Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Full-fare Y and AAnytime Awards no longer get MCE/Preferred seats - eff 30 Aug 17

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Full-fare Y and AAnytime Awards no longer get MCE/Preferred seats - eff 30 Aug 17

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2017, 5:54 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
Originally Posted by dw
There was speculation elsewhere that those most impacted by this change may be government workers traveling on contracted fares, which allegedly always book into Y, but are under negotiated fares that price out nowhere near the published Y fares.

Anyone have insight into this?
As a Government employee based in an area in which I do have a choice - the policy of Y ticket getting MCE was the influencing factor to choose AA over other airlines to places the contract carrier offers a choice.

Now that all domestic carrier are pretty much the same, I'd chose only according to schedule and I'd rather chose UA - at least I'll get lounge access from *G.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 6:12 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I'm lifetime plat*, so I guess this new policy is a plus for me--more mce seats will be available than prior to Aug. 30**.
*re lt plat: AA could re-vamp the program and remove "lifetime" categories at their discretion.
**August has 31 days,..it would seem to me that using "prior to Sept 1" would be a more logical way of stating "stuff".
Old Aug 25, 2017, 6:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nrr
**August has 31 days,..it would seem to me that using "prior to Sept 1" would be a more logical way of stating "stuff".
"on or after August 30, 2017" does the job just fine, thanks.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 7:00 am

I find this sooo disappointing. As my hubby and I don't travel as frequently as most folks on this board, I am not saying we deserve the same perks as everyone, but seriously? First, where we are, AA holds the majority of the gates. If we want to fly anyone else, we will have to have multiple stops. Second, when hubby and fly together, it would be nice if we got to actually sit together. Nice that we'll have to pay extra that privilege. AA- you are doing everything you can to run off customers.

Missing the good old days when flying was fun.
Erika
Old Aug 25, 2017, 9:36 am

ination at 8 AM the next day. Even better, when I search for sAAver awards, those are the only option! Thanks AA!

Last edited by shimps1; Dec 7, 2019 at 11:17 pm
Old Aug 25, 2017, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by birdylady
I find this sooo disappointing. As my hubby and I don't travel as frequently as most folks on this board, I am not saying we deserve the same perks as everyone, but seriously? First, where we are, AA holds the majority of the gates. If we want to fly anyone else, we will have to have multiple stops. Second, when hubby and fly together, it would be nice if we got to actually sit together. Nice that we'll have to pay extra that privilege. AA- you are doing everything you can to run off customers.
Were you actually buying full-fare tickets (usually $1,500-2,000+ r/t on domestic), or frequently redeeming AAnytime awards (50k miles for a domestic r/t, for example)? If not, this doesn't really impact you.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shimps1
This is a huge hit to people who are getting significant miles from CC spend, and not from flying, myself included.
And there's probably a reason for that...

But certainly it's a stick in the eye for anyone who does have to cough up the AAnytime miles.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon
And there's probably a reason for that...

But certainly it's a stick in the eye for anyone who does have to cough up the AAnytime miles.
Not sure why AA cares how the miles are earned though..... Citi is paying them for those miles, and if they are unhappy with the amount they are being paid then it's their own fault, not mine.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 10:50 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Next AA will make non-elites that pay for J pay fee to select a seat like BA does when one buys CE. LOL

Last edited by Zacnlinc; Aug 25, 2017 at 11:52 am
Old Aug 25, 2017, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
Next AA will make non-elites that buy CE pay a fee to select a seat like BA does. LOL
Full fare customers get seat selection for free.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 11:43 am

Programs: AA EP
Since u have so manny mikes from
non flying, why don't u just use miles for First?

Originally Posted by shimps1
This is a huge hit to people who are getting significant miles from CC spend, and not from flying, myself included.

I'm not elite on AA at all but I'm sitting on over 500k AA miles.

Now, I have to pay for MCE in addition to paying the ridiculous AAnytime award price. I was ok with lack of sAAver availability because AAnytime gets me free MCE, which I essentially require being 6'3" 280lbs.

I booked a DSM>CUN trip recently and it was 65k RT PP. Only saving grace to that was I got essentially $200ish worth of MCE out of those miles too, which I would have had to pay for otherwise. I guess I'm back to gouging my eyes out everyday trying to make my trips fit the sAAver awards.

Boy, I sure love leaving DSM at 1:30 PM and getting to my destination at 8 AM the next day. Even better, when I search for sAAver awards, those are the only option! Thanks AA!
Old Aug 25, 2017, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by Calchas
Full fare customers get seat selection for free.
Negative...

We purchased BA's CE fares last year LHR-BCN-LHR and we had to pay a fee to make seat selections.

This was before I had any status with AA. This year, we didn't have to pay a fee since I am EXP. Same route LHR-BCN-LHR.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 11:56 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I don't understand the hate for AAnytime redemptions. I've redeemed three AAnytime segments this year at about $0.02 per mile, which is fine. In one case, I got two one way tickets from LGA to BTR for 20,000 each; the flights were $450 each, so a decent deal there. I also recently redeemed JFK to LAX for 20,000 miles AAnytime, ticket was $407. These seem like good redemptions to me, and I imagine a lot more people may be redeeming AAnytime than you think. I guess as a Plat, this implies less competition for MCE seats for me (I've never really had issues getting MCE seats though).
Old Aug 25, 2017, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
Negative...

We purchased BA's CE fares last year LHR-BCN-LHR and we had to pay a fee to make seat selections.
You didn't purchase full fare, which is what Calchas was talking about.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
You didn't purchase full fare, which is what Calchas was talking about.
Got it... See that it's a flexible type of fare where the seats are free. At a markup of approx. 4x for our BCN fares out of LHR if purchased today... Wow!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.