Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wheelchair denied to disabled customer

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
Is the airline, airport, or both responsible for wheelchairs at the airport?

With the bad weather, there were probably lots and lots of cancelled flights. All the wheelchairs might have already been taken by other passengers who were cancelled earlier? Getting your wheelchair out might have been difficult with the thunderstorms?

My experience has been DFW is a mess when it comes to wheelchairs outside of schedule. I have asked the lounge, AMEX Centurion, twice to have a wheelchair for my mom and both times no wheelchair. I was with them when they made the first call and the second call when there wasn't one there. They did warn me that DFW wheelchair service is not reliable outside of scheduled flights.

https://www.wunderground.com/history...lyHistory.html

Weather Underground (Thunderstorms that evening)

8:46 PM 66.9 °F 64.0 °F 90% 29.71 in 1.8 mi West 10.4 mph 20.7 mph 0.03 in Rain , Thunderstorm Heavy Thunderstorms and Rain
8:53 PM 66.9 °F 64.0 °F 90% 29.68 in 0.8 mi NE 3.5 mph - 0.39 in Rain , Thunderstorm Heavy Thunderstorms and Rain
9:01 PM 66.0 °F 64.0 °F 93% 29.69 in 2.0 mi ENE 5.8 mph - 0.07 in Rain , Thunderstorm Thunderstorms and Rain
9:10 PM 66.0 °F 64.0 °F 93% 29.69 in 5.0 mi ESE 6.9 mph - 0.08 in Rain , Thunderstorm Light Thunderstorms and Rain
9:30 PM 66.0 °F 64.0 °F 93% 29.68 in 2.0 mi East 10.4 mph - 0.15 in Rain , Thunderstorm Heavy Thunderstorms and Rain
9:37 PM 66.0 °F 64.0 °F 93% 29.69 in 1.8 mi ESE 10.4 mph - 0.24 in Rain , Thunderstorm Heavy Thunderstorms and Rain
9:45 PM 66.0 °F 64.0 °F 93% 29.70 in 2.5 mi ESE 11.5 mph - 0.30 in Rain , Thunderstorm Heavy Thunderstorms and Rain
9:53 PM 66.0 °F 64.0 °F 93% 29.68 in 2.5 mi SE 11.5 mph - 0.35 in Rain , Thunderstorm Heavy Thunderstorms and Rain
10:09 PM 66.0 °F 64.0 °F 93% 29.68 in 4.0 mi ESE 9.2 mph - 0.05 in Rain , Thunderstorm Heavy Thunderstorms and Rain
10:31 PM 66.0 °F 64.0 °F 93% 29.69 in 2.5 mi ESE 8.1 mph - 0.13 in Rain , Thunderstorm Heavy Thunderstorms and Rain
10:40 PM 66.0 °F 64.0 °F 93% 29.66 in 3.0 mi East 8.1 mph - 0.19 in Rain , Thunderstorm Thunderstorms and Rain
10:53 PM 66.9 °F 64.0 °F 90% 29.66 in 6.0 mi SE 8.1 mph - 0.24 in Rain , Thunderstorm Light Thunderstorms and Rain
11:08 PM 66.9 °F 64.0 °F 90% 29.69 in 10.0 mi SE 5.8 mph - 0.00 in Rain , Thunderstorm Light Thunderstorms and Rain
11:53 PM 68.0 °F 64.9 °F 90% 29.65 in 5.0 mi SE 10.4 mph - 0.04 in Rain , Thunderstorm Light Thunderstorms and Rain
Old May 25, 2017, 11:22 am

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
As I understand it................the airport is required to provide the chair and the airline is required to request the chair. DFW is outside the Americans with Disabilities laws it sounds like to me.

While airlines do have wheelchairs, they are generally those really thin one's to get people onto an aircraft, not to wheel from gate to gate.

As in most things in life, being accessible is a cost negative. The airport has to pay someone to wheel the passenger to baggage or the gate, then that person has to go wheel someone else. The employee tasked with this is a cost and there is no extra revenue to offset it so it's seen as something to run bare-bones.
Old May 25, 2017, 1:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by The smallest state
As I understand it................the airport is required to provide the chair and the airline is required to request the chair. DFW is outside the Americans with Disabilities laws it sounds like to me.
Is that the case that the wheelchairs and the contract employees are provided by DFW?

If so, isn't the poster's issue concern with DFW, not AA.

