Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Ticket credit goes to name of ticket holder?! [scammer]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2017, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Hi,

Quick question. My dad booked and paid 800$ for a ticket on AA for his 'girlfriend' She turned out to be a scammer. Is there ANY way he can get a voucher? Or does the worth of the unused ticket always goes to person whose name is on the ticket?

I feel so sorry for him and it's a lot of money. He is devastated.

Thanks!
Old Sep 20, 2017, 8:41 am

A: This question belongs in the AA forum. A moderator has been notified.

B: He will need to ask AA to make an exception to its refund policies. It can be done, but it is entirely up to AA to make the exception.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 10:00 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
If it's a refundable ticket, then it would go back to the CC used, so he would not have gotten screwed for the screwing... well you know the rest.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 11:10 pm

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*
If your father booked the ticket and has the prn he can cancel the ticket - but if it's been more than 24 hours and the ticket is not a refundable class, then the scammer would be issued a credit for the residual value. In other words, the question is whether the ticket is or is not refundable.

If it is then it refunds back to the card. If not then the passenger gains some amount as a future credit. If that is the case you would need to plead with AA to help you out. If the scammer has done other things (stolen money, stolen identity, etc) then file a police report - AA might take that as evidence of legitimacy.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 11:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There might be an intermediate path in which father would not get a refund or credit in any way, but the "girlfriend" would not benefit either. Father might want to explore such possibilities with AA. It could be harder to do this if the scammer knows all the details, such as the PNR and ticket number. [One possibility that comes to mind might be to change the ticket to a flight departing very soon (of course without telling the girlfriend) and then fail to cancel it before departure. Under some fare rules, this would mean that the ticket has no residual value. Unfortunately, under this scenario, father would not get a refund or credit, but the fake girlfriend wouldn't be able to profit from the ticket either.
trooper likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 5:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Welcome to Flyertalk Kirsten Houten.

Please follow the redirect as we send this to the AA forum.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Sep 22, 2017, 5:48 pm

The ticker belongs to the passenger.

If the ticket is refundable/refundable with penalty , the refund on cancellation would do to the original form of payment

If it is a non refundable ticket that allows changes / changes for a fee, then the ticket value can be changed for use by that passenger only

If it is a non changeable/non refundable ticket, then it has to be used or wasted

The owner of the ticket is the passenger, not the purchaser

What type of ticket is it and what is the route. Generally only full fare tickets for donestic USA travel allow for refunds with cheaper ones allowing changes only for the named passenger

If this is an international ticket, it could be different

If there is actually a fraudulent activity, then perhaps inform the police and it will be able to address the issue
Old Sep 22, 2017, 6:33 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
When I purchase a ticket through a travel agency (Citi thankyou points agency, AA Vacations, American Express Travel, Harrah's Passport Travel) do I "own" the ticket? On AA.COM AA always refers me to the "agency" for any changes (which I assume(?)incudes cancellations.)
[In the case of Harrah's Travel, they are paying for the ticket, if I'm a no-show I am peanalized with a charge on my cc.]

Last edited by nrr; Sep 22, 2017 at 6:39 pm
Old Sep 22, 2017, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by nrr
When I purchase a ticket through a travel agency (Citi thankyou points agency, AA Vacations, American Express Travel, Harrah's Passport Travel) do I "own" the ticket? On AA.COM AA always refers me to the "agency" for any changes (which I assume(?)incudes cancellations.)
[In the case of Harrah's Travel, they are paying for the ticket, if I'm a no-show I am peanalized with a charge on my cc.]
If you are the passenger , then you have ownership - depending on which agent it was purchased from, you need to go to that agency for changes/refunds

Purchasing a ticket doesn't make you the owner of the ticket unless you are the person named on the ticket; for refunds for tickets made by credit cards, then the refund will go back to the purchaser
Old Sep 22, 2017, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat (Lifetime Gold), Hilton Honors Plata, Avis PFD
Fraud

Tell your father to open a police report (start with local law enforcement and see if they will take a report). Once he has a police report, he will have a report ID or case ID. This will help him when he speaks to AA. With that info, AA should take it very seriously.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 5:29 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Usual stupidity here. The owner is the purchaser. It may be an asset with no value. Pray for rain or a schedule change.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
Usual stupidity here. The owner is the purchaser. It may be an asset with no value. Pray for rain or a schedule change.
Do you want to expand on that a bit, with citations of AA policy?

(Weather cancellation or significant schedule change can allow a refund to the original form of payment.)
Old Sep 23, 2017, 12:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
And ... there might be a difference between how AA treats this if it involves a girlfriend who changes her mind and ghosts versus a criminal scammer taking advantage of a senior. I suspect you'll need documentation about the scammer aspect of it.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 12:44 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
A good agent should be able to make an exception and issue a paper voucher minus the change fee so that the 'dad' can use it for himself or anyone else for future travel.

Unless the gf knows that she is the 'owner' of the ticket, she may not even realize there is a credit sitting in the AA system for her to use. So it is possible the ticket could go unused by the scammer -- and while not the ideal solution, at least she doesn't profit in this scenario.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 1:26 pm
Suspended

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
And ... there might be a difference between how AA treats this if it involves a girlfriend who changes her mind and ghosts versus a criminal scammer taking advantage of a senior. I suspect you'll need documentation about the scammer aspect of it.
Agree

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.