Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LAX - HKG - Who thought of a 1:55am departure time?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2017, 10:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond

I'm headed from DFW to LAX to HKG. Since I arrive at LAX around 10:30pm, I'll have a few hours to kill. However, every single one-world lounge at LAX closes before midnight (well one AC is open till 12:30am). I wonder who the genius is that devised a flight time when not a single lounge would be accessible.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 10:14 pm

The time slots are agreed to by the governing authorities
Old Jul 10, 2017, 10:18 pm

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
What do you mean? T4 AC is open until 2 am.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInform...s/lax-club.jsp
Old Jul 11, 2017, 12:52 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
The AC lounge's closing time basically coincides with this flight. With a current 2am closing time, it's a 22 hours a day club, probably the closest to 24 hours a day.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 3:26 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
The AC stays open for the flight, and another thing is they board well ahead of time (50-60 minutes prior).
Old Jul 11, 2017, 4:27 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by krazieman
I'm headed from DFW to LAX to HKG. Since I arrive at LAX around 10:30pm, I'll have a few hours to kill. However, every single one-world lounge at LAX closes before midnight (well one AC is open till 12:30am). I wonder who the genius is that devised a flight time when not a single lounge would be accessible.
Aside from the HKG landing slot assignment challenges, it allows for multiple connections to make this outbound flight with some buffer. But I do understand the question

As for the lounge access, the QF F Lounge (if you are OWE/AA EXP) starts nudging people out around midnight, and then one can wander to the temp AA F Lounge to wait to board. It will be open, just as the AC, until the final boarding call.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 6:50 am

I wonder who the genius is that devised a flight time when not a single lounge would be accessible.
The genius who wants has business in HK the next morning
Old Jul 11, 2017, 7:26 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
As for the lounge access, the QF F Lounge (if you are OWE/AA EXP) starts nudging people out around midnight, and then one can wander to the temp AA F Lounge to wait to board. It will be open, just as the AC, until the final boarding call.
And this lounge stays open later when a QF flight is delayed, which IME happens fairly often (fortunately for me when waiting for the AA flight).
Old Jul 11, 2017, 7:41 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The flight arrives HKG at 8:10 am, in good time for a business day at Hong Kong or to make the mid-morning tranche of ongoing flights, much as the CX flight departing SFO at 12:55 am. AA offers lounge access for LAX to HKG passengers flight.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 8:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
It's a great flight time. Get on board. Go to sleep, fly, wake up ready to go. Hit the city or hit the CX connection.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Pax have a full day to work in LA, or even make a connection, and then be in HKG early morning for a shot at a productive day, business or tourism, if desired.

Our late departure/7am arrival in Sydney last year worked much, much better than my 3am Mumbai arrivals ever have (despite great lounges at JFK and DXB)

Planning around business hours rather than lounges (which, as noted, are actually open anyway) seem to make sense to me.

So I guess geniuses like me and others who think of the entire customer base.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 8:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Airports like DXB are at their busiest at about midnight to 2am!
Old Jul 11, 2017, 8:38 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
I love these midnight departure times to HKG. When I want to go see my girlfriend, it's work full day in LA, head to the airport from the office, eat dinner in the lounges, shower and freshen up, and then get onboard. Land in HK and after immigration, be greeted by her in the arrivals area, a quick pit stop in one of the arrivals lounges to shower, and then time to hit the city with her.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 8:44 am

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Late night flights from the US to Asia are the most civilized way to cross the Pacific. I've come to despise daytime TPAC departures nowadays.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 9:04 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold
I always did the DFW-HKG but hated how you got in at night and the day was shot in HKG. When the LAX-HKG flights started, I gave it a try and I'm hooked now. Full day of work here. Take the evening flight from JFK, spend a few hours at the club, get on and sleep (the FA's usually have no problem holding your meals in J and F so you can sleep and eat later). Wake up refreshed and with a whole day in HKG^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.