FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   "I didn't stick my finger in it" (FA response to type of pasta)- Recent AA Experience (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1865848-i-didnt-stick-my-finger-fa-response-type-pasta-recent-aa-experience.html)

kb9522 Sep 11, 2017 3:20 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 28792962)
I don't take it as anything close to that.

I don't expect the Michelin star restaurant back-and-forth about types of pasta and sauces on a long-haul flight in Y.

While the questions asked hardly qualify as Michelin star back-and-forth, I have to agree with the sentiment. It's a simple question, chicken or pasta... just pick one without wasting everyone's time.

beachfan Sep 11, 2017 3:52 am

Originally Posted by kb9522 (Post 28801262)
While the questions asked hardly qualify as Michelin star back-and-forth, I have to agree with the sentiment. It's a simple question, chicken or pasta... just pick one without wasting everyone's time.

hard to imagine that the point is still being missed. Folks with allergies or vegetarians HAVE TO ASK. Nowadays, there are rarely peanuts in dishes, but that wasn't the case always, and it could be life or death for those people.

Dallas49er Sep 11, 2017 7:51 am

Originally Posted by SvenAge (Post 28795210)
I think there is a cultural difference here, where in America, the service is really expected and different to Europe. Being from the UK, it would be fairly normal to receive this response on a BA flight and I suspect par for the course if the server is much older. Whether it's passive aggressive or not, there is always the feeling that you're asking for anything non-standard is a burden, even in J or F. I just find it so incredible that people don't want to consider the person had a bad day and couldn't control their emotions. I don't think it's right but it's a very normal reaction in my experience - a typical response when the FA doesn't hear what your answer is as well - whether 'chicken' or 'beef'.. I mean on a first class flight the other day we had FA slamming shut the screens without warning, and basically shouting at us for doing nothing wrong. My expectation for service is fairly low where I feel we have to respond according to their attitude of the staff.

If I go to a standard restaurant in the uk and ask to be sat in a booth rather than in the open, then we will regularly get 'back chat', a sigh and dissent in terms of body language. And then we would still be expected to tip these staff..

I should say the best service I ever received was on AA flight in first on the transcon, the FA was unbelievably good.

(Red highlights mine)

I take your point about cultural differences-MrsDallas49erwas raised in the UK between ages 8-22.

Having said that, I feel very strongly that it IS NOT EVEN REMOTELY MY RESPONSIBILITY as a PAX/Customer=Revenue to put up with any servers=Expense "bad day"/bad attitude/crap whether they be FA, GA, restaurant server, etc. In my industry, there is never an excuse for it.

And before anyone gets their panties in a bunch, I waited tables and tended bar for 6 years to pay for college, coming out debt-free. I know what exemplary, great, good, and mediocre service is. I also know pasture pancakes when I see/experience it.

As a result,MrsDallas49er and I have had had a running disagreement :D for almost 30 years on what she sees as my "over-tipping" servers or handing out "AAplause" certificates to FAs and GAs when I see exemplary/great.

SamOF Sep 11, 2017 7:54 am

I actually don't know the answer to this question, so I'm not just being snarky:

How expensive would it be to print little postcard sized menu cards? They could be sitting on the seat at boarding along with blanket and pillows, and could actually include ingredient/allergen lists that were more extensive than an FA could provide.

nutwpinut Sep 11, 2017 7:54 am

The irony to me about this thread is that I rarely ask questions in a Michelin star restaurant. The one's I have been to have always had a very good written description about what is being served.

I wish AA would do the same as JL and other carriers. In Y, they give out a laminated menu when the FA reaches your row. Once you have chosen the FA gets the menu back, serves you, and uses the menu for the next row.

nutwpinut Sep 11, 2017 7:57 am

Originally Posted by SamOF (Post 28801923)
I actually don't know the answer to this question, so I'm not just being snarky:

How expensive would it be to print little postcard sized menu cards? They could be sitting on the seat at boarding along with blanket and pillows, and could actually include ingredient/allergen lists that were more extensive than an FA could provide.

On JL and other Asian carriers, they print out a laminated menu to give to passengers in the row they are serving. More expensive than the regular cards, but cuts the number of cards that need to be printed and it doesn't have to be placed on every seat.

I attached an image example from ANA:
https://1v7mh43xejam2hi9m11cptux-wpe...a-menu1-11.jpg

fly747first Sep 11, 2017 10:36 am

Originally Posted by TAPAL10 (Post 28792991)
Oh nice - very nice.

Not surprised though - LUS crew I will assume as CLT-LHR. Nasty in general.

True, the LUS PHL-based crews in my experience have always been much better.