Also, to be clear to the original poster, as you seemed to have addressed this to Doug Parker, this site is not an official or unofficial site for American Airlines. We do not work for American Airlines and there is no official American Airlines presence on this site. This is not a way of communicating with American Airlines. We are just frequent travelers exchanging information and helping each other when possible.
Old May 25, 2017, 2:11 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Is that the case that the wheelchairs and the contract employees are provided by DFW?

If so, isn't the poster's issue concern with DFW, not AA.
Maybe. As I read the Opening Post, she asked AA who told her "none are available" without even trying to get one. If AA employees requested a chair and were told 'sorry none are available' then I agree with you.
Old May 25, 2017, 2:24 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards
To the OP, how did Customer Relations respond to your certified letter? Did they offer you any compensation? I just had a friend that was denied a wheelchair from an agent because "he didn't look like he needed one" and got a $200 voucher within a couple of days of filing the complaint.
Old May 25, 2017, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by travelguyusa02
To the OP, how did Customer Relations respond to your certified letter? Did they offer you any compensation? I just had a friend that was denied a wheelchair from an agent because "he didn't look like he needed one" and got a $200 voucher within a couple of days of filing the complaint.
The agent actually said that "he didn't look like he needed one"? WOW.
Old May 25, 2017, 3:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Air carriers are covered by the Air Carrier Access Act and more particularly by the DOT rules issued under the ACCA.

https://www.transportation.gov/airco...s-disabilities

The carrier is responsible for having the wheelchair service available, but this does not mean that the carrier must provide the service with its own employees. At most airports, the airport authority provides the service and carriers pay for it as part of rent or through other service fees. None of that changes the carrier's obligation to have the service in place. The same rules also require the carrier to have a "Complaints Resolution Official" available.

But, that is not the issue for OP. OP did not require wheelchair assistance at the airport which was then denied. OP was looking to borrow a wheelchair. It seems to me that the more likely appropriate resolution which a CRO would have arranged would have been having Baggage Services locate OP's wheelchair and deliver the wheelchair to OP, even though AA --- like most carriers --- would not offload luggage to the carousels in this situation as a general matter.

But, bear in mind that this was all avoidable by gate-checking the wheelchair. It would have been taken from OP at the aircraft and delivered back to OP as one of the first items on arrival at DFW.
Old May 25, 2017, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat
I'm still trying to figure out how the passenger got off the plane as well as if the wheelchair was "destroyed", why that wasn't dealt with on the spot and not a year plus later. That is easy compensation and no different than damaged bags.

With such weather one would assume massive cancellations and chaos, but even amidst chaos, I am having a hard time with the story as presented.

Unfortunately, everyone is coming out of the woodwork on past issues to try and get compensation for every little thing and most of the time, it is passenger not following rules and not Airline issue. Not unlike the emotional "service" animals on board that are really just pets that are not trained and have no business in a confined area with strangers inches away.
Old May 25, 2017, 7:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by flyerguy1975
I'm still trying to figure out how the passenger got off the plane as well as if the wheelchair was "destroyed", why that wasn't dealt with on the spot and not a year plus later. That is easy compensation and no different than damaged bags.
Agreed, that part is hard to understand in connection with the failure to complete the journey. From the information above, seems like DFW was just a connection and the wheelchair may have been checked ... in which case they wouldn't have known until the final destination. Additionally, I don't really understand the part about being left in the airport helpless. Certainly some airports have meltdowns when there are a combination of major storms but there are a lot of people who work in the DFW airport. For example, if there was a DFW police officer, I can't imagine that they wouldn't have helped get the situation resolved. Definitely something missing here.
Old May 25, 2017, 10:34 pm

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by The smallest state
This is the number to AA's disability team. They are a special group that assists in passengers with special needs.

800-892-3624

Two thoughts. Have you contacted the Americans with Disabilities Act Enforcement group? They are tasked with making sure that people with disabilities are not just ignored. They are at 800-514-0301........this is not a complaint number though. This is there general 800 number, I would start by indicating you had a serious issue at a major US airport and were told that no wheelchairs were made available.

What is Doug going to do though? and I mean this in the kindest possible way. What do you want from Doug? I work for a very large and well known firm, we have a lot of people calling up and demanding to speak to our owner. (we are privately held) Nobody ever gets through to him that way. Ever. It's just not the way to do it unfortunately.

Good luck to you.
ADA doesn't have jurisdiction over commercial air travel. A person with an issue regarding a disabled person and an airline would be wasting their time pursuing anything related to ADA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.