Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Can't book AA flights through Google Flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2017, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

I was priced a very decent fare from SAN-YVR, and when I'm about to book it through the google flight link, it simply takes me to AA homepage, I have to re-enter my search criteria and the price triples! I've tried multiple dates, same result. What happened to the good ole link where you can just go directly to payment on AA.com?

Here is an example:
https://goo.gl/flights/RHLP
Old Jun 15, 2017, 1:24 pm

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
I don't have an explanation, but I've noticed similar behavior when I'm trying to force "abnormally" long layover.

Your flight has the same issue - it is a >9 hr connection. If you choose the 49 min connection; or the 3 hr 39 min connection, then it does properly link to AA.com. However, the 6'29" and 9'21" both say "Check price". Furthermore, those flights do not defaultly show up on an AA search.

BTW, I had to break it up into a multi-city itinerary with choose by schedule and selected the individual legs to purchase flights like this. It will show the correct price.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Yes, as flightrisk said, do it as multi city search on Google flights. No problem, price out as $100.20 and can purchase via AA.com.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 1:57 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Yes, as flightrisk said, do it as multi city search on Google flights. No problem, price out as $100.20 and can purchase via AA.com.
And here is the link for that:
https://goo.gl/flights/DJO6
Old Jun 15, 2017, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Originally Posted by aztimm
And here is the link for that:
https://goo.gl/flights/DJO6
AA.com doesn't let you book that. If you hit continue, it spits back saying choose a different flight or fare. New minimum is $180.

I bat about 20% on AA allowing me multi-city booking referrals from GF.
rj123456 likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BThumme
AA.com doesn't let you book that. If you hit continue, it spits back saying choose a different flight or fare. New minimum is $180.

I bat about 20% on AA allowing me multi-city booking referrals from GF.
Yup I am getting about the same, in July it jumps to $400 rish, Aug jumps to $200 ish, Oct still surges up.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 4:40 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
I have a lot of difficulty booking those types of itinerary -- can generate them via multi-city on aa.com, but the website often errors out and says fare no longer available.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Try using Hipmunk. It got me to the AA payment page when I encountered the same problem last week.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 10:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aacar
Try using Hipmunk. It got me to the AA payment page when I encountered the same problem last week.
Unfortunately hipmunk errors out. I also tried priceline and expedia, both with the same error.

I was even able to find the fare through AA multi city search, errors out after I choose to price it.

Very strange, it's not the first time AA does something like this on the LAX-YVR route.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rinipiyan
Unfortunately hipmunk errors out. I also tried priceline and expedia, both with the same error.

I was even able to find the fare through AA multi city search, errors out after I choose to price it.

Very strange, it's not the first time AA does something like this on the LAX-YVR route.
This is a well known and documented issue. What's worse is that OTAs and AA have a fare construction for them but often times there are no seats in the respective fare classes to book through.

A year ago I knew that if I found a good price via searching multi-city I could find a site (vayama.com, cheapair.com, justfly.com) that could actually force it through and ticket. Now I'm having a very, very hard to find a site that can actually ticket a res at the price shown.

AA's site is abysmal with this stuff. At least if you do a multi-city search with GF and see a fare for Delta or United, those re-direct properly and you can actually complete the purchase on those airlines' sites. AA is a whole separate beast...
Old Jun 16, 2017, 10:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by weirdlyndon
This is a well known and documented issue. What's worse is that OTAs and AA have a fare construction for them but often times there are no seats in the respective fare classes to book through.

A year ago I knew that if I found a good price via searching multi-city I could find a site (vayama.com, cheapair.com, justfly.com) that could actually force it through and ticket. Now I'm having a very, very hard to find a site that can actually ticket a res at the price shown.

AA's site is abysmal with this stuff. At least if you do a multi-city search with GF and see a fare for Delta or United, those re-direct properly and you can actually complete the purchase on those airlines' sites. AA is a whole separate beast...
Yeah to build off this, even if you multi-city search it on AA, AA will spit back the lower prices (often like 5-10 similar routings/times), and they all will error out. It's completely broken.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 10:46 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
It's more of a married segment availability issue. Google flights shows those 4+ hour connection with a lower price than on AA.com.

e.g. SAN-LAX-YVR
If you break it into two segments:
SAN-LAX ...N9
LAX-YVR ...N9 (after 4+ hour connection)

But if you do it as one segment:
SAN-LAX-YVR ...V9 N0 etc.

Since Google flights mostly use married segment availability for up to 4 hours connection (which is the norm for most US/Canada flights), AA allows connection up to 18 hours to/from Canada. Hence it will error out if you have a 4'01" connection because Google assume both segments are available in N but it's not when you click onto Google (you can't go around this and use OTA as well).

IME, if you force an overnight connection AND if your connection is between 12-18 hours, it will give you the 2 segment availability that you want otherwise it'll revert back to the married segment.

Hope this helps!

PS: Same goes for QR flights as well but you can't do anything except rely on married segment for anything less than 24 hours. You could have a 23'59" connection at DOH but it'll still be married segment.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Is four hours the max connection aa.com will permit for married segments?
Old Apr 20, 2018, 7:20 pm

Programs: AAdvantage 2MM+ Lifetime PLT; BA, CO, UA, US; SPG; HHonors Gold
I have this issue on non stop flights (so no married segments, no layovers etc). GF shows identical prices for BA and AA (LHR-SJC; SJC-LHR premium economy) whether tried as RT or multicity. However when I try to book this on aa.com it fails over to the home page and then pulls up a higher fare. I can book this on BA but I wanted to burn some AA gift certificates GRRR
Old Apr 20, 2018, 7:31 pm

Sometimes, calling into AA, and reading out the specific ite works.
Sometimes.
I haven't been able to get a clear reading in a pattern tho...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.