HMPS Sep 11, 2017 11:08 am

Originally Posted by SamOF (Post 28801923)

A Add costs of labor and disposal of these cards.
B More you write down more the lawyers have an excuse to sue you !:(

Originally Posted by nutwpinut (Post 28801937)
On JL and other Asian carriers, they print out a laminated menu to give to passengers in the row they are serving. More expensive than the regular cards, but cuts the number of cards that need to be printed and it doesn't have to be placed on every seat.

Ah, trust the Japanese to come up with innovative ideas !

kb9522 Sep 11, 2017 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan (Post 28801332)
hard to imagine that the point is still being missed. Folks with allergies or vegetarians HAVE TO ASK. Nowadays, there are rarely peanuts in dishes, but that wasn't the case always, and it could be life or death for those people.

Of course they don't. They are free to bring their own food and simply decline the airline food. Especially if it's that crucial to them.

By the way, aren't all vegetarians that way by choice (religion or otherwise)? To stop meal service because you have some kind of objection to where food for mankind has come from since the beginning of time is about as obnoxious as letting your children run around the lounge like it's a playground.

davie355 Sep 11, 2017 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by kb9522 (Post 28802918)
They are free to bring their own food and simply decline the airline food. … To stop meal service because you have some kind of objection …

What an absurd, insensitive sentiment. A commercial flight is a shared mode of transit where passengers have the right to ensure their reasonable dietary needs and desires are met. Asking what kind of pasta is the pasta is among the least inappropriate questions I could imagine.

nutwpinut Sep 11, 2017 1:05 pm

Of course they don't. They are free to bring their own food and simply decline the airline food. Especially if it's that crucial to them.

By the way, aren't all vegetarians that way by choice (religion or otherwise)? To stop meal service because you have some kind of objection to where food for mankind has come from since the beginning of time is about as obnoxious as letting your children run around the lounge like it's a playground.

I don't think anybody has said anything about objecting on the food choices. Just want to know what's in the food in order to make an objective decision.

skywardhunter Sep 11, 2017 1:07 pm

Odd. Every long-haul flight I've been on this year has had a printed menu. Such a different world that side of the pond.

beachfan Sep 11, 2017 1:51 pm

this is an incredible and insensitive stretch. In 40 years of flying, I've never seen someone not get there meal because of asking about the food.

HMPS Sep 11, 2017 6:01 pm

...And you guarantee it will go thru TSA check points ?

Alan in CBR Sep 11, 2017 7:01 pm

"Pasta" is not a meal description, any more than "rice" is a meal description (or "potatoes" for that matter). Whether I choose "the chicken" or "the pasta" has everything to do with what the sauce is - you know, the bit in "the pasta" that has the actual taste.

muishkin Sep 11, 2017 7:48 pm

Ah it's story like this that reminds me how good I had it on Qatar Airways earlier this year.

Dr. HFH Sep 11, 2017 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by Alan in CBR (Post 28804398)
"Pasta" is not a meal description, any more than "rice" is a meal description (or "potatoes" for that matter). Whether I choose "the chicken" or "the pasta" has everything to do with what the sauce is - you know, the bit in "the pasta" that has the actual taste.

Agreed. Would you take a meal that was described as "meat"? You wouldn't want to know if it was beef, pork, lamb, boar, or dog?

HMPS Sep 11, 2017 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by muishkin (Post 28804527)
Ah it's story like this that reminds me how good I had it on Qatar Airways earlier this year.

Which is why many of use AA miles to fly QR & EY .^

OskiBear Sep 11, 2017 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by nutwpinut (Post 28801937)

I was going to suggest this as well. Also, once you decide, they hand it to the next row to decide what they want so they're ready when the cart moves to the row. It's all very efficient. Plus, since it's long-haul, the photo probably helps with the language barrier.

CLT Sep 11, 2017 10:03 pm

FWIW, printed menus are provided in YCL on HKG/AKL/SYD flights. I doubt it would be too much trouble to add them throughout the system.

IIRC, and as someone mentioned above, I do believe DL provides menus in YCL on intercontinental flights.

hbtr Sep 11, 2017 11:03 pm

The side dishes or preparation often drive my decision as much as the main food. It's not a waste of time to ask fo a little more info regarding what I'm going to be served.

kb9522 Sep 12, 2017 3:19 am

Originally Posted by HMPS (Post 28804252)
...And you guarantee it will go thru TSA check points ?

Are you saying there are no food options post security?

kb9522 Sep 12, 2017 3:29 am

Originally Posted by Alan in CBR (Post 28804398)

Strange how all of a sudden airline food has somehow become some exceptional gourmet cuisine for the purposes of this thread. It's a reheated TV dinner... I can't imagine people are this picky about their hungryman...

