Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Searching for DCA-LAX does not list any JFK connections...? (Multicity - to merge)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Searching for DCA-LAX does not list any JFK connections...? (Multicity - to merge)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2017, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles

I'm trying to look for a DCA-LAX flight that has a specific connection in JFK. I love how on DL, you can filter the connecting hub, but AA.com doesn't have that capacity... and does not even show JFK at all as a connecting option?

The only way, it seems, is to do a multi-city search, which is a pain to use and hopelessly old-fashioned, or to call (and incur a booking fee).

I tried different dates to no avail.

Is JFK a valid connecting city between DCA and LAX (and for that matter, SFO)? I believe it should, because it used to show JFK as a connecting point a while ago, from what I can remember.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 11:55 am

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
I've had luck sometimes using google flights to search for routing that I wanted. Maybe give that a try?
Old Jun 14, 2017, 11:59 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
I gave up on AA.com multicity search. Recently I tried to book JFK-HND-BKK-JFK routing and AA.com multicity search will not show HND-BKK non-stop JL flights and show connections only, some choices were HND-SFO-HKG-BKK ?????

I used Google Flights and purchased via AA.com.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
I'm trying to look for a DCA-LAX flight that has a specific connection in JFK. I love how on DL, you can filter the connecting hub, but AA.com doesn't have that capacity... and does not even show JFK at all as a connecting option?

The only way, it seems, is to do a multi-city search, which is a pain to use and hopelessly old-fashioned, or to call (and incur a booking fee).

I tried different dates to no avail.

Is JFK a valid connecting city between DCA and LAX (and for that matter, SFO)? I believe it should, because it used to show JFK as a connecting point a while ago, from what I can remember.
It is, although the 321T flights are at a premium, so I guess sometimes they don't get displayed.

I use google flights (even there I sometimes need to specify DCA-->JFK-->LAX/SFO to force it to look for the transcon. The vast majority of flight are thru PHL or CLT.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Google Flights is a good solution...for people who know that it exists.

But, I think this is a terrible oversight by AA. They're losing premium customer revenue. Let's say Customer A wants a DCA-SFO flight, with a connection in JFK in paid F/J, specifically for the lounge access and upgraded transcontinental service. They search, no DCA-SFO flights with a connection in JFK, so (if they don't know about Google Flights, or don't want to bother using them or calling) move on to DL, which is incredibly easy to find JFK connections, and book premium travel on DL.

Then, there's Customer B, who doesn't find any DCA-LAX flights with JFK and paid F options, call, and are angered to discover there's a $25 call booking fee, and move their business elsewhere.

I just don't understand why AA doesn't offer the option to connect in JFK when doing a search on their website. Simply searching for DCA-LAX shows the nonstops, then connections in PHL, CLT, ORD, DFW, and PHX. Nothing in JFK. Is JFK not a valid connecting point? Or is it because of the complexity of 3-class F and the other options only consisting of 2-class F that makes AA not show JFK as an option?

Edit: I tried a search way later, in October, in case it was just a matter of availability this summer, but still no JFK option then.

Last edited by MrAndy1369; Jun 14, 2017 at 12:28 pm
Old Jun 14, 2017, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
OP - My speculation is

1. Its is a site issue. The search on AA.com is generally terrible.
2. Its a price issue. The Tcon is designed for O&D traffic. While there may be a few who specifically choose it or know enough to choose it for a connection (like us FTers), the majority book on price. The cheapest options, even in F, are usually thru their mega hubs as there is more capacity. As AA wants to be competing on price with DL and UA and B6, this is what they show.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Antarius
As AA wants to be competing on price with DL and UA and B6, this is what they show.
Well, DL shows connecting options in JFK, in addition to their other hubs, when doing a DCA-LAX/SFO search, so this is not competitive by AA, IMHO.

Also, just to clarify – this is not a multicity thread. I'm focusing specifically on connecting, with a desired connection through JFK.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369

Also, just to clarify – this is not a multicity thread. I'm focusing specifically on connecting, with a desired connection through JFK.
So, check the routing rules for the highest fare you're willing to pay.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 3:56 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Checking expertflyer for DCA-LAX, I do not believe there is a single fare that allows for a single connection that is JFK. You would have to break the fare (via multicity) to make it happen.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 4:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
Checking expertflyer for DCA-LAX, I do not believe there is a single fare that allows for a single connection that is JFK. You would have to break the fare (via multicity) to make it happen.
While JFK seems like a logical connection, looks like AA may be trying to minimize connections through there.

DL might perceive that they have less demand on the LAX-JFK route and allow connections.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 4:30 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
Checking expertflyer for DCA-LAX, I do not believe there is a single fare that allows for a single connection that is JFK.
I see NYC as a valid connection in EF.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 5:00 pm
Suspended

Travel

Agent
Old Jun 14, 2017, 5:32 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by aaupgrade
I see NYC as a valid connection in EF.
I probably read it wrong, but I don't see NYC as a single connection between DCA and LAX as allowed, as I mentioned. Seems to allow NYC-CHI/DFW-LAX though which would be a double connection from DCA.

Maybe there are coach fares? I only searched premium.

ETA - Hmm, I guess by my own logic it wouldn't allow a single connection via CLT which I've definitely seen sold before. My bad, perhaps they just don't want to sell it via AA.com through JFK.

Last edited by iadisgreat; Jun 14, 2017 at 5:43 pm
Old Jun 14, 2017, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I have noticed the same for the BOS-LAX/SFO routes. Seems like AA prefers to keep the ex-JFK transcons largely for O&D and international connections that are not possible through any other hub (e.g. SFO-JFK-ZRH), and funnel all other domestic/international connections through ORD, CLT, and the like.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA Plat
pretty sure there was another thread on this a while ago - indeed no more domestic connections to transcon's through JFK unless "forced" (i.e. two tickets)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.