Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Assistance needed booking DTW to MEL in PE

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2017, 8:11 am
Original Poster

My daughter is getting married in Melbourne Australia in March 2018 and since flights opened I've been checking daily sometimes multiple times per day hoping for what I consider a reasonable price for premium economy on pretty much any airline. This year we flew on CX YYZ to MEL in PEY and hoped to add to our Asia miles but the fares are 55% higher this year so that's out. I'm starting to get twitchy to get them booked. It's such a psychological game, this flight booking process. I basically have to get six of us there so price is an issue. Today I'm looking at reservations for four of us (the other two have different travel dates/needs.)

Wedding is March 16. I'm searching with a flexible departure date (ideally March 6, 7 or latest 8th) and coming home 18, 19 or 20 would work. I don't know the tricks some of you use to find routes but using google flights, skyscanner, Expedia and ITA Matrix (though admittedly I don't know how to make use of its full capabilities) basically every day I'm checking for a decent route in PEY either out of DTW (45 mins and 1 international border from my house) or YYZ (3 hour drive). I'm checking also out of YVR or SFO or LAX and then adding a connecting flight from DTW or YYZ.

Today on Google Flights I came across American LAX to MEL in PE and I like the price. The affordable one involves a stop in SYD and transfer to QF. The DTW to LAX leg is in Y which is fine. My issue is I can't find a way to book this all on one ticket on the website. As soon as I change the search to DTW to MEL I lose the PE cabin. I'd also love to add a stopover for a day or two at SYD on the way back but likewise lose the PE option. Or I'm just dense .

Is there a way to book it all on one ticket? Likewise can different credit cards be used on same booking or do we need two separate bookings?

If you read to the bottom of this very long post I'm forever indebted and would appreciate any ideas, suggestions, different routes; basically anything you can offer. TIA
Old Jul 15, 2017, 9:52 am

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by goodml
My daughter is getting married in Melbourne Australia in March 2018 and since flights opened I've been checking daily sometimes multiple times per day hoping for what I consider a reasonable price for premium economy on pretty much any airline. This year we flew on CX YYZ to MEL in PEY and hoped to add to our Asia miles but the fares are 55% higher this year so that's out. I'm starting to get twitchy to get them booked. It's such a psychological game, this flight booking process. I basically have to get six of us there so price is an issue. Today I'm looking at reservations for four of us (the other two have different travel dates/needs.)

Wedding is March 16. I'm searching with a flexible departure date (ideally March 6, 7 or latest 8th) and coming home 18, 19 or 20 would work. I don't know the tricks some of you use to find routes but using google flights, skyscanner, Expedia and ITA Matrix (though admittedly I don't know how to make use of its full capabilities) basically every day I'm checking for a decent route in PEY either out of DTW (45 mins and 1 international border from my house) or YYZ (3 hour drive). I'm checking also out of YVR or SFO or LAX and then adding a connecting flight from DTW or YYZ.

Today on Google Flights I came across American LAX to MEL in PE and I like the price. The affordable one involves a stop in SYD and transfer to QF. The DTW to LAX leg is in Y which is fine. My issue is I can't find a way to book this all on one ticket on the website. As soon as I change the search to DTW to MEL I lose the PE cabin. I'd also love to add a stopover for a day or two at SYD on the way back but likewise lose the PE option. Or I'm just dense .

Is there a way to book it all on one ticket? Likewise can different credit cards be used on same booking or do we need two separate bookings?

If you read to the bottom of this very long post I'm forever indebted and would appreciate any ideas, suggestions, different routes; basically anything you can offer. TIA
From the AA perspective, the only relevant AA-operated flights that will have premium economy are LAX-SYD and LAX-AKL. So that's your routing.

QF (or their flights with AA codeshares) will be SFO-SYD, LAX-SYD, LAX-BNE, LAX-MEL or DFW-SYD.

If you are interested in other airlines/routes too then it probably belongs somewhere more generic than the AA forum.

In terms of getting it all on one record, I'd suggest that you either get a travel agent to do it or call AA. They have a $35 phone reservation fee, but that is a relatively small amount considering the fare, and getting it all on one record is worth it.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Sorry, I should have been clearer. The QF is a code share on the same AA ticket.

Thanks anyway, I think I've got it figured out.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 11:45 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Be aware a tool like ExpertFlyer can help (they offer a free five day trial). Booking this far out risks prices dropping o/a November or so.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 5:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
Be aware a tool like ExpertFlyer can help (they offer a free five day trial). Booking this far out risks prices dropping o/a November or so.
Thank you and I agree it's a risk to book this far out. For me it's more about finding a price I can live with. Having to get 6 people over, paying for accommodations and a wedding and not being crammed in the back of the plane makes it a priority. I actually booked July 2016 for our March 2017 flights with Cathay Pqcific and had a bunch of price alerts set and never saw lower.

FWIW I ended up booking with American. Had to call in to get it booked because the website wouldn't allow me to select premium economy when originating in Detroit. I must say the rep was wonderful. It took her over an hour and she had to get another department involved to get the mixed classes booked because she could get the prices I was seeing when she booked each leg separately but as soon as she combined them they went up by over $700 per person. In the end I paid just under $2100 round trip per ticket Detroit to Melbourne with premium Econ on the 15 hour leg and I'm happy with that.

My only area of confusion now is that they had to book DTW to LAX on a separate ticket from LAX to MEL (same record locator) and the baggage rules are different. I know they'll through check them but I'm curious if they will they charge me for bags for the domestic leg? Bags are included on the international portions.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 7:52 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by goodml
Thank you and I agree it's a risk to book this far out. For me it's more about finding a price I can live with. Having to get 6 people over, paying for accommodations and a wedding and not being crammed in the back of the plane makes it a priority. I actually booked July 2016 for our March 2017 flights with Cathay Pqcific and had a bunch of price alerts set and never saw lower.

FWIW I ended up booking with American. Had to call in to get it booked because the website wouldn't allow me to select premium economy when originating in Detroit. I must say the rep was wonderful. It took her over an hour and she had to get another department involved to get the mixed classes booked because she could get the prices I was seeing when she booked each leg separately but as soon as she combined them they went up by over $700 per person. In the end I paid just under $2100 round trip per ticket Detroit to Melbourne with premium Econ on the 15 hour leg and I'm happy with that.

My only area of confusion now is that they had to book DTW to LAX on a separate ticket from LAX to MEL (same record locator) and the baggage rules are different. I know they'll through check them but I'm curious if they will they charge me for bags for the domestic leg? Bags are included on the international portions.
I'm glad you were able to get help and successfully book your trip to Melbs. 15 hours make Premium Economy sensible and more comfortable than MC.

As to baggage, as it's on one PNR it will be through-checked and the international leg rules should be the rules that apply to the entire trip.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
I'm glad you were able to get help and successfully book your trip to Melbs. 15 hours make Premium Economy sensible and more comfortable than MC.

As to baggage, as it's on one PNR it will be through-checked and the international leg rules should be the rules that apply to the entire trip.
Thanks JDiver.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.