Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

"I didn't stick my finger in it" (FA response to type of pasta)- Recent AA Experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"I didn't stick my finger in it" (FA response to type of pasta)- Recent AA Experience

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2017, 7:15 pm
Suspended

You actually believed that one?
Old Sep 14, 2017, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by davie355
UA has (or maybe had) a rule where any GA/FA accruing 2 complaints from top status flyers is terminated.
Originally Posted by DataPlumber
Did you read that in the Internet, thus making it true, ... ?
In other words, the answer to DataPlumber's question is yes.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 9:06 pm

Let's not get off topic. Yes, I do believe the content in the linked post is true, and it's not just because I found it on the Internet.

Back to the point. The bottom 1% of FAs are really bad, as described in the OP and subsequent anecdotes in this thread--but at the moment there is no easy way for AA to identify these FAs. If AA wants to reduce the prevalence of OP-like incidents it needs to implement a process other than waiting for mistreated customers to write in.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
Lot's of interesting opinions on this one.

What I have found, especially in the current environment, is that it helps to be proactive and pleasant. The OP probably didn't care about the type of pasta (though we don't know that from the post) but did care, as so many have pointed out, about the sauce. In that case, rephrasing the original question to "what type of sauce is on the pasta?" may have elicited an informative response and eliminated all of the angst expressed in these 9 or so pages to date.

I'm certainly not trying to blame the OP in any way, I just find it helpful to be specific with the questions I ask. It tends to receive a more accurate response. A smile and a little congeniality have never hurt (oh there was that one time...).
Old Sep 14, 2017, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by davie355
Let's not get off topic. Yes, I do believe the content in the linked post is true, and it's not just because I found it on the Internet.

Back to the point. The bottom 1% of FAs are really bad, as described in the OP and subsequent anecdotes in this thread--but at the moment there is no easy way for AA to identify these FAs. If AA wants to reduce the prevalence of OP-like incidents it needs to implement a process other than waiting for mistreated customers to write in.
Out of curiosity, what do you have in mind?
Old Sep 15, 2017, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skylady
Out of curiosity, what do you have in mind?
We could start by having ISMs on every flight. If they had both responsibility for delivering a consistent product to the passengers and the onboard authority to make it happen, I bet that things would get better verrry quickly.

That said, we're talking fantasy, not reality. I recognize that such a change would be the subject of a negotiation based on the collective bargaining agreement, and would never actually happen. But look at foreign competition. All of the better carriers, and many of the not-so-much-better ones, have ISMs or equivalent. Other than U.S. airline cabin crew, can you think of a lot of customer-facing service jobs with no supervisory presence?

Speaking for myself, I commute TPAC five or six times/year in business class. I used to be a strictly AA metal (with the occasional AA codeshare on JL) customer, EXP. About two years ago I switched to QR; and both the hard and soft products are so far superior that I wonder what took me so long. And it costs less, too.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 1:32 am

Originally Posted by HMPS
Yes, unless that poster was quoting an adult with no baby in sight !
I think it was an unpleasant joke??? - a kid had just urinated in a bottle and the parent was handing it to FA. I don't think he really wanted it warmed up. The questions weren't all from the same flight. But.. many questions I've heard also didn't make the list, particularly requests made by passengers knowing full-well they were not entitled to things. And staff awkwardly trying to say no, though not always managing to.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by Matthew330Ci
Good thing I can just pile on rather than start a new thread about my recent flight from BCN-ORD in J. I was on the left side of the plane and the Spanish FA man made me feel like I was there to serve him. When it was meal time, he came around and knocked on people's tray table openings. I sat there waiting for him to open it but realized that he meant that as a sign that I should open it and take it out myself. He brought me the wrong meal and I told him I had asked for the other option and he barks out 'for who?' and for a moment I wasn't sure how to answer. Also, was too lazy to ever clean up the tray afterwards. I had to press the call button and someone else came by to clean up the tray.
my partner had a similar experience on iberia, so possibly cultural thing. in a separate incident on the same flight my partner tries to explain headphones don't work and she needs a replacement. fa returns with a scornful look and reluctantly hands them over.. stands over for a bit as if waiting for payment..
Old Sep 15, 2017, 1:38 am

Originally Posted by DMPHL
1. If it's difficult for a flight attendant to answer a simple question about what kind of sauce is on the pasta (the very simple question that the OP asked), then maybe they shouldn't be a flight attendant.

