Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stand by list - Need to be there?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2017, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Stand by list - Need to be there?

In my attempt to fly ORD-SGF this past Wednesday (cancellations and delays from heavy storm activity) I was in the vicinity of the G16-G20 gate area a lot. I heard on more than one occasion a gate agent call people for the standby list (the plane isn't boarding yet). The agents, on different podiums and different flights said the same thing, if you're not present they will move on to the next name. As most of us know, at the bottom of the screen it clearly states that if your name has a check mark to go to a kiosk or see agent to get your new boarding pass. Or now, simply refresh your app. So if I'm making my way to the gate and don't answer them, I'm out of luck? I thought the list was cleared in order and could pick up your pass or refresh your app. Am I wrong?
Old Jul 14, 2017, 11:06 am

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
That fine print is so misleading as you point out. I learned this the hard way last fall. I was on the standby list and was #1 and knew i would get on based on the loads. So I just hung out in the admirals club and didn't bother going to the gate until boarding had begun. The agent had already passed me up and cleared many others after me since I was not present at the gate. I asked her why and she said they have to verify your ID before they can issue you thennew boarding pass.

I now make sure I am at the gate early so I can go up when called.

This is a big annoyance of mine as I standby semi-frequently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.