Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flying (domestic, mid-con) F but denied lounge access!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying (domestic, mid-con) F but denied lounge access!!!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2017, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Actually, just because something has been that way for "ages" does not mean it cannot be ridiculous. There are many ridiculous things things US airlines do that are just accepted here, which, if you take a step back , are simply ridiculous. Like flight attendants treating passengers as "cattle" and yelling like drill sergeants. Or defining certain nearby countries as not international and taking away benefits on those flights (what if LH defined Poland as not international cause it is so close?) Is it not ridiculous you have to look at which airline you are flying and which part of Latin America it is before you can determinr if you are on an "international" flight?
You can certainly subjectively feel that way but don't expect everyone else to agree. I don't know why the fact domestic F has no lounge access is 'ridiculous' in itself - as that would require some sort of blanket assumption that "premium" is "premium" regardless of context. An assumption that is proven false not just by airlines in the U.S. but by pretty much all airlines.

All airlines differentiate long-haul and short-haul products and some even feature mid-haul products (at times somewhat arbitrarily chosen). Lufthansa certainly doesn't think your business class flight from Frankfurt to Warsaw is equivalent to your business class flight from Frankfurt to Los Angeles.

Perhaps we don't like that product differentiation, but if we book this product and don't bother to research what it actually is beforehand then I don't think I'd be going bonkers online acting like *I* have been cheated, like *I* somehow have had something terrible done to me. If I buy an iPhone, I can't expect much sympathy if I go online and complain that it's not running Android OS.

Re: Latin America. Given that Latin America encompasses everything from areas that are basically within a stone's throw of sizable American cities such as San Diego or El Paso all the way to Tierra del Fuego about 5,600 miles further South, I could certainly understand why airlines want to differentiate their services.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 5:27 pm

OP assumed lounge access was included in the price of the ticket.

OP then threatens to never patronize AA for not receiving a perk that was never promised.

OP is quickly educated by Flyertalkers.

OP then disappears.

Whatever happened to any semblance of taking a little responsibility for one's self? Reading the rules of a ticket purchased, dressing appropriately for travel and the vast temperature differences that come along with airplanes, allowing extra time to reach an event and not just taking the flight that arrives 20 minutes before your cruise/wedding/etc is beginning... It flabbergasts me.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 5:29 pm
Suspended

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by theskyguy
op assumed lounge access was included in the price of the ticket.
^

op then threatens to never patronize aa for not receiving a perk that was never promised.
^

op is quickly educated by flyertalkers.

Op then disappears.
^

...whatever happened to any semblance of taking a little responsibility for one's self? Reading the rules of a ticket purchased, dressing appropriately for travel and the vast temperature differences that come along with airplanes, allowing extra time to reach an event and not just taking the flight that arrives 20 minutes before your cruise/wedding/etc is beginning... It flabbergasts me.
^
UAPremierGuy and dickinson like this.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by JonNYC

Uhhhhh, I think that was actually part of the point the poster was making
Sure was. Thanks, as always, JonNYC.
JonNYC likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 6:50 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Don't let it ruin your day, you'll soon be at the Happiest Place on Earth!
Or for parents, the most miserable place in the Universe. Too hot, too crowded, too expensive, turns normaly well behaved children into monsters, ... YMMV

Last edited by Dallas49er; Aug 12, 2017 at 6:59 pm
Old Aug 12, 2017, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA LifeTime PLT (2.982 MM, But 3MM+ Total), HHonors GOLD, IHG AMB
Originally Posted by mdj1
So why does my ticket clearly state first
It wasn't International First via a connection if you had PLT status or higher, or a transcon paid First like JFK-LAX (or a Z class transcon First). If you were a Sapphire member in another oneworld program (like BA) or higher you'd get lounge access. If you bought a day pass (if they still do that), you'd get lounge access. If you were an Admirals Club member, you'd get lounge access.

Oh wait, where are you? Are you still here?
Old Aug 12, 2017, 7:20 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Suspect OP was embarrassed in front of the other 2 members of his/her party when denied/refused/ejected. Great start to the trip. IMHO-this could be the high point.

With over 80 years of business and leisure travel, MrsDallas49er and I still Rx and re-Rx all rules (luggage, lounge, etc.) for our monthly DFW-CDG-CDG flights, plus extra due diligence for less familiar places.

Perhaps this might help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As6y5...?v=As6y5eI01XE

I sincerely wish OP a great time, and hope OP survives.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 9:21 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Exclamation

Moderator note:

Before replying further, please take a moment to review a few FlyerTalk Rules:

http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#welcoming
12.1 Friendly, Respectful and Welcoming

FlyerTalk is a community and is intended to be a friendly, helpful and collegial place.

Please post in a friendly, respectful, welcoming manner. 'Snarky,' unfriendly posts will not be allowed. If you don't have something constructive to contribute to a thread, please do not post.

