017, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by andersonCooper
Try CX PE to Asia, or QR J (not sure if sales are available now, try to search on the premium MR forum) to Qatar, or BA PE.

I tried to do a couple dummy booking on CX PE (SIN/PEK/PVG), but unfortunately can't find any within your price range. (~$3K for turnaround trip). IMO, PP is not worth it, especially at a hub like ORD.
If the OP only needs 13.5k EQM, there's no need to worry with premium economy or business fares. A simple ORD-PVG roundtrip on AA metal in discount economy will do the trick.

Agree that PLT Pro might not be worth it over PLT in this case, but a lot of that will depend on the flying patterns, and whether he/she will really get to take advantage of the free domestic upgrades.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 7:49 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
welcome to FT,
like Anderson said, you well also need EQD to hit the mark, please if you wish let us know, if you are close, I would also check googletravel or flight not sure which one it is, but it will show you flights and cost for a lot of places
Old Dec 13, 2017, 7:53 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
If the OP only needs 13.5k EQM, there's no need to worry with premium economy or business fares. A simple ORD-PVG roundtrip on AA metal in discount economy will do the trick.

Agree that PLT Pro might not be worth it over PLT in this case, but a lot of that will depend on the flying patterns, and whether he/she will really get to take advantage of the free domestic upgrades.
Good point, just did a dummy on AA, flying out of ORD to HKG on Christmas Day on CX metal, $1300. I can't deal with sitting in Y for 14 hours any more, so I was not thinking about it.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 8:06 am

Thank you all so far. I'm very happy to get the support.
I've already met EQD so just need to meet the miles.
So far, I am interested in the Hong Kong flight as it has a direct flight (more time on the ground).
Continuing to explore more options.
Thanks,
Ranz1022
Old Dec 13, 2017, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ranz1022
Thank you all so far. I'm very happy to get the support.
I've already met EQD so just need to meet the miles.
So far, I am interested in the Hong Kong flight as it has a direct flight (more time on the ground).
Continuing to explore more options.
Thanks,
Ranz1022
If you're looking at CX flights to HKG, make sure you are booking the AA flight numbers to earn full EQM. Most of the cheaper HKG flights I see that week are booking on the CX flight numbers, which in discount economy will not earn any miles. Most of the AA codeshares are pricing over $2k.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
If you're looking at CX flights to HKG, make sure you are booking the AA flight numbers to earn full EQM. Most of the cheaper HKG flights I see that week are booking on the CX flight numbers, which in discount economy will not earn any miles. Most of the AA codeshares are pricing over $2k.
Thank you JJeffrey,
So this means that I use aa.com to book under AA's flight code right? Even though it is operated by CX, since I'd book on AA site, I earn full EQM.
This is so key cuz I lost a flight from Japan to Singapore round trip due to booking CX earlier this year T_T
Thanks
Old Dec 13, 2017, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you JJeffrey,
So this means that I use aa.com to book under AA's flight code right? Even though it is operated by CX, since I'd book on AA site, I earn full EQM.
This is so key cuz I lost a flight from Japan to Singapore round trip due to booking CX earlier this year T_T
Thanks
You need to make sure it's booked as the AA flight number (AA.com will show options with the CX flight number too, so just going to the AA site is not enough). For example, ORD-HKG is flight AA8922 operated by CX.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 8:41 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Thank you JJeffrey,
Thanks
HKG to SIN is AA codeshare, but I don't think HND/NRT to HKG is a codeshare. So you are not losing that much.

Yes, like I mentioned above, AA.com, CX operated, leave ORD on 12/25, return on 12/27 for $1300, make sure it's a AA flight number, and enjoy Pier J near Gate 60 at HKG.
badkneeski likes this.

Last edited by andersonCooper; Dec 13, 2017 at 8:50 am
Old Dec 13, 2017, 4:44 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, United 1K
I also posted under the Plt Pro thread but curious thoughts on doing a trip to get $724 EDQ to move from Platinum to Platinum Pro. Already have the miles/segments. Thoughts?
Old Dec 13, 2017, 5:52 pm

FYI... There is a similar forum for EOY assistance at https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mile...lp-needed.html
aztimm likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 8:21 am

Programs: AA EXP
Need 4,000 EQMs (starting in UK)

I may just need to do my first MR (have done "extensions" of business trips but don't recall a proper MR)

Need before end of year 1-2 days of travel (including xmas) works for me, lowest cost is good. Happy for forums input. Trip to US and back on AA, Intra Europe BA biz class.

Are there any UK based shortcuts (e.g. a credit card that offers EQMs?)
Old Dec 20, 2017, 8:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta, Amtrak, Hertz PC
There is a separate forum on this site that addresses these very questions, the moderators will probably move your question to that forum. Good Luck

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mile...iscussion-627/
Old Dec 20, 2017, 9:41 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by seaskybound
Need before end of year 1-2 days of travel (including xmas) works for me, lowest cost is good. Happy for forums input. Trip to US and back on AA, Intra Europe BA biz class.
4000 EQMs within Europe would require a business class trip of 1400 miles each way (1.5* multiplier on BA flights).

But a Premium Economy flight to New York would get you 4000 EQMs in a single flight and you could return in January and accrue next year's mileage run early.

Looks like you need a Saturday night stay in New York for cheapest Economy fares, so the cheapest I can see is $769 LHR-JFK on Dec 30, returning Dec 31, which would net you 6800 EQMs (plus the cost of a New York hotel of course).
Old Dec 20, 2017, 10:50 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
4000 EQMs within Europe would require a business class trip of 1400 miles each way (1.5* multiplier on BA flights).

But a Premium Economy flight to New York would get you 4000 EQMs in a single flight and you could return in January and accrue next year's mileage run early.

Looks like you need a Saturday night stay in New York for cheapest Economy fares, so the cheapest I can see is $769 LHR-JFK on Dec 30, returning Dec 31, which would net you 6800 EQMs (plus the cost of a New York hotel of course).
An all Y flight to anywhere USA (On AA) would also do it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.