Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

"I didn't stick my finger in it" (FA response to type of pasta)- Recent AA Experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"I didn't stick my finger in it" (FA response to type of pasta)- Recent AA Experience

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2017, 9:27 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

CLT-LHR AA732 - Sept 5

It's been a while since I've flown AA long haul, but the level of service on this flight was so bad it was almost funny.

Cart rolls down with a flight attendant who looked liked he'd rather be anywhere else in the world.

FA: "Chicken or Pasta?"
Me: "What sort of pasta is it?"
FA: *Audible Sigh*
FA:"Uh, some sort of bowtie thing"
Me:"Sorry, do you know what type of sauce is on it"
FA:*Louder audible sigh*
FA:"No, I didn't stick my finger in it. Do you want chicken or pasta?"

Surely my question wasn't that unreasonable? Also I didn't realise the only way to determine sauce type with onboard catering is to stick one's finger in it. Life's too short to care that much, but this was a new low for me on long haul service.
roadtriper and SvenAge like this.

Last edited by Gabrca; Sep 8, 2017 at 11:15 am Reason: renamed quote
Old Sep 8, 2017, 10:13 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
I'd write in to AA letting them know that and which flight attendant it was (if you can recall at least a description).
Old Sep 8, 2017, 10:32 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
I assume the last quote was from the FA, and not you?
Old Sep 8, 2017, 10:39 am

Maybe the FA was actually a large group of butterfly's wearing a human suit as butterfly's taste with their feet....or maybe he's just a jerk...the world may never know.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 11:12 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
I'd write in to AA letting them know that and which flight attendant it was (if you can recall at least a description).
Agree 100 %. Managers need to hear feedback of good & bad service. Or else how can they reward or retrain / punish ?

Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
Old Sep 8, 2017, 11:16 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
Good spot! Fixed
Old Sep 8, 2017, 11:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I don't take it as anything close to that.

I don't expect the Michelin star restaurant back-and-forth about types of pasta and sauces on a long-haul flight in Y.
atxtraveler likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Oh nice - very nice.

Not surprised though - LUS crew I will assume as CLT-LHR. Nasty in general.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 12:04 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by Often1

I don't expect the Michelin star restaurant back-and-forth about types of pasta and sauces on a long-haul flight in Y.
It's that black and white to you? It isn't a Michelin restaurant, so we shouldn't dare ask what the meal includes?
Old Sep 8, 2017, 12:09 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver

This is the problem...some people think something as simple as asking politely what is in a meal is too much. Whether it is due to dietary reasons or just not liking certain foods, asking this and expecting a simple, polite response with the answer is definitely not too much to ask.

We are still people on a plane, not cattle. And, while I understand to a certain degree why an airline may want to treat its passengers as cattle (money), for other passengers to do the same is downright sad.
1111, TheDudeAbides, mrow and 5 others like this.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 12:14 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold

I expect something as descriptive as "Pasta with Pesto Sauce" in coach.

I suspect the OP wasn't trying to determine the cut of pasta with the original question, but had to clarify the question to attempt to get the answer he/she was looking for.

In my experience, the people who care about which cut of pasta they're eating aren't the types of people who order pasta on airplanes in any class of service.
Calchas likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 12:31 pm

If AA really cares about customer sat then they have 3 options

1. Expeditiously terminate all d-bag staff
2. Distribute printed menus
3. Eliminate meal choice; serve the same thing to everybody

(1) is probably precluded by labor unions, (2) adds logistical complexity and (3) reduces logistical complexity, a win-win.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 1:06 pm

A few months back I had a Flight Attendant in Business FRA-DFW actually say to me after I asked if there was any extra bread leftover.

"Didn't you learn in elementary school to only ask for seconds after everyone else is served".

I actually started to laugh because the response was so comical but I saw from the expression on her face that she was not laughing.

She then just walked on and never came back and refused to stop when I attempted to flag her down.

Another Flight Attendant was more than happy to get me another piece of bread saying we have lots left over.

Go figure.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 1:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by davie355
If AA really cares about customer sat then they have 3 options

1. Expeditiously terminate all d-bag staff
2. Distribute printed menus
3. Eliminate meal choice; serve the same thing to everybody

(1) is probably precluded by labor unions, (2) adds logistical complexity and (3) reduces logistical complexity, a win-win.
I think DL now has menus on YC on long-haul intl.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
AA attendants are just that Absolutely Annoying, AA!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.