Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fare code for voluntary downgrade

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2017, 5:10 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
For what it's worth, I had a recent experience with a similar situation. I had a paid business class DTW-CLT-FCO with a schedule change that resulted in me moving to DTW-PHL-FCO. DTW-PHL only has a coach cabin, so I was downgraded. The rep booked my DTW-PHL in Y, so I'm still expecting 1.5 multiplier. Original booking code was D for my segment.
Old May 8, 2017, 8:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by The smallest state
I agree with OP. If you buy an first class ticket, the airline amends the flight time, you want to rebook, that flight doesn't have first class.............they owe you the difference. I mean AA can make all the little comments about "voluntary downgrade" they want. The OP should get the first class miles or his (assuming a 'he') money back.
He could have cancelled and rebooked - the choice was the OP's to switch flight with no refund.
Old May 9, 2017, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Never mind.
Old May 9, 2017, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by MADPhil
I would think that ORC would not be a problem. It is possible that since the $0.10 per mile is compensation rather than a refund that it might be possible to claim that too without prejudicing the ORC. I wouldn't do it on the same call though.
Thanks everybody. For this small a number of miles I am not really overly concerned but I am interested in learning what is possible. If I was going to request ORC should I do that now or after the flight is completed?

Also - re: other questions on the situation - cancelling and re-booking is an option and I may price that out but I don't expect a huge price advantage there.

To be honest, the main thing I was hoping for when I looked at the new fare code was to have some sort of "status" that would help me in case of IRROPS etc. I know if I was flying first then my re-accommodation would be a priority, now that I am S it doesn't seem so
Old May 9, 2017, 11:45 am

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
Originally Posted by Jish
Thanks everybody. For this small a number of miles I am not really overly concerned but I am interested in learning what is possible. If I was going to request ORC should I do that now or after the flight is completed?

Also - re: other questions on the situation - cancelling and re-booking is an option and I may price that out but I don't expect a huge price advantage there.

To be honest, the main thing I was hoping for when I looked at the new fare code was to have some sort of "status" that would help me in case of IRROPS etc. I know if I was flying first then my re-accommodation would be a priority, now that I am S it doesn't seem so
Fare code doesn't matter in IRROPS. Elite status and check-in time are the only things that really matter, if I'm not mistaken.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.