Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Minimum 4 AA Flights Requirement to Earn AAdvantage Status OVER 1/1/2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 14, 2017, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Four (4) Minimum AA segments NO LONGER required to earn / keep AAdvantage status

SUMMARY: American Airlines had stated a rule for many years that AAdvantage members must fly a minimum of four (paid) AA marketed flights (including those operated by other carriers) or segments during the calendar year to earn status benefits, but this rule was not enforced until c/y 2014. As bhomburg shared and Djokison reported as of May 2014 account summaries included the following:

AA has announced With the addition of EQDs, we’ll remove the rule that 4 segments must be traveled on American or American Eagle during the qualifying year to receive elite status.

The required minimum AA segments rule does not apply starting Jan 1, 2017.

See ARCHIVE / OBSOLETE: Four (4) Minimum AA segments required to earn / keep status for the archived thread on this extinct requirement.
Print Wikipost

Minimum 4 AA Flights Requirement to Earn AAdvantage Status OVER 1/1/2017

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2017, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Minimum AA flights

Is the minimum of 4 AA flights rule still applicable to maintain status? I can't find any note of it on the website.

Thanks

Last edited by JDiver; May 14, 2017 at 1:04 pm Reason: Restore original post title
Old May 14, 2017, 7:59 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by nickplaton
Is the minimum of 4 AA flights rule still applicable to maintain status? I can't find any note of it on the website.

Thanks
There is no requirement of four AA flights credited to AAdvantage for earning AAdvantage status any longer.
Old May 14, 2017, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Very interesting when calling AA. They said there was. Looks like they don't know themselves
Old May 14, 2017, 11:02 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Very interesting when calling AA. They said there was. Looks like they don't know themselves
It is mentioned in the Wiki here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...un-2016-a.html and went away with the EQD requirement. It is possible to earn all the EQD without flying on AA. I think it was in the original AA changes announcement which may still be buried on the web site.
Old May 14, 2017, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA Plat
If you called today, or any weekend or night you did not speak to the AAdvantage department and rez agents do not know everything about the program. It is on the website under program changes since last summer and yes, the 4 AA segment rule was removed with the addition of EQDs for 2017
Old May 14, 2017, 1:05 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Thread title changed, Wikipost added, with link to archived thread on obsolete AA four segments rule.

/Moderator
Old May 14, 2017, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
I'm wondering how many AAdvantage members were affected by the 4-segment minimum rule? Those of us elites who are USA-based almost certainly fly at least 4 segments on AA metal per year, if nothing else to reach the hubs for our longhaul flying. Add in jaunts to the Caribbean, Canada, Mexico, etc., and those are a lot of AA metal segments.

Overseas-based AAdvantage members make a little more sense as to why that rule existed. For example, a HKG-based or SIN-based AAdvantage member could go a whole year just flying CX and QF without touching AA metal. But wouldn't this kind of international-based elite prefer to earn the status on CX or QF rather than on AA? (The non-AA Emerald and Sapphire equivalents are more valuable than AA EXP or AA PLT because they include lounge access on ALL OW itineraries, including those "solely within North America.")

(I say this in ignorance of the qualification requirements on the OW partners...perhaps they are stricter than on AA.)
Old May 14, 2017, 4:12 pm

Programs: United Premier Platinum
My theory is that they put in the 4 segments rule just as a bargaining chip and never expected that it would actually serve as any gatekeeper to elite membership.

By bargaining chip, I mean that it was a rule they could swap out at any moment in exchange for a more restrictive/heavier rule: which is exactly what they did this year by introducing EQDs but eliminating the AA segments rule.

If the minimum segments rule had not been there, it would be hard to pass of eqd's as anything other than devaluation of the program. However, by "exchanging" rules, they can at least maintain the appearance of a reconfiguration and not flat-out devaluation in a PR sense.
Old May 14, 2017, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Originally Posted by mcrw00
My theory is that they put in the 4 segments rule just as a bargaining chip and never expected that it would actually serve as any gatekeeper to elite membership.

By bargaining chip, I mean that it was a rule they could swap out at any moment in exchange for a more restrictive/heavier rule: which is exactly what they did this year by introducing EQDs but eliminating the AA segments rule.

If the minimum segments rule had not been there, it would be hard to pass of eqd's as anything other than devaluation of the program. However, by "exchanging" rules, they can at least maintain the appearance of a reconfiguration and not flat-out devaluation in a PR sense.
I would think that in the past it was a way of saying they want elites who are actually somewhat loyal to AA, not just to Aadvantage. With the introduction of EQDs, they are being clear that they want an elite who is loyal to their bottom line, not to their subpar product
Old May 14, 2017, 5:20 pm

Possibly for complimentary status elite status that is not discussed on flyertalk. Plenty of elite status given away that is not discussed on blogs or flyertalk.
Old May 14, 2017, 6:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Centurion
Possibly for complimentary status elite status that is not discussed on flyertalk. Plenty of elite status given away that is not discussed on blogs or flyertalk.
Then not at all pertinent.

The 4-AA segment rule was rescinded as described and it most certainly -was- enforced when it was around.

Now it's gone.

End of story.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.