FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   "I didn't stick my finger in it" (FA response to type of pasta)- Recent AA Experience (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1865848-i-didnt-stick-my-finger-fa-response-type-pasta-recent-aa-experience.html)

SvenAge Sep 12, 2017 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan (Post 28807814)
Nobody is inconvenienced. Not even the last row. The food is served well before the flight is over. Flight gets there at the same time.

I think it's an inconvenience having to wait longer because someone wants to be awkward and make a scene (happens sometimes, not a reference to OP). It's an inconvenience to then have staff hurry through a service because they feel it is 'eating' into their break time otherwise. It's an inconvenience when the staff look irritated, frustrated and downtrodden and can't offer you the same attention to detail because they're in a foul mood having answered every question under the sun and instead they just slam your food down missing your outstretched hand..... sorry this is the norm on BA flights but I can see how this could dissipate to other airlines. And while you can question how these can relate to one another in terms of cause and effect, I've seen staff get more and more flustered and annoyed as people take advantage and want what the previous person had got and more, and so on, where the first person had got a little bit more than they should have but staff were too polite to say no.

SvenAge Sep 12, 2017 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by GNRMatt (Post 28807762)
It's not about entitlement. It's about asking a simple question about what you are about to ingest. If you think taking 10 seconds out of an FA's time to do that is too much, maybe you are the one who has an issue with entitlement by thinking the FA should come to you more quickly and thinking screw anyone else who may want to ask the FA a simple question.

The issue isn't about the FA becoming quicker, but about the FA getting slower because of all these additional requirements.

Paulchili Sep 12, 2017 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by kb9522 (Post 28807723)
But you already know the sauce is not going to be good, regardless of what type of sauce it is. Pick a meal and let everyone get on with their lives.

This is such BS. I HATE tomatoes and thus I NEED to know if the pasta has a white or tomato sauce. I prefer the pasta to the chicken but if I take the pasta blindly and it turns out to be red sauce I cannot eat it and it can not be given to anyone else; nor am I likely to get the chicken instead after I took the pasta.
Is asking what kind of pasta it is really that picky and that time consuming? It would take the FA about 2 seconds (if that) to say - "It's tomato sauce, Sir". Then I would know for sure what to choose. Period.
For you to argue just for the sake of arguing is silly at best. Your opinion is outnumbered by a 100:2.

DMPHL Sep 12, 2017 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by SvenAge (Post 28808056)
I agree - staff are trying to do a job and they're being bothered by every third person asking if it's fusilli or farfalle. For two-thirds of the plane, I can see why that would be annoying. I have no issue with people and their specific dietary needs, but the sense of entitlement besides this is too much. It's like the guy in the fast food place where that keeps the server in conversation while the rest of us are lined up (10 of us) behind waiting to be served - wishing he'd just let the server do his job - and find that two minutes later the server has still served no one else because all the guy wants to do is talk to him about pokemon figurines.

Good thing that has nothing to do with the OP's very legitimate question to the FA, or the FA's unprofessional and rude response.

GNRMatt Sep 12, 2017 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by SvenAge (Post 28808146)
The issue isn't about the FA becoming quicker, but about the FA getting slower because of all these additional requirements.

That's BS. That's like saying if you check into a hotel, you shouldn't ask the front desk where the elevator is or what time breakfast is because it may slow down the front desk clerk from getting to the next customer. The FA has a job to do, and part of that is answering simple questions from customers. Let's not forget, each person on the plane is a customer that is paying for the travel and service on the plane (as limited as that service may be). If you really have a problem with someone asking a question of the proper representative of a business that takes all of 2 seconds to answer, I think the problem may be on your end.

Paulchili Sep 12, 2017 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by GNRMatt (Post 28808237)
That's BS. That's like saying if you check into a hotel, you shouldn't ask the front desk where the elevator is or what time breakfast is because it may slow down the front desk clerk from getting to the next customer. The FA has a job to do, and part of that is answering simple questions from customers. Let's not forget, each person on the plane is a customer that is paying for the travel and service on the plane (as limited as that service may be). If you really have a problem with someone asking a question of the proper representative of a business that takes all of 2 seconds to answer, I think the problem may be on your end.

Well said.

kb9522 Sep 12, 2017 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by Paulchili (Post 28808152)
This is such BS. I HATE tomatoes and thus I NEED to know if the pasta has a white or tomato sauce.

For you to argue just for the sake of arguing is silly at best.

