Wiki Posts
Search

No EQMs on Barclays companion cert?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2017, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
No EQMs on Barclays companion cert?

I cashed my recently received Barclays $99 companion cert for a west coast trip. Good $$$ saver.

Was reading the fine print on ticket embargo dates and other issues when i came across this nugget...

"Unless specified, AAdvantage miles earned through this promotion/offer do not count toward elite-status qualification or AAdvantage Million Miler status."

Don't remember seeing that in the past. Does that apply to the ticket purchaser, the companions, to the dollars spent on the ticket or am I just being totally paranoid?
Old Jul 31, 2017, 8:40 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Your companion won't earn Elite Qualifying anything.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 31, 2017 at 1:57 pm
Old Jul 31, 2017, 9:25 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
My own personal experience this past April...my companion earned EQM's and EQD's.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 11:26 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Not how it worked in the past. But thanks for the heads-up. I haven't used this year's yet...
Old Jul 31, 2017, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by apeortdz
Not how it worked in the past. But thanks for the heads-up. I haven't used this year's yet...
I've used it twice after 8/1/16, including just two weeks ago. Got upgrades, and even better, got distance-based EQM/EQD according to special fares chart - including for my companion. 75% of a transcon rt distance >> RDM based on a $99 base fare!
Old Jul 31, 2017, 2:00 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by JDiver
Your companion won't earn Elite Qualifying anything.
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
My own personal experience this past April...my companion earned EQM's and EQD's.
Originally Posted by apeortdz
Originally Posted by taxicabnumber
I've used it twice after 8/1/16, including just two weeks ago. Got upgrades, and even better, got distance-based EQM/EQD according to special fares chart - including for my companion. 75% of a transcon rt distance >> RDM based on a $99 base fare!
Great! I've edited my post to reflect your experiences, rather than what I was told by AA when I inquired after seeing the T&Cs. (Then again, that's one of the reasons FT is a resource - AA agents can deliver incorrect information.)
Old Jul 31, 2017, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Sounds like a glitch rather than a policy.

I got AA EQMs on a BA flight that I was rebooked on after IB canceled my flight on an award ticket.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 5:47 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
Also in April. Same.

So this is weird. Both self and companion are Exec Plats (not that that necessarily matters).
  • We both got EQMs based on distance.
  • We both got EQDs as -- hang on here -- 20% of 50% of distance. That's right: Under Award miles, it shows half of actual distance, and then the corresponding EQDs are 20% of that. Why not, say, 75% of distance (instead of 10%)?!?
  • Then for RDMs, we both got 1.1x distance, which seems right, since we are both Exec Plats, except that the calculation adds the 50% of regular distance (award miles) to a figure 1.2x that amount as the bonus.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 6:28 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Just printed my Barclays Companion Certificate. Underneath "Terms and Conditions", reads: No upgrades will be allowed on tickets issued using this certificate.

Were you able to upgrade a companion's ticket obtained through the certificate?
Old Jul 31, 2017, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by jcatman
Just printed my Barclays Companion Certificate. Underneath "Terms and Conditions", reads: No upgrades will be allowed on tickets issued using this certificate.

Were you able to upgrade a companion's ticket obtained through the certificate?
Yep, normal complimentary upgrades; a couple in advance, one battlefield upgrade, and a couple that didn't clear (but we were on the waitlist). I haven't tried using SWUs/mileage upgrades on these things though...
​​​​​
Old Jul 31, 2017, 6:42 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Yep, normal complimentary upgrades; a couple in advance, one battlefield upgrade, and a couple that didn't clear (but we were on the waitlist). I haven't tried using SWUs/mileage upgrades on these things though...
​​​​​

Awesome. Going to give it a go. ^
Old Jul 31, 2017, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Mine says the same - no upgrades. And being a PLT I'm not even going to make the attempt of trying it. Especially on a transcon.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 4:57 am

Programs: US Airways, American Airlines, United
My understanding is that the holder of the certificate gets EQM's and EQD's but the two companions (the $99 tickets) get no such credit. Also, if the holder splits the reservation from the two companions then the holder can request an upgrade or get an automatic upgrade depending on status but the companions cannot.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by pkr529
Also, if the holder splits the reservation from the two companions then the holder can request an upgrade or get an automatic upgrade depending on status but the companions cannot.
Also not true in practice. Traveled last year with wife (EXP) and a friend of ours (zero status), was my wife's certificate. We split the PNR after ticketing so that wife and friend were on one PNR and I was on another. We all got upgraded.
​​​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.