Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Understanding Fare for Connecting Ticket w/ Diff Cabins

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2017, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Marriott LT

I know if I looked at the fare basis before purchase, I would know what I purchased but I didn't. I have a one-way ticket with two connecting flights.

Flight #1 : Short CRJ hop Fare: V
Flight #2 : Long transcon booked in biz Fare: I

I'm likely running into IRROPS for these flights later today. What will the agent rebook me in? Coach or biz? How do agents address split fare tickets like this one? Will they count the fare class on the longer leg?
Old Jun 16, 2017, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA EP
Depends what alternate flights are available. If keeping the same routing then all should be fine. If selecting a different routing then they will prob do it in a J type inventory. Am guessing u have that V fare as the CRJ doesn't offer I inventiry.

Originally Posted by palmetto86
I know if I looked at the fare basis before purchase, I would know what I purchased but I didn't. I have a one-way ticket with two connecting flights.

Flight #1 : Short CRJ hop Fare: V
Flight #2 : Long transcon booked in biz Fare: I

I'm likely running into IRROPS for these flights later today. What will the agent rebook me in? Coach or biz? How do agents address split fare tickets like this one? Will they count the fare class on the longer leg?
Old Jun 16, 2017, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Marriott LT
Following up: I was just rebooked through CLT. Both planes I'm on have a first class cabin. I'm booked in it on both flights.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good to hear - it was likely a V/UP type fare that booked in I where I (and V) were available and V where I was not (the CRJ).

AA should re-book you in any available first/business class inventory in IRROPS. The main issues arise when there isn't any FC available unless you want to wait and you take the "voluntary" downgrade to coach, AA's refund mechanism kind of sucks, which is why it's important to screen shot the flight search result page showing the coach and biz fare side by side at the time of purchase in case you need documentation for AA, the DOT, or small claims court if it gets to that point. (That said it's also not difficult to calculate the difference on these /UP fares with Expertflyer) if you have three original fare basis code.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.