Yeah. I'm clearly the silly one here. :rolleyes:

Paulchili Sep 12, 2017 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by kb9522 (Post 28808271)
Yeah. I'm clearly the silly one here. :rolleyes:

Yeah - we finally agree.You clearly are :D

muishkin Sep 12, 2017 6:46 pm

Jesus I can't believe there certain flyers in this thread seriously arguing that people shouldn't ask what they are being served on an airplane. And people wonder why there is a general dissatisfaction with US-based airlines. :rolleyes:

SvenAge Sep 12, 2017 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by GNRMatt (Post 28808237)

Deflecting the issue to someone else really isn't addressing your challenge here. I'm not bothered either way. My point is simple - I can see that staff have things to get on with and that answering multiple questions one-by-one repeatedly impacts service levels to the majority. For those that do make these requests, then these service levels will be improved. The question really is about whether the fussiness of others should be questioned. "How long has the meal been heated?", "How do I know it's coooked just right?", "Is it alright if you bring it back to me in five minutes?", "Do you know whether it has less than 400 calories?", "How fresh is the meat in this?", "do you know where this product was sourced from?", "why haven't we eaten already?", "what time is it in japan?", "are you sure it's 630 there?", "could you heat this bottle up for me"... yeah the customer service should be great when faced with these kinds of random stupid questions...:confused: People make the assumption that these things are answered on the spot. Ever noticed a FA disappear for half an hour based on one person's request? You can be sure this annoyed all the other FA and made their jobs more challenging.

SvenAge Sep 12, 2017 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by DMPHL (Post 28808225)
Good thing that has nothing to do with the OP's very legitimate question to the FA, or the FA's unprofessional and rude response.

Why is this a 'good thing'?
This relates to the difficulty FA have in providing a service because they are constantly interrupted, something which I would prefer not to happen on a flight. Of course, where people have legitimate dietary needs, it is completely understandable, but where people are just being awkward and enjoying having staff waiting on them like they're in a michelin restaurant.. well, I think staff deserve much better treatment. It's a difficult job as it is without people trouble making.

SvenAge Sep 12, 2017 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by muishkin (Post 28808592)
Jesus I can't believe there certain flyers in this thread seriously arguing that people shouldn't ask what they are being served on an airplane. And people wonder why there is a general dissatisfaction with US-based airlines. :rolleyes:

I suspect the majority of the plane do not ask either.. :D

Dr. HFH Sep 12, 2017 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by kb9522 (Post 28807564)
Should someone who is inconvenienced in a movie theater by someone else talking on the phone simply leave the theater and pay for another ticket to a later show time? Or should the real problem be fixed and the person talking on the phone be asked to leave?

About as inapposite a comparison as I can imagine.

So you're OK if you are served a dinner described as "meat" in a container with an opaque foil cover on it, yes? You don't need or want to know anything more about it? :rolleyes:

Paulchili Sep 12, 2017 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by SvenAge (Post 28808691)
Deflecting the issue to someone else really isn't addressing your challenge here. I'm not bothered either way. My point is simple - I can see that staff have things to get on with and that answering multiple questions one-by-one repeatedly impacts service levels to the majority. For those that do make these requests, then these service levels will be improved. The question really is about whether the fussiness of others should be questioned. "How long has the meal been heated?", "How do I know it's coooked just right?", "Is it alright if you bring it back to me in five minutes?", "Do you know whether it has less than 400 calories?", "How fresh is the meat in this?", "do you know where this product was sourced from?", "why haven't we eaten already?", "what time is it in japan?", "are you sure it's 630 there?", "could you heat this bottle up for me"... yeah the customer service should be great when faced with these kinds of random stupid questions...:confused: People make the assumption that these things are answered on the spot. Ever noticed a FA disappear for half an hour based on one person's request? You can be sure this annoyed all the other FA and made their jobs more challenging.

Did you actually hear and personally witness all these questions or are you just being extremely creative in making them up?
If they are indeed true and happened all on the same flight rather than individual requests over many years of your flying experience, then I agree that they would be annoying but this has no relation to OP's very simple and not annoying question. Also, there is no evidence that OP's simple question was preceded by all these silly requests and thus justifying FA's annoyance and rudeness.

muishkin Sep 12, 2017 7:34 pm

The measure of a truly good customer service is how it handles difficult customers. In this case the bar is much lower. OP asked a very simple question which can be answered quickly if the FA had any clue. Instead OP got a nasty sarcastic response.

I can't imagine if the same FA was on my flight back from SFO this last weekend. It was in a transcon J cabin. My seatmate asked a series of detailed and rather difficult to answer questions about the beef filet that they were serving. The FA handled it perfectly with clear and concise answers to each of the questions. When she didn't know the answer, she simply said I am not sure but I can check for you. Now that's the type of customer service that we should be getting consistently.

HMPS Sep 12, 2017 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by SvenAge (Post 28808056)
I agree - staff are trying to do a job and they're being bothered by every third person asking if it's fusilli or farfalle. For two-thirds of the plane, I can see why that would be annoying. I have no issue with people and their specific dietary needs, but the sense of entitlement besides this is too much. It's like the guy in the fast food place where that keeps the server in conversation while the rest of us are lined up (10 of us) behind waiting to be served - wishing he'd just let the server do his job - and find that two minutes later the server has still served no one else because all the guy wants to do is talk to him about pokemon figurines.

