Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Ticket Refund and Related (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2017, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA Ticket Refunds and Policies
As of 1 Apr 2016, 24 hour free cancellation, except bookings purchased within seven days of travel, is standard. Tickets purchased within seven days of travel are exempt from 24 hour cancellation policies, per USDOT.

NOTE: Hold can be used when offered. (As of 3 Nov 2016, AA randomly offers free 24 hour hold to those booking travel over seven days out, and some still report being offered up to 7 days hold for $15.99.)

Current refunds policy:

"You have 24 hours to cancel your trip for a full refund if you booked at least 7 days prior to departure. Link to AA Refunds FAQ."
Getting a reservation refunded is a two-step process. First cancel the reservation on aa.com or by calling Reservations, then second request the refund at http://prefunds.aa.com.

For bookings made online, AA may continue to sometimes offer hold for unspecified interim going forward, but 24 hours hold via telephone booking may no longer be granted by agents (though occasional ones might anyway).
update July 2016

AA follows USDOT requirements to the letter:● 24 hour cancellation with refund and no penalty, though

● No free 24-hour cancellations for purchases made within seven days of flying
(except on refundable fares)

● 24 hour hold will be offered for some random (at least to passengers) online bookings for some tickets for an undetermined interim period of time

● Extended hold for pay will still be offered online on many bookings (not within seven days)

● The five day holds for awards remains unaffected, but be aware all awards by non-elites also incur a $75 close in processing fee for 21 days or fewer from booking to flying.

● Awards that are cancelled incur a $150 redeposit fee (and $25 per other awards from the same account), except for Concierge Key and Executive Platinum members.
Fully refundable tickets that are cancelled: fare, fees and taxes will be returned to the original form of payment (FOP).

Nonrefundable tickets that are cancelled voluntarily: AA will generally issue a voucher for the fare, taxes and fees less the change fee described in the detailed fare rules. The voucher may be used for AA flights and other limited purposes. See Transportation Voucher / vouchers / "MCO" FAQ and master thread.

Full refunds, even for nonrefundable tickets, may often be made for the full fare, fees and taxes:

"We do not refund nonrefundable American Airlines tickets except when the ticket is cancelled within 24 hours of purchase, when we make a schedule change that results in a change of 61 minutes or more, upon the death of a passenger or passenger's travelling companion or because of military orders. Supporting documentation is required."

Some equipment changes, such as purchasing international First and being changed to a flight without First class, or a domestic F or Business seat is eliminated by substituting a single class Economy cabin, may also allow a full refund.

Don't forget to look at other venues for tickets, such as OTAs, if purchasing within the 7 day window and you would like some hedging protection. Expedia offers 24 hour cancellation on AA itineraries within the 7 day window and many AA itineraries can be held via Expedia Trip Lock (which charges a small fee to hold a fare for 48 hours).

Print Wikipost

AA Ticket Refund and Related (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2023, 7:12 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Hello All,

I am hoping I am posting in the correct place. Please move me if not:

I thought Flight Credits with AA were no more? This morning I canceled the following:
  • A one-way award - miles returned within 5 minutes.
  • A one-way paid - TRIP credit issued within 5 minutes for proper amount.
  • A RT paid with probably a previous credit and topped off with cash - FLIGHT credit issued - no details. When I go to AA.com and follow the prompts including entering last name and ticket number, it says there is a credit but offers no details. It just says we have issued you a flight credit.
Am I just impatient and it will take a while to push through AA's IT? Is it an error in the system that a flight credit was issued vs trip credit? Is it due to me using "two" forms of payment for the RT ticket? Other thoughts? Thanks!
Old Sep 30, 2023, 5:30 am

Anyone know how to find the ticket number for a canceled reservation?

I had booked a one way flight on Qatar using AA miles. I canceled it more than a month ago. I got the miles back into my account within a day or two. But I still haven't received the refund for the taxes I paid (around 60USD). Called AA customer service in India couple of times before, I was told to wait a couple more weeks. Called the CS again today, the guy asked me for the 13-14 digit ticket number to look up the reservation/refund details. I have the booking confirmation email from AA, it has the record locator but no ticket number. Tried to look up the trip on AA.com and the app, no luck. It just says the booking has been canceled. Will the CS in US be able to help?
Old Sep 30, 2023, 6:28 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kuMAAr
Check your credit card statement. Most if not all will have the ticket number in the transaction details.
Old Sep 30, 2023, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
Check your credit card statement. Most if not all will have the ticket number in the transaction details.
It's not in the CC statement. It just says American Airlines.
Old Sep 30, 2023, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had booked a one way flight on Qatar using AA miles. I canceled it more than a month ago. I got the miles back into my account within a day or two. But I still haven't received the refund for the taxes I paid (around 60USD). Called AA customer service in India couple of times before, I was told to wait a couple more weeks. Called the CS again today, the guy asked me for the 13-14 digit ticket number to look up the reservation/refund details. I have the booking confirmation email from AA, it has the record locator but no ticket number. Tried to look up the trip on AA.com and the app, no luck. It just says the booking has been canceled. Will the CS in US be able to help?
The confirmation email should have a ticket number in it. Are you sure it's not there? It should be underneath the itinerary, with the payment details (under the heading "Your purchase"). It should say "new ticket" and then the ticket number in parentheses. If you still can't find it search the email for "001".
Old Sep 30, 2023, 10:59 pm

I don't receive the automated confirmation email from AA, maybe that email will have the ticket number...?

