Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Is it normal for AA IT to be total crap? (OLCI boarding pass issues)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2017, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM PM

I'm a DL person and have never had an issue getting a BP either from my laptop or app on DL. Can't do either from the link AA sent me upon checkin.

Tried to download the app to my iPhone and failed.

Are these known problems?
Old Aug 31, 2017, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie
I'm a DL person and have never had an issue getting a BP either from my laptop or app on DL. Can't do either from the link AA sent me upon checkin.

Tried to download the app to my iPhone and failed.

No, this isn't normal. Is it perhaps an international flight where documents need to be verified in person? Otherwise, likely a glitch.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 9:45 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
While not normal, it certainly is not rare

AA IT is light years behind what you are used to at DL. It just a sad fact...
Old Aug 31, 2017, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM PM
Originally Posted by rjw242
No, this isn't normal. Is it perhaps an international flight where documents need to be verified in person? Otherwise, likely a glitch.
No, it's not. Should be straightforward but I get a message saying there are problems, try later. Happened for hours on end.

OTOH I just managed to download the app and got the BP that way. So perhaps you're right, it was just an unfortunate glitch!
Old Sep 1, 2017, 5:54 am

Programs: AA Explat / UA Silver
I just had this on the app and aa.com for a flight this afternoon so this may be a broader issue (I have never had this happen before).
Old Sep 1, 2017, 9:51 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
I had trouble with checking in on the mobile app for my flight today, IND-LAX-HKG as the next button never changed color allowing me to go further after putting int he passport info etc. I went online and put in my info info into my record and then went back to the app and it let me move forward before finally telling me to check in with an agent. I decided to give it a shot on the web site and it worked fine.

Yes, AA has a loooong way to go when it comes to advancing their technology.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA PLT PRO, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plt. Premier
Pretty ironic title considering Delta's multiple IT meltdowns in the last year or so. I mean the poor man could not get his BP on his phone, so AA has horrible IT, DL cancels 1,000's of flights because of IT meltdowns and AA is the one with bad IT ?
Old Sep 1, 2017, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by dgparent
Pretty ironic title considering Delta's multiple IT meltdowns in the last year or so. I mean the poor man could not get his BP on his phone, so AA has horrible IT, DL cancels 1,000's of flights because of IT meltdowns and AA is the one with bad IT ?
As it specifically relates to the APP yes, AA has the poorest IT among the big 3.
waalien likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by dgparent
Yes. Have you used any of the other airlines websites or apps? I am guessing not or it would be obvious why people are complaining about AA. Not excusing the DL meltdown but had those on AA has had outages as well though not as extensive.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 12:07 am

Programs: AA EP
You couldn't have gotten ur BP anyways!

Originally Posted by mcgahat
I had trouble with checking in on the mobile app for my flight today, IND-LAX-HKG as the next button never changed color allowing me to go further after putting int he passport info etc. I went online and put in my info info into my record and then went back to the app and it let me move forward before finally telling me to check in with an agent. I decided to give it a shot on the web site and it worked fine.

Yes, AA has a loooong way to go when it comes to advancing their technology.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 4:03 am

Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
You couldn't have gotten ur BP anyways!
Such and insightful response......
Old Sep 2, 2017, 2:10 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
AA's IT has many issues but generally OLCI isn't one of them. At least in the last few years. Since the merger, any OLCI issue I've had was because a document check was required or an OAL record was fubar.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
No, it's not. Should be straightforward but I get a message saying there are problems, try later. Happened for hours on end.

OTOH I just managed to download the app and got the BP that way. So perhaps you're right, it was just an unfortunate glitch!
Lucky you. When AA.com said there was an error and I couldn't get a boarding pass, it meant SSSS and a lovely extra security check. This was departing CDG. I recognized the likely reason and left extra time at the airport, which was a good thing. But if you were able to get the mobile boarding pass, that's not it almost certainly.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 12:24 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
..Tried to download the app to my iPhone and failed.

Cannot answer for the bulk ... but if you live abroad, nothing ever works with AA's app. Neither checking your mileage balance, nor activity, let alone OLCI.

I sample once a month to check if AA arrived from the middle ages in 2010 ....
Old Sep 3, 2017, 10:02 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
You used to be able to call AA tech support and get a USA based person in their IT operations - who would report the issue, knew the system, and took action.

Now when you call AA tech support you get a Philippine's call center, where the people are difficult to understand, they don't know the system or website, and all they can do is type in your explanation in opening a ticket on the issue. And since they don't know the system, the write up will likely not go anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.