Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Using AA miles out of EZE/SCL back to US. Trying to price one award for 40th Bday

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using AA miles out of EZE/SCL back to US. Trying to price one award for 40th Bday

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2017, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

Trying to plan a special 40th for my best friend this year. We are going to try and do the Salkantay Trek to Macchu Pichu and then pop over to Buenos Aires to see some friends before returning. First shot is to use AA miles.

We are trying to leave late August (like Wednesday the 23rd or around then) and returning on or around Labor Day (or a day or two before or after).

We live in STL and I see some space to LIM from DFW and MIA. Some in T and some in U. Still not quite sure what class we will decide on unless there are no options.

After Machu Pichu I see space to go from LIM to EZE (Buenos Aires).

The small challenge I am having is getting home from EZE. Looks like MIA, DFW, and JFK are routes that don't have alot/any award space during that Sept 4th week.

However, if I use Santiago Chile as my departure city back to the US like MIA, DFW, or JFK...some award space opens up.

I know when an award flight opens to say JFK to HKG on Cathay, AA books that route for me first and then we look for an award flight from STL to JFK and the pricing of both flights are one award.

Does the same policy apply to an award leg from Santiago to say DFW since thats the longer leg from SA2 to US. Then I look for award space for the 1st leg of EZE to SCL. And then add the last leg of DFW to STL.

Shouldn't this be all be priced as one award for all 3 flights. And then depending on class, AA should charge 30k in economy or 57,500 in business from SA2 to US.

If anyone has experience here, that would be a huge help. I would love to get a better grasp before I get on with an agent with actually flights I want to book.

And any other tips or tricks you want to share, I'm all ears. If U class was possible, any opinion on who today in 2017 has the best business class experience to say US to LIM or returning out of EZE/SCL to US. We have only flown U class a couple times and Qatar and Cathay have left a nice impression.

Appreciate it.
jp

Ps. We don't have Delta points, but do have some UAL or Chase UR points if anyone feels there is a much better/easier way. Thanks again.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jpersonette11
Does the same policy apply to an award leg from Santiago to say DFW since thats the longer leg from SA2 to US.
With the 'longer leg' remark you seem to be worried about open jaw rules - into EZE, out of SCL - and whether than would price as a round-trip. All AA awards are one-way -- no open jaw rules apply.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 6:53 pm

Programs: AA : EXP / AR : ORO
BUE/USA is usually a bit tough to get.
BUE/SCL is also hard to come by, specially since only Latam does the route (you may try EZE or AEP, both serviced by LA).
If you find availability SCL/USA, my suggestion is to go get it.
For the BUE/SCL leg, buy a return ticket on LA (dispose of the SCL/BUE leg). Usually those come in rather cheap if purchased ahead of time.
As for the airline of choice, out of EZE LA only offers 1 daily to MIA (B767), while AA offers 2 daily to MIA (1 B77W / 1 B772 CIP), 1 daily to DFW (B772 CIP - higher chances for award availability) and 1 daily to JFK (B772 CIP).
AA and LA offer several services out of SCL to MIA, JFK, DFW and LAX, some non-stop, some connecting through LIM.
There's also the chance to do GRU (several daily from BUE on JJ and others), but I'm not sure if travelling with an American passport may make it a bit more difficult.
Best of lucks with your search.
Turning 40 myself in November and still trying to decide where to go..
Old Jun 25, 2017, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to both 3Cforme and pdcarg77. I really meant that.

I actually spent some time on this this morning to try and finalize all routes to hopefully call and reserve tomorrow. So this is what I have right now. If you guys can take a look and see if you think I am missing anything or have any other thoughts, that would be awesome. I am waiting on the trekking company in Peru to confirm availability
for a specific date before I call AA and put flights on hold.

DEPARTURE
For now, there is T class on AA metal from DFW to LIM. I'll add a flight from STL to DFW to make it one award for 20,000 miles. Since the departure city/destination aren't changing, if U class opens up, I will call AA and make the switch. Once in LIM, since we are headed directly to CUZ, I actually think I can add a LAN flight to CUZ that leaves that morning.

So the plan is STL - DFW - DFW - LIM - CUZ. Should be one award, 20k each. Correct?

If I can't add the LIM - CUZ on the same award, I will purchase an $80 Avianca flight from LIM to CUZ, and then after Machu Piccu, I'll but that same flight from CUZ back to LIM.

LIMA TO BUENOS AIRES:
From Lima to Buenos Aires, there is only U class available on LAN Peru to EZE in Buenos Aires. This award should price at 25,000 miles.

She and I will then visit some friends and exploring Buenos Aires for a 4 days.

RETURN FLIGHT BACK TO THE US:
I don't have a flight from EZE back to the US that works, but I mentioned there is a flight from SCL to DFW in U class on AA 787. There is also a LAN flight from EZE to SCL that works in T. So I would use this LAN flight as my first leg and and do a voluntary downgrade in T. Then in SCL switch to U on an AA 787 flight from SCL to DFW. I then found award space for a flight from DFW back to STL in U which is only a couple hours after we get to DFW.

SUMMARY:
So unless you guys see something way off or wrong, I think this is the best I may get for now under AA miles and our timing.

For our flight from STL to DFW, there is only 59 minutes before the AA flight from DFW to LIM leaves, but it seems that 40 minutes should be the minimum allowed for an agent to book an award. Plus we have carry on luggage and will pray to the airplane gods that the flight arrives on time or early.

For my return flight of EZE - SCL - DFW - STL ....my question before was this should be ticketed as one award flight at 57,500 miles. Correct?

So 20,000 miles for STL - DFW - LIM - CUZ in T. If U opens up I will call and switch.

A $80 flight bought from CUZ to LIM on Avianca

Then 25,000 miles for LIM to EZE in U on LAN.

So basically 102,500 miles for each of us, and probably $225 out of pocket for taxes on each flight including the $85 Avianca flight from CUZ to LIM.

What do you guys think?

After this is all booked, then I will focus on where to stay for our 3 nights in CUZ and 4 nights in Buenos Aires.

Hopefully this will be a trip she can remember for the next 40 years of her life!!!

PDcarg77, you have any ideas what you are thinking for your birthday? Plan to celebrate in November or the end of the year?
Old Jun 26, 2017, 7:26 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
7 premium seats available on Sept 5th right now with EZE-MIA-DFW connections (even with 3 different variations and times)

Note EZE-MIA is on LAN..
Old Jun 26, 2017, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Thanks teemuflyer. Ill take a look now. Just got word that the dates will work for the trekking company too. So this looks like its gonna happen. Hahahaha Thanks again

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.