Unhelpful posts, such as "Do a search" or those that merely comment on the worthiness of others' posts or threads are neither friendly nor welcoming and will not be allowed. If you can't be helpful or contribute substantive content to a thread, please refrain from posting.
http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#gettingpersonal
12.2 Avoid Getting Personal

If you have a difference of opinion with another member, challenge the idea — NOT the person. Getting personal with another member is not allowed. Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming will not be tolerated.

FlyerTalk is a diverse, multi-cultural community. Expressions of prejudice or discrimination in any form are not permitted (such as those concerning race, nationality, religious belief, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, etc).

If another member gets personal with you, do not retaliate. Retaliation may well subject you to the same discipline. Instead, please use the 'Alert a moderator to this thread' button in the lower-left-hand-corner of each post, send a note explaining your concern to the moderator team, and leave it to them to handle. Please also see Rule 22 — When you believe someone has violated the rules.
Some of the posts and behaviour in this thread have been unacceptable; several posts have already been deleted. Please feel free to discuss, educate, challenge, disagree - but name-calling and bullying will NOT be tolerated. Further infractions may need to suspension of membership or posting privileges.

Thanks for your cooperation and understanding. Please help us make FlyerTalk a fun and informative community!

/Moderator

Old Aug 12, 2017, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Just a lowly Blue ;(
<redacted>

So anyway to answer a few questions. I've been enjoying some lounge time since my last post, then flying and driving, shopping, reading my little girl her bedtime story etc etc, so I haven't disappeared, I'm very much still here.

im from the UK. I've done a fair bit of F and CW (BA's Business Class) travel world wide in the past both long and short haul. Including flights on American Airlines albeit as connections or long haul.

For every single one one of those flights I've received lounge access, whether this be flying from one part of the uk to another, around Europe, Melbourne to Sydney, I think you get the jist, every flight I've flown in business or f I've had lounge access.

All these flights were booked on BA.com. Just as this one was. At no point during the booking process was I told that this First booking did not allow me access to a lounge, so yes you could say I should have looked at AA's rules, but let's flip it around and say that AA gave first for every biz or f ticket and you'd booked for years through aa.com

then one day when you were flying from say London to Glasgow on an aa codeshare you had booked on aa.com and you were told, sorry computer says no, you'd be a bit miffed too!

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 13, 2017 at 6:01 pm Reason: Warning issued; Redacted offensive comment violating Rules quoted immediately above
Old Aug 12, 2017, 10:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

then one day when you were flying from say London to Glasgow on an aa codeshare you had booked on aa.com and you were told, sorry computer says no, you'd be a bit miffed too!
And if it happened, it would be against policy - Assuming travel in business class or holding appropriate status, lounge access would be granted As per the rules detailed on OneWorldalliance.com , it is is only "domestic" travel in North America where lounge access is not granted by AA for class of service or status ( with a handful of listed exceptions )

There is a difference between being miffed and ranting about it; if you thought that the agent was incorrect, it is something that would have been easily shown to be correct by checking the oneworld site

Last edited by Dave Noble; Aug 12, 2017 at 11:04 pm
Old Aug 12, 2017, 11:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I have been in a situation like this one or twice, and each time was indeed miffed - at myself, for failing to pay close enough attention.

For a self-proclaimed globe trotter, I find it interesting that you're struggling to cope with something being different in an unfamiliar country.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 11:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Just a lowly Blue ;(
To be honest I think I more peed off at ba, I feel they should have had a duty to tell me it wouldn't be included.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
And if it happened, it would be against policy - Assuming travel in business class or holding appropriate status, lounge access would be granted As per the rules detailed on OneWorldalliance.com , it is is only "domestic" travel in North America where lounge access is not granted by AA for class of service or status ( with a handful of listed exceptions )
So why don't you define "domestic", since you put it in quotes? Because the commonly understood definition is within a country.

Also, it is given for status. As long as you don't have American status.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by TheSkyGuy
Whatever happened to any semblance of taking a little responsibility for one's self? Reading the rules of a ticket purchased, dressing appropriately for travel and the vast temperature differences that come along with airplanes, allowing extra time to reach an event and not just taking the flight that arrives 20 minutes before your cruise/wedding/etc is beginning... It flabbergasts me.

Is this a serious question? Because you know nobody reads the rules anymore. The contract of carriage? The terms and conditions when you install something on your computer or phone? The potential risks of a surgery?

It is the "abnormal" person who reads all those things. At least in the sense "uncommon"
Old Aug 12, 2017, 11:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by s0ssos
So why don't you define "domestic", since you put it in quotes? Because the commonly understood definition is within a country.

Also, it is given for status. As long as you don't have American status.
My use of status was incomplete and indeed should have stated AA status

You can check the precise restrictions on where lounge access is restricted for those in business/1st class and those holding status with AA by checking on the oneworld site.

Originally Posted by https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access
First and Business Class customers who do not hold Emerald or Sapphire tier status are not eligible to access American Airlines lounges when travelling on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico [except Mexico City], the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean; customers travelling in First or Business class on U.S. transcontinental flights between JFK-LAX, JFK-SFO and MIA-LAX (and vice-versa) are eligible for lounge access.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.