Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is AA Domestic First Class worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2017, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by DataPlumber
This should be a sticky!
Exactly. One of my random pet peeves is when people ask "is it worth it". It's completely subjective and how can a bunch of strangers really answer that question? Everyone has their own value system for things.

The fact that of your average 737-800 only 10% of the seats are in F, around 90% of people don't think F is worth it. Yes, that does draw some assumptions into play but broadly speaking the general populace do not think F is worth it. Now are you that general populace or not?

My advice:
1) Read up the benefits of F
2) Determine how much you would pay for those
3) If more than AA is asking then yes, F is worth it TO YOU ON THIS FLIGHT. If less than AA is asking then no, F is not worth it TO YOU ON THIS FLIGHT.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 8:44 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Interesting posts.

"marginally better legroom"... 31" vs. 38" on a 738 is hardly "marginal" for someone 6'4", or someone whose experience "up front" is in BA Club Europe with 30" pitch and an empty coach seat between two occupied; for someone 5'4" it might be trivial. And not everyone is qualified to sit in an exit row.

"free checked baggage"... might be a genuine incentive, given the cost of checking bags, but it won't make up the cost difference, as stated by LAXRuss.

"auto-upgrade"... is "instant upgrade", and there is a thread (with a caveat about IROPS) on that; AlwaysAisle is spot on with this.

"A321B"... just means an A321 with "Sharklets" wingtip devices, and includes the three class A321T, and the two class A321S and A321H (like S but ETOPS) aircraft. I suspect the intent is to mention the A321S, because the -T model is a very different experience, more akin to international Business and doesn't fly the proposed route the OP puts forth.

There are intangibles and unpredictable bits. The service could be dreadful - delayed departure, no predeparture beverage, surly cabin crew, broken seat with no recline, dirty lav, rubbish and dirt left behind by other passengers never cleared, missing service cart so no food, etc. Or it could be like mine a month ago on a flight of similar length in a LUS A320, an absolute and memorable delight, with amazing service (including mixed drinks made to order from a recited menu from the FA, and a float drink served from a tray with smoking (dry ice) glasses, in my memory the best mid-con flight and FA I've experienced in flying AA ~70 years.

The OP will undoubtedly experience something in between those extremes, but they are the poles of mine on AA 2-4 hour flights.

"Is it worth it?" leads to a very subjective and complex answer. Is $260 an insignificant amount in one's budget, or is it impactful? Is one a flying aficionado and yearning to check the experience out? Etc. (As Fraser aptly pointed out while I was posting.) Decisions, decisions.
zpaul likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 9:06 am

If it includes a full meal, I'd go for it! Life is short, enjoy it while you can!
hi55us and jacobguo like this.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 9:20 am

Programs: USAir (Chairman), United (Premier Ex)
I fly this flight a lot (tomorrow) as an EP comp upgrade. If it's the 17:30 flight, there will be a meal. I wouldn't say the service is "dreadful". This flight is normally ontime. If you have two bags and no status, it's probably worth the $260. Otherwise, no. Completely subjective though.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:20 am

Programs: AA EP, MUCCI, Proudly BA Blue,.
My rule of thumb is that if the flight is less than three hours, just fly coach.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:23 am

When I travel with my wife, I much prefer 2-2 first to 3-3 economy or MCE. We get annoying people next to us too often in 3-3.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I'm usually willing to spend about $100 on a 3-hour narrowbody upgrade. However, I'm usually doing that on AA or AS where I already escape the worst Y treatment and seats due to AA Gold status.

If I were flying with no status, especially if I was planning on checking bags, I'd probably pay a little more. $130 each way would be right around what I'd be willing to do.

On the plus side: by booking this early, you'll likely get a good pick of F seats. Kiosk upgraders don't always get that.

On the minus side: $340 R/T in Y is a little high, but that's because you're *so* far in advance that no really discounted fares have been added yet. You can probably afford to wait and see if that fare drops...and still have access to some sort of $600-ish F fare (on some airline...) later.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:49 am

Programs: AA EX PLT, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Domestic First Class is worth it when you get an upgrade.
apeortdz likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jsintexas
Domestic First Class is worth it when you get an upgrade.
Since OP sounds new to AA, he's probably not getting an EXP upgrade.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
It is an entirely personal, subjective question. AA's F class varies widely, even on shorter flights. I have had everything from NGBC to fully lie-flat J to quite old-style F seats (usually on LUS planes) and everything in between.

I pay for F (international J) on all domestic flights over an hour for personal health reasons, and there's an end to it. In my case, it's simply better to have fewer people in the cabin, and to have a bit more room to move.

My husband and I are middle-aged and, while we are not wealthy by any stretch of the imagination, we live within our means, and can afford a few (minor, really) luxuries. Especially when it comes to preserving health and well-being.
deeruck likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 11:26 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by matinicus rock
My rule of thumb is that if the flight is less than three hours, just fly coach.
For me the threshold is 4 hours.
I wouldn't even pay $50 to upgrade to domestic first for a four hours flight.

I am 6' tall and LT Gold, so I am usually able to pick an extra leg room economy seat. I never check bags and always pack light.

I may pay extra for business on a LAX-JFK flight or a TATL flight.

Domestic F is so pedestrian. But I do welcome a free upgrade. It is more comfortable, definitely.

PS. I forgot to add. If I was chasing status, I may take a second look at a Domestic F ticket, but just because I am chasing status. But, I no longer chase status with any airline. So there it is
Old Aug 31, 2017, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by richarddd
When I travel with my wife, I much prefer 2-2 first to 3-3 economy or MCE. We get annoying people next to us too often in 3-3.
You'll almost always save a lot of money buying 3 coach seats for the two of you than two first class seats. Then have a nice meal in an airport restaurant before departure. @:-)
Old Aug 31, 2017, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JDiver
Interesting posts.

"marginally better legroom"... 31" vs. 38" on a 738 is hardly "marginal"
FWIW, pitch is not the same as legroom. The FC seat is deeper so that extra 7" of pitch does not translate into 7" of legroom.
That said, since legroom is a relatively small component of the pitch (less than 1/3 in Y I'm guessing), the percentage difference between coach legroom and FC legroom is actually quite large.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
You'll almost always save a lot of money buying 3 coach seats for the two of you than two first class seats. Then have a nice meal in an airport restaurant before departure. @:-)
Does AA let you do that? (I'm only asking as I think on Delta it's "tricky" and have to use a special code like XTRASEAT or something, if you're not a POS).

POS=person of size, BTW (not the other one).
haha
Old Aug 31, 2017, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MADPhil
AA value the bump up at $0.10 per mile for voucher compensation if you buy an "instant upgrade" ticket and IRROPS force you into coach. I feel that it is generally worth that much and will sometimes pay more. If you are willing to pay what it costs to give it a try then go for it!
I always make a screen shot of the page showing the difference in the price between coach and first class. (Or i select coach and screen shot the offer to "Upgrade to first class for $260").

If you do end up flying coach, you can claim the true difference, and that documentation will make it easier for either the DOT or a small claims court to want to side with you, should AA give you any trouble.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.