Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Time sensitive - merging duplicate accounts, keeping status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2017, 11:21 am
Original Poster

I have 2 AA accounts, I think it has something to do with the US air merger. One account is the one I use regularly. I have gold status for that one. I have a reservation booked on that account for a business class trip to Asia, enough to keep gold for next year. It has about 200,000 FF miles.

I received the "platinum challenge" on the other AA account. It has zero FF miles. It does show platinum and 20 500 mile upgrades which was part of the platinum challenge.

I would obviously like to merge the "gold" account with all its points AND the reservation (good price, great seats) into the other account which is now platinum as a result of the challenge.

I'm leery of doing anything that will screw up the Asia flight reservation or the miles however.

Any thoughts/advice? Trip is next week so "time is of the essence" ...

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by TrinaLC
I have 2 AA accounts, I think it has something to do with the US air merger. One account is the one I use regularly. I have gold status for that one. I have a reservation booked on that account for a business class trip to Asia, enough to keep gold for next year. It has about 200,000 FF miles.

I received the "platinum challenge" on the other AA account. It has zero FF miles. It does show platinum and 20 500 mile upgrades which was part of the platinum challenge.

I would obviously like to merge the "gold" account with all its points AND the reservation (good price, great seats) into the other account which is now platinum as a result of the challenge.

I'm leery of doing anything that will screw up the Asia flight reservation or the miles however.

Any thoughts/advice? Trip is next week so "time is of the essence" ...

Thanks in advance.
Call AAdvantage Customer Service (not the normal reservations number) and take care of it over the phone.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
You already have a BUS class ticket, why should there be any issues with it? Are both accounts with the same # and contact details? I will call AA to merge the account with the PLT one and make it the main one. Change the frequent flyer # for all the already booked flights, including the BUS Asia flight. complete the challenge and enjoy PLT status.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, evidently the customer service number even for plats is only open during regular business hours.

I went ahead and did it online, as I didn't find anyone reporting any issues after some fairly thorough searching ... will call also to get the FF number changed on the resie.

I find it ironic that the account that I regularly use got zilch and one that has been dead for about two years got the very very generous offer.

I would think they might try to nudge a gold into platinum, but no ...

Still, I count myself as very lucky!
Old Jul 23, 2017, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
will call also to get the FF number changed on the resie.
Any reason you can not go back to the reservation online and change it from the passenger details?

I find it ironic that the account that I regularly use got zilch and one that has been dead for about two years got the very very generous offer.
AA thought it is best to give a non active member an offer to get elite status as opposed to a currently active one. It seems to be standard for them. That is how they get new members.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 5:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arollins
AA thought it is best to give a non active member an offer to get elite status as opposed to a currently active one. It seems to be standard for them. That is how they get new members.
Gosh, almost would make sense to open a bunch of accounts and keep them around hoping for such an offer!
Old Jul 24, 2017, 5:50 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Gosh, almost would make sense to open a bunch of accounts and keep them around hoping for such an offer!
Except that most likely violates the terms of the program and AA could ban you for repeatedly doing just that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.