Yes chit chat or bantering when there is a line behind you is a big NO-NO.
Slightly OT- Suburban New York Bagel shop in Detroit area, line up every Sunday for hot bagels around 8 AM. At least ten minute line. We would all shuffle our feet waiting our turn...one guy would reach his turn and then studies the menu board of varieties ab=nd starts " I don't know...give me two X, two Y and then ummm , maybe 4 salt and all of a sudden How many did I get ! All in line get visibly irritated !
Next Sunday the same guy, same deal. Third Sunday a repeat...I could not hold myself, when he reached the order taker I yelled out " Give him a dozen assorted " ! Everyone cheered but the guy kept his routine ...I changed my schedule.

skylady Sep 12, 2017 9:59 pm

It would be much quicker to show the customer the pasta, and let them choose!

rickg523 Sep 12, 2017 10:18 pm

If the FA had answered civilly in the first place, it would have taken no time at all. Inferring a bunch of subsequent questions is unsupported.
Further, why are the same people who are saying airline meals are so bad that it barely matters what's in them complaining about a slight delay in the delivery of that very same unpalatable trash?

DMPHL Sep 13, 2017 7:06 am

Originally Posted by SvenAge (Post 28808716)
This relates to the difficulty FA have in providing a service because they are constantly interrupted, something which I would prefer not to happen on a flight. Of course, where people have legitimate dietary needs, it is completely understandable, but where people are just being awkward and enjoying having staff waiting on them like they're in a michelin restaurant.. well, I think staff deserve much better treatment. It's a difficult job as it is without people trouble making.

1. If it's difficult for a flight attendant to answer a simple question about what kind of sauce is on the pasta (the very simple question that the OP asked), then maybe they shouldn't be a flight attendant.

2. I repeat, your made-up scenarios about treating airline meals like a Michelin experience have NOTHING to do with the OP's situation.

You really like straw men, don't you?

Dallas49er Sep 13, 2017 10:15 am

Originally Posted by Paulchili (Post 28808418)
Yeah - we finally agree.You clearly are :D

Or not!

HMPS Sep 13, 2017 8:45 pm

"could you heat this bottle up for me".. one assumes you are referring to a bottle of milk / formula for a baby ? If not you have never traveled with an infant ?

kb9522 Sep 13, 2017 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by HMPS (Post 28813265)
"could you heat this bottle up for me".. one assumes you are referring to a bottle of milk / formula for a baby ? If not you have never traveled with an infant ?

Are you saying even the babies are picky about their in flight meals? :D

infinite97 Sep 14, 2017 9:28 am

I've experienced this multiple times on AA, unfortunately.

*me, sitting with my NC headphones on*
FA: chicken or beef
Me: removes headphones, "excuse me?"
me: can you please be a little more descriptive?
FA: HUGE SIGH, pulls out a meal, shows it to me, slams in back into the cart, etc.

AA really needs to send its employees to finishing school.

HMPS Sep 14, 2017 11:13 am

Originally Posted by kb9522 (Post 28813444)
Are you saying even the babies are picky about their in flight meals? :D

Yes, unless that poster was quoting an adult with no baby in sight !

BigEyedFish Sep 14, 2017 2:06 pm

It would make it a lot easier if the FA announced the start of the meal service on the intercom and described both dishes up front (doesn't need to be a Michelin star description, just something with a bit more detail e.g. tonight your choices are either chicken and rice with mixed vegetables or a cheese lasagna). Then a valid question would be 'chicken or pasta' to each individual person.
AA are giving me a choice about what to eat - just give me more information about my choices, that's all I ask.

davie355 Sep 14, 2017 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by BigEyedFish (Post 28816239)
It would make it a lot easier if the FA announced the start of the meal service on the intercom and described both dishes up front ...

Not everybody is going to be listening to these announcements; they would only divert nasty attitudes from uncouth FAs from "I didn't stick my finger in it" to "Why weren't you listening" :rolleyes:

Meals can be ordered on seatback TVs (a la Virgin America) where photos and nutrition facts can be provided as well.

Or, if that's too hard, just eliminate meal choices, give everybody a salad.

kmersh Sep 14, 2017 2:44 pm

I was downgraded from Business to Economy CLT-FRA, so I got to experience the Economy meal offerings and the process whereby the Flight Attedant at least on my flight offered the two meal options.

She stopped by each row and said, tonight we have two choice, an Asian Style Chicken with Rice or a Pasta with Tomato Sauce.

That answered any question that I might have had and at least from my row did not necessitate any further questions.