Since I am in India, I cannot redeem my miles and pay for the tickets online. I have to call the CS to book, it's a manual process. And for whatever reason they don't send confirmation email. I usually go to the trip details page and click on the 'Email Trip' link to send an email to myself. And this email doesn't have the ticket number. These are the 4 pieces of information it has - AA Record Locator, Status, Your Itinerary, Traveler Information.
Old Oct 1, 2023, 1:48 am

I have a AA flight LAX-LAX and the fight has been cancelt. Then they automatically rebooked on a 2,5 h later flight. I phoned them to ask for a refund but they denied cause of schedule change less then 4 h. In this case the flight number and the equipment changed totally. So normally as of DOT rules in case of cancellation I should be able to request a refund. Any suggestions to get that done? do I have to escalate via DOT?
Old Oct 2, 2023, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't receive the automated confirmation email from AA, maybe that email will have the ticket number...?

Since I am in India, I cannot redeem my miles and pay for the tickets online. I have to call the CS to book, it's a manual process. And for whatever reason they don't send confirmation email. I usually go to the trip details page and click on the 'Email Trip' link to send an email to myself. And this email doesn't have the ticket number. These are the 4 pieces of information it has - AA Record Locator, Status, Your Itinerary, Traveler Information.
They should send a confirmation email when you book over the phone but you have to give them your email address (usually they ask for it).

That and your CC statement are the only two ways that I know to get the ticket number. An agent should be able to look it up though.

The ticket number will show up in your AA activity after you fly, but of course this doesn't help if you cancelled. It does not show up in the booking or cancellation transactions unfortunately.

For the future, you should ask for the ticket number when you book over the phone, and write it down.
Old Dec 12, 2023, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Unhappy AA refund seems low

My November 16 SCL-MIA-DFW business class booking cost $3400. The flight was delayed 4+ hours so AA wanted to rebook me out of MIA to Austin and then on to DFW. I would have missed important events with this much delay so I called and asked to be rebooked on the direct SCL-DFW flight. The agent said this would be no problem but only coach was available. She said I would need to contact customer relations upon return and they would start the refund process for the fare difference. I did not ask the coach fare - my mistake.

The refund was $500, which means the coach fare was $2900. That doesn't seem reasonable since that fare is typically about $1400-1600. Further, I received 14311 loyalty points for the flight, suggesting a fare of $1302 (14311/11). So, two questions:

1) Do I have any recourse on them charging me what I would guess is the "walk up" fare for the flight home?
2) Do I have any recourse for not getting the 11X loyalty point multiplier?

If either answer is yes, whom do I contact? Customer relations?

Thanks for any help!
Old Dec 12, 2023, 4:33 pm

AA uses some funny formula to come up a fare difference between XX and Y. The customer never comes out ahead. $500 sounds about right for what I have seen — especially if u got J on the SCL MIA flight.

good luck contesting it — best to file a DOT complaint asking for the calculation that AA won’t give u.

wit
Originally Posted by FrogProf
My November 16 SCL-MIA-DFW business class booking cost $3400. The flight was delayed 4+ hours so AA wanted to rebook me out of MIA to Austin and then on to DFW. I would have missed important events with this much delay so I called and asked to be rebooked on the direct SCL-DFW flight. The agent said this would be no problem but only coach was available. She said I would need to contact customer relations upon return and they would start the refund process for the fare difference. I did not ask the coach fare - my mistake.

The refund was $500, which means the coach fare was $2900. That doesn't seem reasonable since that fare is typically about $1400-1600. Further, I received 14311 loyalty points for the flight, suggesting a fare of $1302 (14311/11). So, two questions:

1) Do I have any recourse on them charging me what I would guess is the "walk up" fare for the flight home?
2) Do I have any recourse for not getting the 11X loyalty point multiplier?

If either answer is yes, whom do I contact? Customer relations?

Thanks for any help!
Old Dec 12, 2023, 5:50 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Do you know the price difference on the day you booked your flight?
Old Dec 12, 2023, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
$3,400 RT? Were you booked in J in the other direction and did you remain there? If so your $500 refund is for one direction, which if you assume the same fare difference in both directions, puts the round trip Coach fare closer to $2,400, not $2,900.

Unless you have record of the prices the day you booked the flight, it'll be hard to prove much.
Old Dec 12, 2023, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by 777lover
especially if u got J on the SCL MIA flight.
The way I read the OP, they never flew SCL-MIA, and took SCL-DFW instead. This raises the question: "Why didn't you book the direct SCL-DFW direct flight to begin with, instead of SCL-MIA-DFW?" If the answer to that question is "because it was cheaper" then that might be part of the issue: it would not be unheard of for the direct flight to be more expensive than connecting service on the same route, due to increased convenience of the direct flight. If that's the case, then the fare difference might be between J on a connecting fare vs Y on a direct fare.
Old Dec 12, 2023, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott LT Plat | Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Steve M
The way I read the OP, they never flew SCL-MIA, and took SCL-DFW instead. This raises the question: "Why didn't you book the direct SCL-DFW direct flight to begin with, instead of SCL-MIA-DFW?" If the answer to that question is "because it was cheaper" then that might be part of the issue: it would not be unheard of for the direct flight to be more expensive than connecting service on the same route, due to increased convenience of the direct flight. If that's the case, then the fare difference might be between J on a connecting fare vs Y on a direct fare.
The likelihood of SCL-DFW in Y being 500 dollars less than SCL-MIA-DFW in J, while possible, is statistically close to zero on the day that the OP booked.

AA is well know for using walk up, full fare Y as their comparison, in which case both routes are probably close, but like the previous statement, the number of people booking walk up, full fare Y is statistically close to zero.
Old Dec 12, 2023, 8:03 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
They don’t figure it in your favor, using historical fairs at the time of booking. I have no idea how you negotiate with them to get this right.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.