Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Book Partial Trip as Saaver, or Book Entire Trip as Anytime?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2017, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG

I'm trying to reserve an award Economy MileSaaver seat from Europe to Austin, and not sure which is the better option. This is for travel in August.

The European city doesn't matter...let's say CDG...and let's say the routing is CDG-ORD-AUS.

Let's say I find availability in Saaver from CDG to ORD, but none from ORD to AUS. There are several flights ORD to AUS every day, so ExpertFlyer may find a Saaver seat in the next couple of months.

Should I:
a) Go ahead and reserve only the CDG to ORD segment as Saaver, and later (when a Saaver seat becomes available) phone in to add ORD to AUS at no extra cost in points?
b) Reserve the entire trip as Anytime (non-Saaver), then phone in when a Saaver seat on the ORD-AUS segment becomes available and try to get the entire trip "downgraded" to Saaver?

Thank you.

Last edited by Middle_Seat; May 26, 2017 at 8:39 pm Reason: Typo fix't
Old May 26, 2017, 7:16 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Originally Posted by Middle_Seat
I'm trying to reserve an award Economy MileSaaver seat from Europe to Austin, and not sure which is the better option. This is for travel in August.

The European city doesn't matter...let's say CDG...and let's say the routing is CDG-ORD-AUS.

If find availability in Saaver from CDG to ORD, but none from ORD to AUS. There are several flights ORD to AUS every day, so ExpertFlyer may find a Saaver seat in the next couple of months.

Should I:
a) Go ahead and reserve only the CDG to ORD segment as Saaver, and later (when a Saaver seat becomes available) phone in to add ORD to AUS at no extra cost in points?
b) Reserve the entire trip as Anytime (non-Saaver), then phone in when a Saaver seat on the ORD-AUS segment becomes available and try to get the entire trip "downgraded" to Saaver?

Thank you.
I would venture to guess that if and when the ORD-AUS saaver availibility opens up the TATL saaver will be gone.
Old May 26, 2017, 8:00 am

This is possible? I thought the origin and destination of an AA award ticket were set once it issued and that changing it would require available inventory (with no guarantee, in this case, that the trans-Atlantic segment would that availability).
Old May 26, 2017, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Are you EXP? If not, either option will incur a fee. Have you priced out what the one-way flight from ORD-AUS would cost if purchased separately for cash? Grabbing the CDG-ORD saver now and buying the domestic segment may end up cheaper; on some days, ORD-AUS is under $100.

Edit to add - If you do plan on (b) and the hope that saver inventory for both segments is available at some point in the future, there's little benefit to booking the Anytime seats now. Since Anytime mirrors paid Y (last seat) availability, it's unlikely that it will become unavailable months or weeks in advance. All you give up by not booking now is seat selection, and your gain is not having to pay the redeposit fee. But given the scarcity of Saver seats these days, I think you're still better off locking in the overseas segment now.

Last edited by swag; May 26, 2017 at 10:20 am
Old May 26, 2017, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Agree with SWAG above, either option suggested will cost the $150 to redeposit miles as you are changing your destination or downgrading an award. You can upgrade your award for no cost, but not downgrade.

If you have found an MS award from Europe- Grab it! It will gone soon.
Old May 27, 2017, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Let's say I find availability in Saaver from CDG to ORD, but none from ORD to AUS. There are several flights ORD to AUS every day, so ExpertFlyer may find a Saaver seat in the next couple of months.

Should I:

Thank you.
What is it with this "when" stuff? The proper word is "if", not "when"! Ie, it is far, far from certain that the ORD-AUS segment will ever become available as a Saver fare. See this giant thread for the evidence:
So every option you list needs to consider what you will do if ORD-AUS doesn't become available, ever. It makes no sense to phrase all your options assuming a certainty that ORD-AUS will become available.
Old May 28, 2017, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
Originally Posted by sdsearch
What is it with this "when" stuff? The proper word is "if", not "when"! Ie, it is far, far from certain that the ORD-AUS segment will ever become available as a Saver fare.
Point well taken. Thank you sdsearch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.