Search

CitiŽ / AAdvantage + Citi Prestige Card

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2017, 10:13 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by beachfan
Where did you get this? It's NOT true. The points for each account are segregated behind the scenes and each card's points will expire 60 days after you close the card.

https://www.thankyou.com/cms/thankyo...r|ty-term-cond

From the linked t&C's

"If you have multiple Citi Accounts associated with only one ThankYou Account at the time one of your Citi Accounts is closed, you'll lose only the Points that you earned with the closed Citi Account."

What you describe is true for Amex Membership Rewards but not TYPs.
When I go to www.citibank.com, I see ONE TYP, gotten from my useage from 3 Citibank (typ) ccs.
But at www.thankyou.com, I DO see the individual breakdown.
THANKYOU for info, I am planning to cancel my Prestige card, hence I'll start using the TYPs before they are lost!
PS: Even though they are all merged into ONE account for usage, the expirations are tracked individually; I therefore doubt(?) whether I can choose which (accts) TYP to use.???

Last edited by nrr; Apr 19, 2017 at 10:37 am
Old Apr 19, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by nrr
PS: Even though they are all merged into ONE account for usage, the expirations are tracked individually; I therefore doubt(?) whether I can choose which (accts) TYP to use.???
It'll automatically use whichever ones are set to expire first at the time of redemption.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
If you keep the Prestige Card - do points continue with no expiration date - like AMEX?

Although several months ago - I spoke to Citi about the changes and likely hood of cancelling the Prestige. The agent said there was a new card in the works to be announced in June.

So maybe worth seeing what Citi comes up with before you cancel.

Last edited by cova; Apr 19, 2017 at 4:59 pm
Old Apr 19, 2017, 5:15 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Citi's travel insurance on award benefits is limited by the amount you have paid for the ticket in taxes and fees and carrier imposed surcharges. Definitely worse than Chase on award tickets.

I agree it's better on revenue tickets.
I did not realize that difference existed, but reading the Citi and Chase guide to travel benefits confirms you are correct. Thanks.

What about using Amex Membership Awards to book travel? Are there taxes/fees associated with that, wherein you could use the Chase card to engage the travel benefits?
Old Apr 19, 2017, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by jcatman
I did not realize that difference existed, but reading the Citi and Chase guide to travel benefits confirms you are correct. Thanks.

What about using Amex Membership Awards to book travel? Are there taxes/fees associated with that, wherein you could use the Chase card to engage the travel benefits?
You can transfer Amex MR points to a partner. I think you have to charge the taxes/fees to an Amex card to get the benefits (such as 5x points on Platinum personal Amex or 50% rebate on points via Platinum Business Amex).
Old Apr 19, 2017, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, Pro, Marriott Platinum, Sonesta Preferred
That could be an interesting option. I would much prefer to somehow retain the points I got from prestige and "transfer" it to another citi card. But like you said, I might wait until June-ish before I cancel and see what option they will have.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Citi's travel insurance on award benefits is limited by the amount you have paid for the ticket in taxes and fees and carrier imposed surcharges. Definitely worse than Chase on award tickets.

I agree it's better on revenue tickets.
Thanks you for the heads up - will use Sapphire for future award reservations.

How does Citi travel insurance work when using TY points to "purchase" seats (1.6x)?
Old Apr 22, 2017, 5:57 pm
In memoriam

I'm assuming that if there is an open seat on an AA flight, I can purchase it with my TY Points. Can anyone confirm this? (The various routings on the TY website obviously can't contain all choices.)

Thanks.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by normcpa
I'm assuming that if there is an open seat on an AA flight, I can purchase it with my TY Points. Can anyone confirm this? (The various routings on the TY website obviously can't contain all choices.)

Thanks.
Like most other carriers, AA routinely overbooks flights, so the odds are quite good. I have found that the TY website does not show inventory 330 days out, have had to call a couple of times (HUCA on one occasion) to book (discounted biz/first over Xmas), CSR had to access a different system to book. Unlike AA, TYP travel agency does not change a phone booking fee, so if the website does not cooperate, it is worth calling.

As we have all seen in the recent news coverage in regard to overbooking: strongly consider the implications of being one of the last to buy a discounted coach seat - particularly if you do not have status - unless of course you would like to earn a voucher for VDB, have flexible travel plans.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 10:28 pm
In memoriam

Thanks, diver858. (Looks like we're neighbors.)

Last edited by normcpa; Apr 22, 2017 at 10:29 pm Reason: Make "D" small

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.