Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Award Advice: AA & BA to the Adriatic? Routing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2017, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat, 6.0 MM, Marriott LT Platinum

We'd like to take a one-way drive around the Adriatic next summer, either direction. I have about 600K AA and 200K BA. Outbound around mid-August and return end of September, so it's almost time to start searching for business or first awards outbound.

Does anyone have advice on best flight routings to search from St. Louis or Chicago for two people?
Old Sep 3, 2017, 1:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Do you have a start and end point in mind already, is it Bari and Dubrovnik? BA fly to both of these but only from London Gatwick. From LHR you can get to Brindisi and Pula.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 8:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Columbia Record & Tape Club Triple Diamond VIP
Consider IB. They have a solid business class product on transatlantic routes (and fly ORD-MAD year round), or you can take AA to MAD through DFW (to get the good seats). IB fly to Zagreb and Dubrovnik, plus a few destinations in Italy.

I'm not a fan of BA's business class, either over the water or within Europe, but they're perfectly adequate. You can take AA to BCN and then connect to various cities around the Adriatic, but I've had very bad experiences with Vueling. You might have better luck.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 9:36 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Originally Posted by siankaan1
We'd like to take a one-way drive around the Adriatic next summer, either direction. I have about 600K AA and 200K BA. Outbound around mid-August and return end of September, so it's almost time to start searching for business or first awards outbound.

Does anyone have advice on best flight routings to search from St. Louis or Chicago for two people?
I hope you are aware 1) that award flights taken on BA incur hefty surcharges (AA does not impose surcharges; IB does, but they are much lower than BA's) and 2) that a one-way car rental from Italy to Croatia (or vice versa) is likely to prove extremely expensive, if permitted at all.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 9:52 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
BA, IB, and AY fly into Split (SPU) on a seasonal non-daily basis. I just flew XXX-LHR-SPU-HEL-XXX

Split had easy access to ferries serving the islands. Hvar was only an hour catamaran ride away.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 10:59 am

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
If driving around proves to be unworkable, trains are an option.

And there are ferries between Italy and Croatia as well. So a complete loop with car/train plus ferry would let you start and end in your choice of FCO/FLR/NAP, if that made the award search easier.

Either way, visiting the Adriatic coast of Italy gives you an excellent chance to add San Marino to the list.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by skunker
BA, IB, and AY fly into Split (SPU) on a seasonal non-daily basis. I just flew XXX-LHR-SPU-HEL-XXX

Split had easy access to ferries serving the islands. Hvar was only an hour catamaran ride away.
As well as being a good entry point for exploring Croatia, Split is also a lovely town in itself - well worth a visit. ^
andox and skunker like this.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
As skunker alluded to, don't rule out Finnair (AY). They fly seasonally to both SPU and DBV, have decent award availability if you plan in advance, and HEL is a pleasure to connect through (particiuarly in comparison with LHR). We just flew back on them from DBV last month using AA miles in J and had no complaints.

-FlyerBeek
JonNYC and skunker like this.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Must you start in August? The beaches are crushed then.

in May/June I did Venice/Rovinj/plitvice lakes (inland detour), zadar, split, dubrovnik. IB from Lax to VCE. Was supposed to takes them on the return, but they schedule changed, giving me a misconnect, and would not adjust the TATL, leaving me stuck. So I went BA from DBV to Gatwick, overnighted and then lhr-lax on AA.

i was actually happy with that as I overnighted in London and had a great evening., plus AAs 789 hard product beat IBs Airbus hands down. But doing Gatwick -Heathrow the same day would have been miserable.

Last edited by beachfan; Sep 5, 2017 at 2:04 am
Old Sep 4, 2017, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan
i was actually happy with that as I overnighted in London and had a great evening., plus AAs 789 beat IBs 777 hands down.
Huh? IB doesn't have any 777s...
Old Sep 4, 2017, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat, 6.0 MM, Marriott LT Platinum
Thanks everyone for your great advice. Much appreciated!
Old Sep 5, 2017, 2:04 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Huh? IB doesn't have any 777s...
corrected

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.