Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

"I didn't stick my finger in it" (FA response to type of pasta)- Recent AA Experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"I didn't stick my finger in it" (FA response to type of pasta)- Recent AA Experience

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2017, 7:57 am

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SamOF
I actually don't know the answer to this question, so I'm not just being snarky:

How expensive would it be to print little postcard sized menu cards? They could be sitting on the seat at boarding along with blanket and pillows, and could actually include ingredient/allergen lists that were more extensive than an FA could provide.
On JL and other Asian carriers, they print out a laminated menu to give to passengers in the row they are serving. More expensive than the regular cards, but cuts the number of cards that need to be printed and it doesn't have to be placed on every seat.

I attached an image example from ANA:

Last edited by nutwpinut; Sep 11, 2017 at 8:05 am Reason: Added pic
Old Sep 11, 2017, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by TAPAL10
Oh nice - very nice.

Not surprised though - LUS crew I will assume as CLT-LHR. Nasty in general.
True, the LUS PHL-based crews in my experience have always been much better.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 11:08 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by SamOF
I actually don't know the answer to this question, so I'm not just being snarky:

How expensive would it be to print little postcard sized menu cards? They could be sitting on the seat at boarding along with blanket and pillows, and could actually include ingredient/allergen lists that were more extensive than an FA could provide.
A Add costs of labor and disposal of these cards.
B More you write down more the lawyers have an excuse to sue you !

Originally Posted by nutwpinut
On JL and other Asian carriers, they print out a laminated menu to give to passengers in the row they are serving. More expensive than the regular cards, but cuts the number of cards that need to be printed and it doesn't have to be placed on every seat.

Ah, trust the Japanese to come up with innovative ideas !
Old Sep 11, 2017, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by beachfan
hard to imagine that the point is still being missed. Folks with allergies or vegetarians HAVE TO ASK. Nowadays, there are rarely peanuts in dishes, but that wasn't the case always, and it could be life or death for those people.
Of course they don't. They are free to bring their own food and simply decline the airline food. Especially if it's that crucial to them.

By the way, aren't all vegetarians that way by choice (religion or otherwise)? To stop meal service because you have some kind of objection to where food for mankind has come from since the beginning of time is about as obnoxious as letting your children run around the lounge like it's a playground.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by kb9522
They are free to bring their own food and simply decline the airline food. … To stop meal service because you have some kind of objection …
What an absurd, insensitive sentiment. A commercial flight is a shared mode of transit where passengers have the right to ensure their reasonable dietary needs and desires are met. Asking what kind of pasta is the pasta is among the least inappropriate questions I could imagine.
Calchas likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
Of course they don't. They are free to bring their own food and simply decline the airline food. Especially if it's that crucial to them.

By the way, aren't all vegetarians that way by choice (religion or otherwise)? To stop meal service because you have some kind of objection to where food for mankind has come from since the beginning of time is about as obnoxious as letting your children run around the lounge like it's a playground.
I don't think anybody has said anything about objecting on the food choices. Just want to know what's in the food in order to make an objective decision.
Calchas likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 1:07 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Odd. Every long-haul flight I've been on this year has had a printed menu. Such a different world that side of the pond.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver

this is an incredible and insensitive stretch. In 40 years of flying, I've never seen someone not get there meal because of asking about the food.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 6:01 pm

...And you guarantee it will go thru TSA check points ?
Old Sep 11, 2017, 7:01 pm

Programs: QP Life, AA Nothing, QF Bronze
While the questions asked hardly qualify as Michelin star back-and-forth, I have to agree with the sentiment. It's a simple question, chicken or pasta... just pick one without wasting everyone's time.
"Pasta" is not a meal description, any more than "rice" is a meal description (or "potatoes" for that matter). Whether I choose "the chicken" or "the pasta" has everything to do with what the sauce is - you know, the bit in "the pasta" that has the actual taste.
T/BE20/G likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Ah it's story like this that reminds me how good I had it on Qatar Airways earlier this year.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Alan in CBR
"Pasta" is not a meal description, any more than "rice" is a meal description (or "potatoes" for that matter). Whether I choose "the chicken" or "the pasta" has everything to do with what the sauce is - you know, the bit in "the pasta" that has the actual taste.
Agreed. Would you take a meal that was described as "meat"? You wouldn't want to know if it was beef, pork, lamb, boar, or dog?
Old Sep 11, 2017, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by muishkin
Ah it's story like this that reminds me how good I had it on Qatar Airways earlier this year.
Which is why many of use AA miles to fly QR & EY .^
Old Sep 11, 2017, 9:11 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by nutwpinut

I was going to suggest this as well. Also, once you decide, they hand it to the next row to decide what they want so they're ready when the cart moves to the row. It's all very efficient. Plus, since it's long-haul, the photo probably helps with the language barrier.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 10:03 pm
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
FWIW, printed menus are provided in YCL on HKG/AKL/SYD flights. I doubt it would be too much trouble to add them throughout the system.

IIRC, and as someone mentioned above, I do believe DL provides menus in YCL on intercontinental flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.