2. I repeat, your made-up scenarios about treating airline meals like a Michelin experience have NOTHING to do with the OP's situation.

You really like straw men, don't you?
I think the point is that quite often the FA or person in service do not know the answers and will not easily be able to get the answer. When you are serving hundreds of people and having to go and get this information, i can see why it would be frustrating - because a) you may not be able to get this information easily b) may not be obvious why someone would care if if it was linguine or taglitelle.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by kb9522
Are you saying even the babies are picky about their in flight meals?
Oh yeah definitely and can be very annoying on flights - but they cannot help themselves as they are unaware of social etiquette.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by muishkin
The measure of a truly good customer service is how it handles difficult customers. In this case the bar is much lower. OP asked a very simple question which can be answered quickly if the FA had any clue. Instead OP got a nasty sarcastic response.

I can't imagine if the same FA was on my flight back from SFO this last weekend. It was in a transcon J cabin. My seatmate asked a series of detailed and rather difficult to answer questions about the beef filet that they were serving. The FA handled it perfectly with clear and concise answers to each of the questions. When she didn't know the answer, she simply said I am not sure but I can check for you. Now that's the type of customer service that we should be getting consistently.
less pressure in business when the army of people being served is much smaller and the client, generally more refined.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 7:45 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by SvenAge
b) may not be obvious why someone would care if if it was linguine or taglitelle.
One more time. The OP asked what kind of sauce was on the pasta. Which the FA can do by, oh I dunno, glancing at it. So it doesn't matter if it wasn't obvious why someone would care if it's lingune or tagliatalle, because that's not what the OP wanted to know, and it's not the question that set the FA off.

And even if someone were being picky, the FA should never be an ... about it.

Last edited by DMPHL; Sep 15, 2017 at 8:17 am
Old Sep 15, 2017, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One more time. The OP asked what kind of sauce was on the pasta. Which the FA can do by, oh I dunno, glancing at it.
This.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 9:38 am

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
The thing that is incredibly aggravating for the flyer is the vast majority of FA's are good. However they also cover for the driftwood and deadbeat FA who is rude and uninterested.

This primarily happens in an 'us-or-them' employer/employee relationship that is strained.

AA does need to jettison some of these customer service vacuums though. Maybe set up a dedicated survey system of 'how was your flight', and match it to the employees. While anyone can have a bad day, overall the results will show who the people are that need to be shown the door.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 12:29 pm

Note - some text removed in quotes to make points clearer.

Originally Posted by Gabrca
CLT-LHR AA732 - Sept 5

Cart rolls down with a flight attendant who looked liked he'd rather be anywhere else in the world.

FA: "Chicken or Pasta?"
Me: "What sort of pasta is it?"
FA: *Audible Sigh*
FA:"Uh, some sort of bowtie thing"

One more time.
So it doesn't matter if it wasn't obvious why someone would care if it's lingune or tagliatalle, because that's not what the OP wanted to know, and it's not the question that set the FA off.

Really? And the title of the thread is "FA response to type of pasta"...
My point actually wasn't about specific details but rather repetitive and disruptive questions. I understand from this thread that there is a difference across the atlantic about where service begins and ends - here you get given something and anything else is extra, in america, it would more likely include extras such as questions (termed service), etc. Our mindset of service really doesn't exist to the same degree and that's not to say we wouldn't be better off with an american approach to customer service. I'm just trying to explain the different attitudes and expectations towards this experience. None of this is meant as a criticism of the OP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.