AlwaysAisle Sep 14, 2017 3:04 pm

Reason ANA and JAL has those laminated picture of meal choices is because especially on international flights not all passengers’ native language is English (or Japanese in case of ANA and JAL).

I highly doubt on international flights FA announcing meal choices on PA in English or FA verbally describing meal choices to each passengers in English will work for all passengers.

mapleg Sep 14, 2017 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by infinite97 (Post 28815067)
I've experienced this multiple times on AA, unfortunately.

*me, sitting with my NC headphones on*
Me: removes headphones, "excuse me?"
me: can you please be a little more descriptive?
FA: HUGE SIGH, pulls out a meal, shows it to me, slams in back into the cart, etc.

What if he answered like this:

Chicken-fowl, has beak, 2 legs, 2 wings, is able to both walk and fly short distances.

Beef-from the bovine family. 4 legs, no wings, can walk, definitely can't fly.

It's more descriptive.....

Paulchili Sep 14, 2017 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by kmersh (Post 28816381)
.. the Flight Attedant at least on my flight offered the two meal options.

She stopped by each row and said, tonight we have two choice, an Asian Style Chicken with Rice or a Pasta with Tomato Sauce.

That answered any question that I might have had and at least from my row did not necessitate any further questions.

That is all that is needed and that is how it should be. How difficult is it really - it takes maybe 3 more seconds to say that rather than saying "chicken or pasta" and it avoids most if not all questions.

The smallest state Sep 14, 2017 4:43 pm

Some AA attendants are really, well......ticked off. They don't like the company, they don't like the customers, they don't like the ......uniforms. Sadly this collection of people sticks around, continually letting out long audible sigh's or wheeze's, and shows a complete lack of any acceptable customer service.

I asked one middle aged guy on a DFW-NRT flight if I could have a drink when he walked past me, he actually told me that he was primarily there for my safety! Well Mrs. Smallest State hears **** like that and it's waving a red flag at a bull. She announced quite rudely that we were safe and she'd like a screwdriver in addition to my drink.

I told her not to do that as I'm worried about some disgruntled person messing with my food or drink and she replied that you have to treat some people like they treat you.

I've had some great AA FA's over the years, but you will run into these types too, luckily AA has nothing on Air Canada. That company has some downright hostile FA's, man they'll put anyone off of flying.

Matthew330Ci Sep 14, 2017 5:02 pm

Good thing I can just pile on rather than start a new thread about my recent flight from BCN-ORD in J. I was on the left side of the plane and the Spanish FA man made me feel like I was there to serve him. When it was meal time, he came around and knocked on people's tray table openings. I sat there waiting for him to open it but realized that he meant that as a sign that I should open it and take it out myself. He brought me the wrong meal and I told him I had asked for the other option and he barks out 'for who?' and for a moment I wasn't sure how to answer. Also, was too lazy to ever clean up the tray afterwards. I had to press the call button and someone else came by to clean up the tray.

davie355 Sep 14, 2017 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by The smallest state (Post 28816816)
Sadly this collection of people sticks around, continually letting out long audible sigh's or wheeze's, and shows a complete lack of any acceptable customer service.

AA needs to set up an accountability system. UA has (or maybe had) a rule where any GA/FA accruing 2 complaints from top status flyers is terminated.

An unpleasant FA is undiscriminating in unpleasantness. What AA might do is, whenever it receives a complaint about unpleasant FA behavior, send an email to everyone else in the same cabin on the same flight: "We've received a report that a [visual description] flight attendant provided unsatisfactory service on your flight. Please click here to confirm."

knit-in Sep 14, 2017 5:17 pm

None of these questions are the same as "what kind of a sauce is the pasta cooked in". There are no parallels in your argument with the OP's experience.

DataPlumber Sep 14, 2017 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by davie355 (Post 28816865)
AA needs to set up an accountability system. UA has (or maybe had) a rule where any GA/FA accruing 2 complaints from top status flyers is terminated.

Did you read that in the Internet, thus making it true, or did you get that gem rom your neighbors, brother who used to romp with this gal whose sister in law, twice removed told them that?

112 posts so far, anyone want to bet you've all wasted your time over a Y class meal? Epic this should be a "Sticky"

knit-in Sep 14, 2017 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by SvenAge (Post 28808716)

Again, no parallel. At a Michelin restaurant a member of the waitstaff will most probably describe the dish before you order it.

People asking legit questions about dietary needs are NOT trouble makers.

DataPlumber Sep 14, 2017 5:21 pm

dupe

filler

davie355 Sep 14, 2017 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by DataPlumber (Post 28816885)
Did you read that in the Internet

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27530983-post19.html

DataPlumber Sep 14, 2017 6:01 pm

Delete

3Cforme Sep 14, 2017 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by davie355 (Post 28816943)

Color me skeptical. Let a union rep come here and say 'Yes, that's how it works.'