Dr. HFH Sep 12, 2017 3:51 am

Originally Posted by OskiBear (Post 28804753)
I was going to suggest this as well. Also, once you decide, they hand it to the next row to decide what they want so they're ready when the cart moves to the row. It's all very efficient.

AA cabin crew has no reason to be efficient; and the union protects them from any management efforts in this regard.

Originally Posted by kb9522 (Post 28805458)

No idea how you got to that; but it's not at all what s/he's saying. Having food brought in by an approved food vendor for a retail outlet is much, much different from an individual pax bringing in personal food items.

Originally Posted by kb9522 (Post 28805469)
Strange how all of a sudden airline food has somehow become some exceptional gourmet cuisine for the purposes of this thread. It's a reheated TV dinner... I can't imagine people are this picky about their hungryman...

Of course not; but with TV dinners, you know what's inside from the picture on the outside of the box. Exactly what's been suggested here. I don't think it an unreasonable request at all.

Paulchili Sep 12, 2017 4:16 am

Originally Posted by jamesinclair (Post 28793740)
Cheap pasta is generally served with either red sauce or white sauce

White sauce is cream based, and thus contains a ton of lactose.

Many people are lactose-intolerant.

Asking if the pasta is drenched in lactose is not a Michelin star question.

+1
Others hate tomatoes (like me) or may be allergic to them.
Hence the question was more than reasonable.

Paulchili Sep 12, 2017 4:20 am

.....It's a simple question, chicken or pasta... just pick one without wasting everyone's time.

What if one is allergic to one of the ingredients of the meal - like tomatoes?
Are YOU prepared to die just to speed up the food service or you simply don't care if this should happen to OP just as long as they serve you faster?

Dallas49er Sep 12, 2017 5:02 am

Originally Posted by Paulchili (Post 28805580)
Are YOU prepared to die just to speed up the food service or you simply don't care if this should happen to OP just as long as they serve you faster?

I get that there are dietary needs, real or imagined. The topic here is the behavior of the FA in question.

We are currently house guesting a good friend who is also the house guest from Hell.

She is vegetarian by choice and militant by nature. Dining out with her is impossible. No place where meat/fish served. Then a protracted discussion of the geneology of our potential meal when we finally do find a place. (Last night, I left the restaurant and came back with a Big Mac. When I got back, Big Mac in bag, they still hadn't ordered). She couldn't eat at our house until she bought some pans, dishes, and flatware that had never touched meat/fish and were for her use only.

To the topic-There are all kinds of PAX. But it is NEVER the FA's job to be rude, curt, judgemental, or disrespectful under any circumstances.

Dallas49er Sep 12, 2017 5:09 am

:D

We don't fly to eat (except if its restaurant week in Paris 9/18-9/28 :) )

HMPS Sep 12, 2017 9:19 am

...But then I will have to inconvenience the staff who are overworked at a much lesser payscale than the FAs, make those behind me wait longer, and PAY for it ! Whereas on an airline I have already paid for it !

BTW would you eat an unannouced soup with snake meat in it ?

Or would you and most people will go :eek::eek::eek: ?

beachfan Sep 12, 2017 9:55 am

Why don't you buy your own food instead of worrying and complaining about vegetarians, folks with religious beliefs, people who have lactose intolerance so you can get your meal 30 seconds earlier?

kb9522 Sep 12, 2017 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by Paulchili (Post 28805580)

You missed my earlier point which addressed this. If the content of the meal is so vitally important to you, the better option is to board with your own food. There is no reason to inconvenience everyone else because you feel the need to be picky, whether for good reason or not.

kb9522 Sep 12, 2017 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan (Post 28806786)
Why don't you buy your own food instead of worrying and complaining about vegetarians, folks with religious beliefs, people who have lactose intolerance so you can get your meal 30 seconds earlier?

Should someone who is inconvenienced in a movie theater by someone else talking on the phone simply leave the theater and pay for another ticket to a later show time? Or should the real problem be fixed and the person talking on the phone be asked to leave?

In any case, most of the time I do bring my own food or I'm in F and waiting isn't really an issue. But for someone sitting in the last few rows of Y seats, an extra 30 seconds at every row is a long time. Because of course the people in the next row don't listen to the FAs response to the same question from the previous row.

brewdog11 Sep 12, 2017 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by kb9522 (Post 28807533)
You missed my earlier point which addressed this. If the content of the meal is so vitally important to you, the better option is to board with your own food. There is no reason to inconvenience everyone else because you feel the need to be picky, whether for good reason or not.

Is asking a question about sauce consistency really "inconveniencing everyone?"

There are those with unreasonable expectations who will ask "is this cage-free, organic, non-GMO, commune-grown, free-range chicken?" However, that is a huge minority.

