Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Article in The Hollywood Reporter Compares 1st Class LAX-JFK/EWR, AA Comes Out On Top

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Article in The Hollywood Reporter Compares 1st Class LAX-JFK/EWR, AA Comes Out On Top

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2017, 3:25 pm
JBD
Original Poster

Post Article in The Hollywood Reporter Compares 1st Class LAX-JFK/EWR, AA Comes Out On Top

New article in The Hollywood Reporter compares first class equipment and services for AA, DL, UA and B6 on the film industry ladened transcon route:

First Class Face-Off: The Hollywood Reporter Flies the L.A.-NYC Corridor Four Times for 36 Hours Straight

Old Apr 17, 2017, 3:39 pm

Comparing F to J products? I wonder if the cozy relationship between the publication and AA had any impact...

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300200565.html
Old Apr 17, 2017, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA EP
AA has some deal with them. Sounds like a puff piece as part of their involvement/relationship
Originally Posted by ElCaminoReal
Comparing F to J products? I wonder if the cozy relationship between the publication and AA had any impact...

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300200565.html

Last edited by AAExecPlatFlier; Apr 17, 2017 at 4:56 pm
Old Apr 17, 2017, 4:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

With the comparison to JetBlue, the only part where JetBlue's premium cabin did worse in score against AA 1st class was with lounge. $2640 extra for a lounge would have me classing Mint as the best value of the options based on that article
Old Apr 17, 2017, 4:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
With the comparison to JetBlue, the only part where JetBlue's premium cabin did worse in score against AA 1st class was with lounge. $2640 extra for a lounge would have me classing Mint as the best value of the options based on that article
HA! Great point!
Old Apr 17, 2017, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
And the wine. You could buy a few bottles of Opus One for that, though.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 4:18 pm

I wrote the story. Just wanted to clarify a few things.

-All four airlines have advertised with us. Had nothing to do with the story.
-No airline was anointed the winner. If you read the story that's clear.
-The conceit was to compare the most premium product each airline had on the LAX-NYC route. The fact that some are first and some are business class is made clear.

Cheers,
Peter
Old Apr 17, 2017, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA EP
Allot of your airport experience on AA does not appear to be standard 5*. I take it that AAa rolled out a special experience for you and that you did not pay for it?
Originally Posted by pflax1

-The conceit was to compare the most premium product each airline had on the LAX-NYC route. The fact that some are first and some are business class is made clear.

Cheers,
Peter
Old Apr 17, 2017, 5:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
Allot of your airport experience on AA does not appear to be standard 5*. I take it that AAa rolled out a special experience for you and that you did not pay for it?
Could turn into a bit of a pot <-> kettle thing here
Old Apr 17, 2017, 5:26 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT
Nice job Peter, I enjoyed your piece. I can think of worse assignments!

Sounds like for your next story you need to review the 4 best health clubs in LA to work off all the great food and booze.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 5:28 pm

I had some level of special treatment on American, Delta and United. Much of our print audience are Hollywood folk who are the recipients of such perks and I don't say or suggest that everyone who buys a ticket gets secret passageways or a helicopter ride. You seem to be on the hunt for some sort of untoward AA/THR situation, but it simply wasn't the case.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pflax1

Cheers,
Peter
Welcome to Flyertalk!

I envy you - you flew four transcons in 36 hours in premium seats and were paid to do it, while crazy people like me have done it for years on our own dime. Well done.

Had AA not let the food service slip over the past few years (those changes accelerated by new management in 2014), AA could have swept the categories in your review. Cheaping out on the food seems like penny-wise, pound-foolish at those prices.

One tiny nitpicking correction to the AA food: the snickerdoodle was warmed up on board but was baked ahead of time. AA used to bake the cookies onboard with Otis Spunkmeyer frozen dough. The main difference is that the cookies tend to be harder and dryer faster with the re-warmed cookies compared to their freshly-baked predecessors.

After finally getting serious about competing on the JFK transcons, DL has done very well at attracting the high-fare passengers.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 5:34 pm

Snickerdoodle situation duly noted.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you read the article, it's quite clear it's the entire ground experience that's significantly better on AA, not just the lounge. Worth $2600+? Not for us, but for A-listers, perhaps.

Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
It sounded like typical 5* offering to me, but no mention was made that it is in addition to the regular flagship check-in service. That said, it seemed the author must have purchased comparable premium ground services from DL and UA as well (and I suppose B6 doesn't even offer it).

I thought it was a fun read.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 5:39 pm

I got fewer perks than Julie Andrews did.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.