Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Possible non-rev and broken seat issue and how to report

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2017, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL

I'm seeking guidance on whether and how to report an issue I experienced yesterday.

I was booked on a 4:30 flight yesterday from JFK-SFO, in F. We spent a little too much time in the Flagship Dining, so didn't leave the lounge until 4:05, and made it to the gate at 4:15.

The gate area was empty and the GA was printing the manifest. She asked for our BPs and told us we weren't checked in for the flight, so we would have to take a later flight.

I protested and said there was no way for us to get BPs without being checked in, which we did the day before online, and again at an outstation when dropping off our bags on our way to JFK. I told her our BPs were scanned at the lounge as well, so we had no indication there was anything amiss with our check-in status.

She asked us to wait at the gate and came back accompanied by 3-4 passengers, at least 2 of whom appeared to be in uniform. She told us to take our seats.

I'm not sure what the timing is on closing the gate - but had the GA told us we were late, we probably would have accepted that and just taken a later flight. My guess is that we were unchecked in to accommodate the non-revs - is this possible?

My seat, 2A, had an inoperative sticker on the seat controls as did 3A. I advised the FA prior to take-off and she said I could use 3F once we were airborne.

As soon as the 10K feet ding sounded, the passenger in 3A approached the galley, had a friendly and chatty discussion with the FA, and came back and took seat 3F.

During meal service, I asked the FA again if I could have a functional seat, as I wanted some rest, and she said she would just have to manually adjust the seat for me. Not ideal, as I would have preferred spending some of the flight in a position other than full upright or full flat.

While I'm not certain, based on appearance, demeanor and the crew type carry on bags, I think the passenger originally in 3A may have been a non-rev. If she was, I think AA should know about this.

I have mixed feelings about making a complaint. If we were late to the gate, I'm appreciative for the GA getting us on the flight.

Ideally, however, it would have been clear to the GA that we were coming, and arrangements for functional seats would have been made prior to boarding and processing gate upgrades and standbys.

I think at a minimum I'm due some miles for the non-operative seat. Any thoughts on how best to communicate this to AA and anything else I should mention?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by work2fly; Aug 7, 2017 at 9:04 am
Old Aug 7, 2017, 9:10 am

Programs: AA EP
You should address the seat issue only. Everything else is irrelevant.

Originally Posted by work2fly
I'm seeking guidance on whether and how to report an issue I experienced yesterday.

I was booked on a 4:30 flight yesterday from JFK-SFO, in F. We spent a little too much time in the Flagship Dining, so didn't leave the lounge until 4:05, and made it to the gate at 4:15.

The gate area was empty and the GA was printing the manifest. She asked for our BPs and told us we weren't checked in for the flight, so we would have to take a later flight.

I protested and said there was no way for us to get BPs without being checked in, which we did the day before online, and again at an outstation when dropping off our bags on our way to JFK. I told her our BPs were scanned at the lounge as well, so we had no indication there was anything amiss with our check-in status.

She asked us to wait at the gate and came back accompanied by 3-4 passengers, at least 2 of whom appeared to be in uniform. She told us to take our seats.

I'm not sure what the timing is on closing the gate - but had the GA told us we were late, we probably would have accepted that and just taken a later flight. My guess is that we were unchecked in to accommodate the non-revs - is this possible?

My seat, 2A, had an inoperative sticker on the seat controls as did 3A. I advised the FA prior to take-off and she said I could use 3F once we were airborne.

As soon as the 10K feet ding sounded, the passenger in 3A approached the galley, had a friendly and chatty discussion with the FA, and came back and took seat 3F.

During meal service, I asked the FA again if I could have a functional seat, as I wanted some rest, and she said she would just have to manually adjust the seat for me. Not ideal, as I would have preferred spending some of the flight in a position other than full upright or full flat.

While I'm not certain, based on appearance, demeanor and the crew type carry on bags, I think the passenger originally in 3A may have been a non-rev. If she was, I think AA should know about this.

I have mixed feelings about making a complaint. If we were late to the gate, I'm appreciative for the GA getting us on the flight.

Ideally, however, it would have been clear to the GA that we were coming, and arrangements for functional seats would have been made prior to boarding and processing gate upgrades and standbys.

I think at a minimum I'm due some miles for the non-operative seat. Any thoughts on how best to communicate this to AA and anything else I should mention?