I guess I'm not on the "let's just accept rude service and hope they feel like being nice to us today" bandwagon, especially when it comes to health-related questions. When an FA yells at me to get my lunch order because I haven't had enough time to look at the menu, am I "inconveniencing everyone?"

beachfan Sep 12, 2017 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by kb9522 (Post 28807564)
Should someone who is inconvenienced in a movie theater by someone else talking on the phone simply leave the theater and pay for another ticket to a later show time? Or should the real problem be fixed and the person talking on the phone be asked to leave?

In any case, most of the time I do bring my own food or I'm in F and waiting isn't really an issue. But for someone sitting in the last few rows of Y seats, an extra 30 seconds at every row is a long time. Because of course the people in the next row don't listen to the FAs response to the same question from the previous row.

You have yet to say how you are inconvenienced. I have yet to hear from anyone who feels they are inconvenienced . And the total couldn't be more than 20 minutes at the end of the flight. On most non redeyes the food comes too soon anyway. You have 0 case. You are the one on the phone.

kb9522 Sep 12, 2017 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan (Post 28807654)
You have yet to say how you are inconvenienced. I have yet to hear from anyone who feels they are inconvenienced . And the total couldn't be more than 20 minutes at the end of the flight. On most non redeyes the food comes too soon anyway. You have 0 case. You are the one on the phone.

I've already stated I'm not usually inconvenienced. But there are 100+ other people on the plane besides me. I'm not the one holding up meal service, so I think the analogy may have gone over your head.

kb9522 Sep 12, 2017 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by brewdog11 (Post 28807597)
Is asking a question about sauce consistency really "inconveniencing everyone?"

There are those with unreasonable expectations who will ask "is this cage-free, organic, non-GMO, commune-grown, free-range chicken?" However, that is a huge minority.

I guess I'm not on the "let's just accept rude service and hope they feel like being nice to us today" bandwagon, especially when it comes to health-related questions. When an FA yells at me to get my lunch order because I haven't had enough time to look at the menu, am I "inconveniencing everyone?"

What people consider yelling these days is usually anything but that. And nobody is saying you should accept rude service. But you already know the sauce is not going to be good, regardless of what type of sauce it is. A lot of the posts here supporting seemingly ridiculous questions about various qualities of the food are just indicative of the sense of entitlement flyers have these days. It's an airplane, not fine dining at a Michelin star restaurant. Pick a meal and let everyone get on with their lives.

GNRMatt Sep 12, 2017 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by kb9522 (Post 28807723)
What people consider yelling these days is usually anything but that. And nobody is saying you should accept rude service. But you already know the sauce is not going to be good, regardless of what type of sauce it is. A lot of the posts here supporting seemingly ridiculous questions about various qualities of the food are just indicative of the sense of entitlement flyers have these days. It's an airplane, not fine dining at a Michelin star restaurant. Pick a meal and let everyone get on with their lives.

It's not about entitlement. It's about asking a simple question about what you are about to ingest. If you think taking 10 seconds out of an FA's time to do that is too much, maybe you are the one who has an issue with entitlement by thinking the FA should come to you more quickly and thinking screw anyone else who may want to ask the FA a simple question.

beachfan Sep 12, 2017 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by kb9522 (Post 28807564)

Originally Posted by kb9522 (Post 28807693)
I've already stated I'm not usually inconvenienced. But there are 100+ other people on the plane besides me. I'm not the one holding up meal service, so I think the analogy may have gone over your head.

Nobody is inconvenienced. Not even the last row. The food is served well before the flight is over. Flight gets there at the same time.

SvenAge Sep 12, 2017 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by kb9522 (Post 28807723)

I agree - staff are trying to do a job and they're being bothered by every third person asking if it's fusilli or farfalle. For two-thirds of the plane, I can see why that would be annoying. I have no issue with people and their specific dietary needs, but the sense of entitlement besides this is too much. It's like the guy in the fast food place where that keeps the server in conversation while the rest of us are lined up (10 of us) behind waiting to be served - wishing he'd just let the server do his job - and find that two minutes later the server has still served no one else because all the guy wants to do is talk to him about pokemon figurines.

mapleg Sep 12, 2017 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by Dallas49er (Post 28805672)
We are currently house guesting a good friend who is also the house guest from Hell.

She is vegetarian by choice and militant by nature. Dining out with her is impossible. No place where meat/fish served. Then a protracted discussion of the geneology of our potential meal when we finally do find a place. (Last night, I left the restaurant and came back with a Big Mac. When I got back, Big Mac in bag, they still hadn't ordered). She couldn't eat at our house until she bought some pans, dishes, and flatware that had never touched meat/fish and were for her use only.

If I had someone like that as a friend, I guarantee they would be an ex-friend if I were to witness behaviour like that.