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 9:20 am
Suspended

...My guess is that we were unchecked in to accommodate the non-revs - is this possible?
Highly, highly unlikely, normally, however:

...I was booked on a 4:30 flight yesterday from JFK-SFO, in F. We spent a little too much time in the Flagship Dining, so didn't leave the lounge until 4:05, and made it to the gate at 4:15.
That's really cutting it close, I don't think you have too much ground to stand on.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC
That's really cutting it close, I don't think you have too much ground to stand on.
Well, if they were actually there at 4:15 then it may be cutting it close, but they were compliant with the conditions of carriage. If it was later than that, then technically AA could have sent the flight off without them. But it's a binary point--either they met the requirement to be there 15 minutes in advance or they didn't; how close to the cutoff doesn't change the fact that a GA can't just boot you off the flight at T-17 or somesuch.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 10:15 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Forget about your departure issues; AA recommends being at the gate 30 minutes prior to departure, and cuts off arriving at the gate to board 15 or 30 minutes prior to scheduled departure. You say 4:15 for a 4:30 flight. 4:15, 4:16 means technically you could be denied. Whose clock, how many seconds - that's entirely too close, IMO.

Conditions of Carriage

"Arrival at Gate
You must be at the gate and ready to board the aircraft:

15 minutes prior to scheduled departure for flights departing from points -within- the U.S., Puerto Rico, and Virgin Islands

30 minutes prior to scheduled departure for flights departing from points -outside- the U.S., Puerto Rico, and Virgin Islands, i.e., Canada, Mexico, Europe, Asia, Central/South America, Caribbean, Bahamas, Bermuda"

For gate arrival, AA states: "Recommended before your flight: 30 minutes

Be at the gate, ready to board. Doors close 10 minutes before departure – once they close you'll be denied boarding."

As to the seat issue, AA is likely to give you some miles in compensation - regardless of whether the passenger in 3A was nonrev or not. See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...t=Compensation

Communicate with AA the usual way. See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-thread.html.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 7, 2017 at 10:21 am
Old Aug 7, 2017, 10:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Good reminder not to show up late. Too many bad things can happen.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 10:23 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
You should address the seat issue only. Everything else is irrelevant.
Agree with this assessment. OP doesn't actually know that any non-revs were involved. Report the seat and see if they provide some token compensation.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 10:29 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
JFK boards the LAX/SFO flights early. There are places where they won't notice if you aren't there 15 minutes before departure. The JFK-LAX/SFO flights aren't one of them.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Thanks for all the replies.

No question we cut it close, and had we been told we were late, we wouldn't have argued about it.

I'll submit a complaint about the seat issue only and post any sort of response in the compensation thread.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 12:30 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JDiver
Forget about your departure issues; AA recommends being at the gate 30 minutes prior to departure, and cuts off arriving at the gate to board 15 or 30 minutes prior to scheduled departure. You say 4:15 for a 4:30 flight. 4:15, 4:16 means technically you could be denied. Whose clock, how many seconds - that's entirely too close, IMO.

Conditions of Carriage

"Arrival at Gate
You must be at the gate and ready to board the aircraft:

15 minutes prior to scheduled departure for flights departing from points -within- the U.S., Puerto Rico, and Virgin Islands

30 minutes prior to scheduled departure for flights departing from points -outside- the U.S., Puerto Rico, and Virgin Islands, i.e., Canada, Mexico, Europe, Asia, Central/South America, Caribbean, Bahamas, Bermuda"

For gate arrival, AA states: "Recommended before your flight: 30 minutes

Be at the gate, ready to board. Doors close 10 minutes before departure – once they close you'll be denied boarding."

As to the seat issue, AA is likely to give you some miles in compensation - regardless of whether the passenger in 3A was nonrev or not. See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...t=Compensation

Communicate with AA the usual way. See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-thread.html.
Lots of potential clocks: (1)wall cocks all over airport, (2)wrist watch of GA, (3)iPhone time, (4)AA computer at GA's desk, my guess is (4) is "official" time for AA.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 4.6 MM, LT Pt, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Smile

Originally Posted by nrr
...wall cocks all over airport...
Old Aug 7, 2017, 12:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by nrr
(1)wall cocks all over airport
Used as sundials?
Old Aug 7, 2017, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Making a complaint about the broken seat is warranted. You should get 10k miles, at a minimum. Probably more.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
And in the future don't be afraid to politely ask the FA if there are any nonrevs onboard. Twice when I've had an inop seat a nonrev was asked to switch with me. Mind you, this solution was not offered to me proactively.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 1:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by justforfun
And in the future don't be afraid to politely ask the FA if there are any nonrevs onboard. Twice when I've had an inop seat a nonrev was asked to switch with me. Mind you, this solution was not offered to me proactively.
Absolutely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.